Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium

The piggies have made it to the cattle pen on the goods platform. Somebody has thoughtfully put down some feeding troughs as the cattle water troughs that are built in are too tall for theses chaps to use. Hopefully they will be happy for the final journey!

20240916_160511.jpg.497bea4593ccda1a9612ea1becfd6673.jpg

20240916_160455.jpg.168170118d873f177d07757cebeb2462.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile I am working on the GWR buildings in Station Road for the Station Master and his team. Because Station Road drops off the edge of my baseboards I cannot get all of these buildings in. I just get numbers 2-7 and even then 2,3 and 4 are heavily truncated so that even their chimneys are lost. Not quite sure how this will look in reality but the CAD image is roughly like this:

station_road3.png.d57a2e6ed67b9cdf80e0e6909f002374.png

Not at all sure what to do about this. The front of the layout looks at the back of these houses, but they are needed to give Station Road the sort of canyon like feel it has in real life, with the road running up between these houses and the railway embankment.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Meanwhile I am working on the GWR buildings in Station Road for the Station Master and his team. Because Station Road drops off the edge of my baseboards I cannot get all of these buildings in. I just get numbers 2-7 and even then 2,3 and 4 are heavily truncated so that even their chimneys are lost. Not quite sure how this will look in reality but the CAD image is roughly like this:

station_road3.png.d57a2e6ed67b9cdf80e0e6909f002374.png

Not at all sure what to do about this. The front of the layout looks at the back of these houses, but they are needed to give Station Road the sort of canyon like feel it has in real life, with the road running up between these houses and the railway embankment.

Could you make them complete or half relief so that their ridgelines and chimneys are present and fix them so that they overhang the edge of the layout slightly?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Could you make them complete or half relief so that their ridgelines and chimneys are present and fix them so that they overhang the edge of the layout slightly?

Maybe an overhang is the answer, just going up and over the ridge to get the chimneys in.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Stephen, where are you modelling. I am anlways interested in a fellow modellers work.

I'm in Canada, mainly working on 3d printing rolling stock for the Edwardian period on the Falmouth branch line. I have a topic in 3D printing. Currently to busy with a major renovation to do any modelling.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, stevel said:

I'm in Canada, mainly working on 3d printing rolling stock for the Edwardian period on the Falmouth branch line. I have a topic in 3D printing. Currently to busy with a major renovation to do any modelling.

Great, thanks. I have been and looked and love your CAD. I use CAD a lot and so I know just how much effort your models must take - terrific. And I definitely need an early saddle tank.

I am also interested in the E19 early B set carriages as these seem to have run into Helston behind early saddle tanks.

Maybe they are on your list too?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

The piggies have made it to the cattle pen on the goods platform. Somebody has thoughtfully put down some feeding troughs as the cattle water troughs that are built in are too tall for theses chaps to use. Hopefully they will be happy for the final journey!

20240916_160511.jpg.497bea4593ccda1a9612ea1becfd6673.jpg

20240916_160455.jpg.168170118d873f177d07757cebeb2462.jpg

Absolutely brilliant attention to detail - I never fail to be surprised at the things I learn as a result of an interest in railway modelling. Congratulations on achieving your diploma in Porcine Cosmetic Surgery

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, stevel said:

Stephen,

You probably know all this from your research, but just in case you haven't found these bits and pieces this might be useful.

Falmouth had a loco shed and small turntable until the 1920's, when they were removed. The track to the shed was only partially removed and the water crane left in situ. I also think the layout of the sidings on the Dock's side of the station was also modified.

Penryn's station layout was extensively changed in the 1920's/30's. The result being that Penryn became the only station on the branch with the tracks between the platforms at standard gauge spacing and the station building being some way from the platforms.

Hope this has been useful.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Stephen,

You probably know all this from your research, but just in case you haven't found these bits and pieces this might be useful.

Falmouth had a loco shed and small turntable until the 1920's, when they were removed. The track to the shed was only partially removed and the water crane left in situ. I also think the layout of the sidings on the Dock's side of the station was also modified.

Penryn's station layout was extensively changed in the 1920's/30's. The result being that Penryn became the only station on the branch with the tracks between the platforms at standard gauge spacing and the station building being some way from the platforms.

Hope this has been useful.

My plan is to model Penryn as it was in the pre WW1 period, pre track layout changes. I have some Loco allocation lists from that period, and the shed seems to have been run down before the war, as loco's get moved to Truro shed. One thing that is puzzling me is the cattle wagon traffic, according to modelling branchlines part 2, is shown as 14,000 wagons + per year, do you have any info on that.

Stephen

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Curtesy of Mr Bambrick the embankment now has some trees. He is really good at these. When they have settled in I will think about a little underplanting of bushes.

Not forgetting that your usual animal supplier provides items just perfect to be caught for the Sheffield Rabbit - or the Station Master's pot.

Wabbit Wun.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

Not forgetting that your usual animal supplier provides items just perfect to be caught for the Sheffield Rabbit - or the Station Master's pot.

Wabbit Wun.jpg

At first glance, I thought they were kangaroos.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure who @Pete Haitch is referring to, but 4mm scale rabbits can be had from ModelU, model scenery supplies and west hill wagon works. But am I not right in thinking they are mostly nocturnal?

In fact apparently they are crepuscular meaning they come out at dawn and dusk so not when Helston had trains running in the summer.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, thank you Pete!

Yes, I seem to be trapped in a bit of children's book nostalgia at the moment.

No cattle pen full of badgers though, there are limits!

Andy, the embankment looks superb. Very inspiring as always.

Edited by Mikkel
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I may have let my eBay habit get the better of me, but following advice from @Pete Haitch I now have a sufficient supply of PO wagons that might conceivably have gotten to Helston (28 in total, mostly opens but one three plank and one container flat):20240919_130554.jpg.f794ecae2b3c077907fd3e408e4f19c6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1