Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I am trying to work out how best to use the fiddle-yard when operating the May 1911 timetable and have stolen some of the grandchildren's Lego to play virtual trains. White bricks for motive power and railmotors, red for carriages, blue for trucks, yellow for brown vehicles and grey for Toads. It gets complicated enough on my limited runs of track - planning for  large teams on big cub layouts must take some doing.

20240719_162538.jpg.d8b0d41eb01cd870b41a978ea8a266f1.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I am trying to work out how best to use the fiddle-yard when operating the May 1911 timetable and have stolen some of the grandchildren's Lego to play virtual trains. White bricks for motive power and railmotors, red for carriages, blue for trucks, yellow for brown vehicles and grey for Toads. It gets complicated enough on my limited runs of track - planning for  large teams on big cub layouts must take some doing.

20240719_162538.jpg.d8b0d41eb01cd870b41a978ea8a266f1.jpg

That's a great idea. Unfortunately my grandchildren's Lego is 10,000 miles away so I'll have to carry on using Post-its.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't see any evidence of bufferbeam numbers being applied to 517s before c late 1920s.

Buffer beam numbers presumably came in following the invention of train spotters, who needed to identify locomotives from end on, from e.g. road over-bridges.

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Slight correction to an earlier post - I can't see any evidence of bufferbeam numbers being applied to 517s before c late 1920s.

Well that's even simpler - so just the numbers on the side tanks, nothing on the buffers, no route / power disk and no "Great Western" either! In fact apart form the rather nice crimson paint very little decoration at all!

In due course I am hoping to add the experimental 0-4-4T number 34 to my stable at Helston, but that one I think was lined green, with brass dome and valve cover plus the brass ring around the end of the firebox, and maybe even the ring where the smokebox joins the boiler. This ran at Helston somewhen around 1900-1908.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Another small painting conundrum. I have a copy of a very early drawing showing the locations of the three street lamps in Station Road, Helston. These sit outside the GWR boundary fence and so I assume must have belong to the Town Corporation. So what colour to paint them? In the same bit of road I have the stink pipe which I have painted grass green. Perhaps the street lamps should match? I do not think the railway would have considered it their job to maintain these lamps so there seems no reason to use a GWR painting scheme.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2024 at 08:41, Miss Prism said:

Slight correction to an earlier post - I can't see any evidence of bufferbeam numbers being applied to 517s before c late 1920s.

There is a photo in David Maidment's book on four-coupled locos showing 202 with a buffer beam number - the photo is dated c1910. There is also one of 538 showing both the buffer beam number and the "No", but that is dated c1900. And finally there is one of 530 with buffer beam number dated c1920. In the GWRJ there is a photo of 538 with both number and "No", dated c1909 and 1475 with just the number dated 1922. But equally there are plenty of photos without either until you get to the later 1920's and early 1930's when having just the number seems to be pretty common.

So does this mean I can have the numbers if I want but its not critical?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Thanks, that's interesting. I had previously thought that bufferbeam numbering had started c 1904, so that 538 pic date of c 1900 seems very early. The No (on the opposite side of the drawhook) probably went out of fashion c 1910-12 (?), but it seems bufferbeam numerals on locos other than express passenger engines were rare/sporadic until the early 20s, maybe a bit before. I don't know why such an inconsistent loco identification policy would have been allowed to continue for so long.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I had previously thought that bufferbeam numbering had started c 1904, so that 538 pic date of c 1900 seems very early. The No (on the opposite side of the drawhook) probably went out of fashion c 1910-12 (?), but it seems bufferbeam numerals on locos other than express passenger engines were rare/sporadic until the early 20s, maybe a bit before. I don't know why such an inconsistent loco identification policy would have been allowed to continue for so long.

Yes its very mixed - but since the crimson loco paint was not used for very long, my current thinking is that when painting a humble tank in crimson it would not have gotten buffer beam numbers, even if some of the green 517s had them at that time, so I will leave it off my model.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

The villa on the corner of the goods yard entrance is now pretty much done. I just need to add a few hens to the back garden by the hen coop. Fred's roses are looking good in the front garden and his crop of tomatoes has ripened nicely in the south Cornish sunshine.

One thought remains - should there be some chicken wire around the hen coop to restrict where his birds can go or not and if so how to model the netting - has anybody done some chicken wire netting anywhere?

20240724_075731.jpg.ad9ab8b1c3e4b7282f0d14c31f37db2c.jpg

20240724_075832.jpg.75a5a2fe33c77d1b01726d4832c58797.jpg

The houses look great @Andy Keane, I particularly like the flowers, how have you made them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Neal, I cannot claim them as my own! The flowers are from ScaleModelScenery: https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/oo-scale-9-c.asp#4ac1/fullscreen/m=and&q=flowers while the tomatoes are Gaugemaster: https://railsofsheffield.com/products/gaugemaster-gm1620-tomato-plants-6 . The flowers are self adhesive and very easy to use, the tommys come with their own base and I have edged that with soil scatter.

The front tiled paths are to my design by Jakub at LCut.

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

has anybody done some chicken wire netting anywhere?

Typical chicken wire is <1mm diameter so bit of a challenge here scaling that down to ~0.01mm . Stretched hosiery comes to mind but as to which Dernier would be appropriate that is trickier!

Clearly some in depth research is required!😈🤣

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Typical chicken wire is <1mm diameter so bit of a challenge here scaling that down to ~0.01mm . Stretched hosiery comes to mind but as to which Dernier would be appropriate that is trickier!

Clearly some in depth research is required!😈🤣

I think it really may be impossible in 4mm. Also I have consulted the farming side of the household and she pulled out some 1920's photos of her family's hens at play - it turns out back then the wire was six feet high and only used to keep foxes out at night - during the day they just went where the wanted and at night they either went into closed coops or behind these high fences. So I will adopt rule 1 and rely on the quite tall back garden fence and skip the chicken wire - despite the research possibilities.

• Like 6

My grandfather was a poultry breeder in rural S Glos. between the Wars before retiring at a relatively young age, something his grandson and great grandson both echoed to their advantage. His favourite stories were to tell us of getting out with a shogun in the evening and using the deterrent approach but I suspect that might not be an option in your backyard location.

Rather OT but my recent research has turned up the place he lived / raised chooks in Yate; the house and poultry shed still exist 100 years on but the latter now is some sort of garage / workshop.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We are in Tywyn mid-Wales at the moment and their is a house close to the station where the chickens are freely roaming the garden.

There’s a prototype for everything 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A bit more progress on the 517. Roof on, safety valves bonnet on, buffers on, tools on back, crew in, glazing done, speaker and grill in bunker, revised plates, red headlamp, paint toned down with light weathering. It needs some coal of course and some dirt on the buffers but overall when viewed at normal distance it will I think look fine.

20240725_151415.jpg.99d4f64be946c059db03925ab66c894c.jpg

20240725_151517.jpg.4099befedfa777b36d44e42d1878ba93.jpg20240725_151437.jpg.8d61c1ed67e9d9e998a622faa5abbcee.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I am now at work on the buildings of Station Road. At the time I am modelling there were seven of these and they are all still standing: a double fronted detached house, a pair of semis and four in a terrace, all covered in smooth render. I think these were built by the GWR for their staff with the double fronted detached house being for the station master:  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1056284,-5.2690223,3a,90y,227.52h,88.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC8zhUDZ8zpRWP__gdbrmgg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Given they remain I can model them fairly accurately, but what colours would the woodwork have been painted in? What colour would the render have been painted? Does anyone have any info on how GWR housing was painted in 1930? All I can find is the short paragraph in the Structure Colours book that says:

"The GWR owned many houses for occupation by staff. It is recorded that the gutters, down pipes, etc., and most of the woodwork on these, were usually painted with dark green paint, presumably similar to Bridge Green. Window sashes, casements and fanlights were painted white. However, there is photographic evidence that houses adjacent to the operational railway were, in some cases at least, finished in the standard stone colours, again with white window sashes, casements and fanlights."

If I follow this the woodwork needs to be bridge green and white as the houses are outside of the station perimeter fencing. There is nothing about the paint for the render. And how does bridge green compare to the green used on GWR locos? I have no accurate source for this colour.

All thoughts most welcome.

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On some of the houses the render appears to represent dressed stone walls. So it might have not been painted at all or have been painted to look like local stone, which is what the side of the houses look like they’ve been made from.

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

On some of the houses the render appears to represent dressed stone walls. So it might have not been painted at all or have been painted to look like local stone, which is what the side of the houses look like they’ve been made from.

Yes indeed - I had been wondering about a pale cement colour followed by some light weathering.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst doing the CAD on the Station Road houses I have also been building up the latest six ton hand crane kit supplied by @Harlequin.

This has superb detail on it and is going to be a real highlight of the layout. Mine will be motorised to swivel around as well hence the base detail is slightly different on my build to the standard kit. If you have a GWR goods yard this is really a very fine way of spending £35:

20240803_171157.jpg.fee8bb2504400d4cfb6a06a875cc247f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1