Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe I need some horse manure on the rather pristine macadam roadway

This subject was covered at length a while back, instigated by @Mikkel iirc. It’s likely that someone has already been out with the pan and taken it for the station gardens* / allotments / roses at the cottage**. 

* there used to be competitions for them

** any reference to real places living or model is purely coincidental. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

This subject was covered at length a while back, instigated by @Mikkel iirc. It’s likely that someone has already been out with the pan and taken it for the station gardens* / allotments / roses at the cottage**. 

* there used to be competitions for them

** any reference to real places living or model is purely coincidental. 

Station garden competitions were very highly sought after / prized

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Station garden competitions were very highly sought after / prized

As far as I can tell Helston never had a station garden. I guess the slope it was built on prevented that. But the front gardens in Station Road and Godolphin Road will figure.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

As far as I can tell Helston never had a station garden. I guess the slope it was built on prevented that. But the front gardens in Station Road and Godolphin Road will figure.

You are not alone - the platforms at Henley-on-Thames didn't have space for gardens - Twyford did and regularly won prizes back in the day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Sounds like you are after a 1920 condition loco.

Yes indeed - to go with one of the upcoming crimson Dapol autocoaches. Hopefully my paint on the loco will not be too far from that on the autocoach.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Dapol's 523 looks like your best choice. (Crimson 517s tended to have closed cabs, being associated with passenger traffic.)

So I am kit building a crimson 517 with closed cab, but also have a Dapol 517 Class 0-4-2 539 Lined G.W Green Red Frames on order.

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Andy - but in common with many worrying moments or dilemmas during layout construction (that are essential steps on the road to some sort of closure in such matters obviously).......you won't notice it in about 2 weeks.....it will just be part of the big picture...😉

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2024 at 20:06, Andy Keane said:

I have finished the parcels rig and it looks rather nice in the little parcels loading bay that was at the end of the station building. Dobbin's home in the stable block is on the opposite hill in this shot. Maybe I need some horse manure on the rather pristine macadam roadway.

20240711_185715.jpg.e7438d99da5ab6fd07893c43824e5f58.jpg

20240711_185457.jpg.75b50d2abdc152590d37a478895c8153.jpg

Hi Andy, good to see the Parcels Van finished and in place, looks good. I'm gussing the posters were white, but that's nitpicking and we don't have colour photos, so who knows.

The scene in your photos above is wonderful, it all comes together so well.

Edited by Mikkel
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I'm guessing the posters were white

Ah yes - I just copied your file and did not think about its background, but I suppose they would have been paper rolls glued into place and changed from time to time while the "EXPRESS" lettering would have been printed or painted on. But as you say it hardly notices though I might revisit the little truck one day.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2024 at 08:22, Miss Prism said:

Yes.

Sounds like you are after a 1920 condition loco.

@Miss Prism would a crimson 517 have had a route colour disk with weight group letter somewhere? And if so where would I place it? Or were these a later idea?

thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Andy, good to see the Parcels Van finished and in place, looks good. I'm gussing the posters were white, but that's nitpicking and we don't have colour photos, so who knows.

The scene in your photos above is wonderful, it all comes together so well.

Now with a proper poster:

20240716_132022.jpg.21141c22c6c195314a43425971152801.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That was quick!

Well I had to hand the test print page I used before making the decals so it was just a quick snip with the scissors and some glueNglaze. I find if I don't react to these things they get added to the (very long) list of things needing doing that never get done.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

@Miss Prism would a crimson 517 have had a route colour disk with weight group letter somewhere? And if so where would I place it? Or were these a later idea?

Afaik, the only 0-4-2Ts with a route restriction were the 3571 class, whose rear driver was a bit over 14T, so were yellow locos. The 517s and 48/14xx were uncoloured, and had a nul power classification. According to Wikipedia, the 48/14xx had a TE of 13900 lbf and the 517 was 12,635–14,780 lbf, that upper figure being derived I assume for the locos fitted with 16.5" cylinders. (Power class A began at 16500 lbs.)

For eligible locos, the first application of a route/power disc I can detect is mid-1919, but it would be two or three years after that before they became prevalent. I don't detect there was any rush to apply them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Afaik, the only 0-4-2Ts with a route restriction were the 3571 class, whose rear driver was a bit over 14T, so were yellow locos. The 517s and 48/14xx were uncoloured, and had a nul power classification. According to Wikipedia, the 48/14xx had a TE of 13900 lbf and the 517 was 12,635–14,780 lbf, that upper figure being derived I assume for the locos fitted with 16.5" cylinders. (Power class A began at 16500 lbs.)

For eligible locos, the first application of a route/power disc I can detect is mid-1919, but it would be two or three years after that before they became prevalent. I don't detect there was any rush to apply them.

Many thanks - I did suspect there was no need given the photo you posted here earlier of the brown variant.

• RMweb Premium

I have now finished the colour coats on the little 517 loco and wafted satin varnish over the whole thing including the Railtec waterslide number plates etc. The next stage is to decide what to do about the various bits of black and how matt to make them. @Gilbert could you advise on what you would do? I guess the smokebox should be completely matt but what about the sides of the frame below the running plate? Also what about the buffer beams? When I have done that I will put some frame dirt around the lower areas and the mearest hint of smoke dirt along the top as I am assuming back in 1920 locos were kept pretty clean. All thoughts much appreciated and thanks to @Miss Prism for advice so far - I hope I have this about right.

20240717_085915.jpg.2e7cab6ccf7cc04bcb5065d131919764.jpg

20240717_085926.jpg.c6c7a7ece31d71d931c6f6053a15c5d7.jpg

20240717_085936.jpg.63ade3d80bf561f5b09c3b27a8930a9c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I have now finished the colour coats on the little 517 loco and wafted satin varnish over the whole thing including the Railtec waterslide number plates etc. The next stage is to decide what to do about the various bits of black and how matt to make them. @Gilbert could you advise on what you would do? I guess the smokebox should be completely matt but what about the sides of the frame below the running plate? Also what about the buffer beams? When I have done that I will put some frame dirt around the lower areas and the mearest hint of smoke dirt along the top as I am assuming back in 1920 locos were kept pretty clean. All thoughts much appreciated and thanks to @Miss Prism for advice so far - I hope I have this about right.

20240717_085915.jpg.2e7cab6ccf7cc04bcb5065d131919764.jpg

20240717_085926.jpg.c6c7a7ece31d71d931c6f6053a15c5d7.jpg

20240717_085936.jpg.63ade3d80bf561f5b09c3b27a8930a9c.jpg

That is looking good Andy. My thoughts on the weathering are that after WW1, the cleaning standards were never quite as good as they were before 1914, as the railways struggled both in manpower and finance. So it would take a little bit of weathering if you fancy it.

The number plate position is interesting. Is it a shade too far back? The ones I am familiar with have the front edge of the plate just behind a vertical row of rivets that look to be on the centre line of the tank. It may be they varied and that you have based it on a photo of 1163 or it may be that if it isn't quite right, you don't fancy altering it at this stage!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

That is looking good Andy. My thoughts on the weathering are that after WW1, the cleaning standards were never quite as good as they were before 1914, as the railways struggled both in manpower and finance. So it would take a little bit of weathering if you fancy it.

The number plate position is interesting. Is it a shade too far back? The ones I am familiar with have the front edge of the plate just behind a vertical row of rivets that look to be on the centre line of the tank. It may be they varied and that you have based it on a photo of 1163 or it may be that if it isn't quite right, you don't fancy altering it at this stage!

Cheers

Tony

Tony

As it is now varnished it will have to stay put. The number plates certainly did move around a bit and there are half a dozen photos of early 517s without lettering and with it in the position I have used. Given I have no evidence of 1163 in crimson and without lettering, I am already using rule number 1 anyway.

Andy

• Like 7

On bufferbeam notation, the 'No' in front of the number shouldn't be there - that disappeared a long time before crimson locos appeared. (I'm not sure exactly when - will add this to the 'items to be investigated' list.)

The numberplate should not be lined because the loco is not lined.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

On bufferbeam notation, the 'No' in front of the number shouldn't be there - that disappeared a long time before crimson locos appeared. (I'm not sure exactly when - will add this to the 'items to be investigated' list.)

The numberplate should not be lined because the loco is not lined.

Ho hum! back to the modelling board! I will get another set from Steve and try harder. Any other blunders? Should the buffer beam be matt red?

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2