N Gauge/2mm what distance should lines be apart?

• RMweb Gold

Can someone please advise me what the recommended distance should be between the tracks?   Also, would the measurement be from the centre of each nearest rail or sleeper, or perhaps the outer edge?

cheers,

Mike (before I stick the stuff down in the wrong place).

• RMweb Premium

I'm not an N gauge modeller so can't say whether or not the loading gauge figures in the 2mm Org "standard" quoted are correct or not, but don't forget that the prototype distances quoted (as for any BR/Railtrack/NR gauge or clearance standard) are the minimum distances allowable, therefore you can increase the distances to "get them to work". However, in doing so, I appreciate that some things might look a bit odd/more noticeable than perhaps they would for, say, 7mm scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian and Nick.  That standard says 6ft between outside edges of the rails, which works out about 12.5mm separation.  I'll put a couple of tracks on a board and stick two loco's side be side to check.  The loco's are only Lone Star tin models but they will give me an idea.

cheers,
Mike

It's worth highlighting that the 6 ft between adjacent line is appropriate where your track is laid to prototypical radii.  Once you get down to using curves as tight as about 3ft in N gauge, you're probably going to need to start thinking about widening the separation a little on the curves, although the extent to which widening is necessary depends on the stock that you plan to operate.  Increasing the separation distance is more important if you plan on running large bogie wagons or Mark 3 coaching stock than it is if you plan on running 0-6-0 tank locomotives with 10ft wheelbase wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David.  My set up will be a non-working diorama layout so nothing will actually be running.  There will only be a few curves; however, there will be lots of points and scissor crossovers in a small area.

cheers,
Mike