Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I, too, think it should be a bit (lot?) blacker.

I agree this is how the photo looks, but this is partly down to the lighting in my spray booth. It is blacker to the naked eye. I will pop one onto the boards and photograph it there when it has had a couple of days to dry.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Have you tried matt varnish to prevent that, or doesn't that work either?  

I haven’t, but think it is the base level adhesion that is the issue. I am following the advice from the Missenden staff regarding the primer, though I have tried blackening solution in the past as well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I have very gingerly popped a bit or railing into its place so as to better gauge the colours - how does it look now?

20240710_084631.jpg.5649da040ef602828bec96e9493c7cd0.jpg

20240710_084616.jpg.d54e5c5cb4338984d153e906d8b38294.jpg

Looks great now! ☺️

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Looks great now! ☺️

As ever photography hugely depends on lighting. But it does make me wonder if I should change the bulb in my spray booth.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

But it does make me wonder if I should change the bulb in my spray booth.

I made a 'light' out of the spare led strip I used for layout lighting in my spray booth.  The intention being that if it looks right in the booth when dry, it should look the same on the layout.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I made a 'light' out of the spare led strip I used for layout lighting in my spray booth.  The intention being that if it looks right in the booth when dry, it should look the same on the layout.  

Good idea - as you say then they are both the same.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I have very gingerly popped a bit or railing into its place so as to better gauge the colours - how does it look now?

20240710_084631.jpg.5649da040ef602828bec96e9493c7cd0.jpg

20240710_084616.jpg.d54e5c5cb4338984d153e906d8b38294.jpg

Spot on Andy...

ChrisH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile this is my rather poor attempt to reproduce a GWR parcels cart following @Mikkel's superb model. These things are tiny of course, so the photo is very cruel. I have no idea how Mikkel achieves the results he does!

20240711_094822.jpg.f0c0bb3cd25c6854d80a6e1336c56b7d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Meanwhile this is my rather poor attempt to reproduce a GWR parcels cart following @Mikkel's superb model. These things are tiny of course, so the photo is very cruel. I have no idea how Mikkel achieves the results he does!

20240711_094822.jpg.f0c0bb3cd25c6854d80a6e1336c56b7d.jpg

Where are the faults @Andy Keane I cant see them! I think maybe you are over-thinking it.

Thats going to look great with a horse and maybe a "Carter" just about to leave the station - or similar.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Soon I will have to model the lawns in the few houses I have at Helston. I could just use 2mm static grass but this seems to me to be rather unrealistically long. Does anyone have any better ideas? Ideally I want the garden lawns to look more manicured than the grass on embankments and in the fields.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

Soon I will have to model the lawns in the few houses I have at Helston. I could just use 2mm static grass but this seems to me to be rather unrealistically long. Does anyone have any better ideas? Ideally I want the garden lawns to look more manicured than the grass on embankments and in the fields.

Sounds like one of the few occasions when a grass mat may suit? I'd want to see one in the flesh before I committed though...

Chris

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2024 at 11:33, Miss Prism said:

Ooooh, just a thought - on a crimson lake 517, there is a question over the colour of the valence. My guess is probably black.

@Miss Prism - on a crimson 517 would the "GREAT WESTERN" lettering be yellow or gold?

thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

No insignia on a crimson 517.

Wow - that simplifies things! So just the number plate. By 1934 my loco (1163) had its plate at the rear of the tank. Do you think it have been there when crimson? I assume normal buffer beam numbers as well?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

1134 was in crimson?

Well we don't know that. We do no she operated at Helston and I wanted a change from green locos so I am applying rule 1. But I guess it is just possible she was in crimson. I assume normal buffer beam numbers though?

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Chris, the main target is 1930 for the layout. But I have three sets of rolling stock: 1914-1920, 1930 and a present day preserved line that allows anything (including Peak and Deltic diesels)!

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Chris, the main target is 1930 for the layout. But I have three sets of rolling stock: 1914-1920, 1930 and a present day preserved line that allows anything (including Peak and Deltic diesels)!

Regards

Andy

Cheers Andy - my latest micro is 1930's (ish) so I'm interested in details etc.

Chris

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Cheers Andy - my latest micro is 1930's (ish) so I'm interested in details etc.

Chris

Oh cripes. As my wife will confirm, I am a completely unreliable witness.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh cripes. As my wife will confirm, I am a completely unreliable witness.

but only you and I will know....