Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Do you know what the vessel in ?

Adrian

I thought it looked Mersey Ferry-like; a bit of a web search confirms it's the Egremont, which was withdrawn in 1975 and became a club ship in Salcombe for many years.  Apparently it was under threat of scrapping in Sharpness five years ago, so someone must have stepped in to take it on but it looks like it's been untouched since then.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

It looks like a passenger ferry. 
Northmoor beat me to it. 

Edited by 96701
Missed a response.
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2024 at 21:56, figworthy said:

Adrian

Is it the royal iris from the mersey?...possibly but did read some where the hulk was breached and listing to one side? Did also read the Liverpool echo had started a go fund save the iris

• Informative/Useful 1

Bristol, earlier in the week. I was there for a museum conference at M Shed; unfortunately being a weekday the Harbour Railway wasn’t operating, but I understand the quayside section from M Shed to the SS Great Britain is used currently. The section along the New Cut looked a bit disused though, does anyone know the current situation? Although I haven’t been before I know about the situation with part of the formation collapsing into the New Cut and the MetroBus works slightly truncating the far end of the line but wasn’t sure what current plans are?

IMG_2914.jpeg.cfb05bc741fb8522db869bf294b56b1d.jpeg

First photo shows the end of the track on the New Cut, beyond here (on the left in the photo) is a nice bit of new, fresh ballast (I think this must be where the bank was reinstated after the collapse) and then track resumes for a short section slightly further on. However at the end close to the Create Centre there still seem to be some temporary site offices or similar on the trackbed (just before the planned site for the truncated terminus platform) and I don’t quite understand what these are for, or why they still need to be there.

IMG_2836.jpeg.f4fd9cf305fc9368619749b81f446603.jpeg

Second picture showing the electric capstans and cranes outside M Shed. The platform is served by the middle track (which obviously is still in use) and is out of shot behind the camera, I was under the impression that the line on the left nearest the museum entrance is disused but not sure about the one under the cranes themselves - again, does anyone have more information? I doubt I’ll get there on a BHR operating day until next year now sadly, but it seems a really interesting and unique line.

There are some odd bits of track left over on the former route back to Temple Meads that would be more obvious candidates for this thread, but unfortunately I don’t seem to have photographed those.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Bristol, earlier in the week. I was there for a museum conference at M Shed; unfortunately being a weekday the Harbour Railway wasn’t operating, but I understand the quayside section from M Shed to the SS Great Britain is used currently. The section along the New Cut looked a bit disused though, does anyone know the current situation? Although I haven’t been before I know about the situation with part of the formation collapsing into the New Cut and the MetroBus works slightly truncating the far end of the line but wasn’t sure what current plans are?

IMG_2914.jpeg.cfb05bc741fb8522db869bf294b56b1d.jpeg

First photo shows the end of the track on the New Cut, beyond here (on the left in the photo) is a nice bit of new, fresh ballast (I think this must be where the bank was reinstated after the collapse) and then track resumes for a short section slightly further on. However at the end close to the Create Centre there still seem to be some temporary site offices or similar on the trackbed (just before the planned site for the truncated terminus platform) and I don’t quite understand what these are for, or why they still need to be there.

IMG_2836.jpeg.f4fd9cf305fc9368619749b81f446603.jpeg

Second picture showing the electric capstans and cranes outside M Shed. The platform is served by the middle track (which obviously is still in use) and is out of shot behind the camera, I was under the impression that the line on the left nearest the museum entrance is disused but not sure about the one under the cranes themselves - again, does anyone have more information? I doubt I’ll get there on a BHR operating day until next year now sadly, but it seems a really interesting and unique line.

There are some odd bits of track left over on the former route back to Temple Meads that would be more obvious candidates for this thread, but unfortunately I don’t seem to have photographed those.

Yep, the lines under the cranes are still in use. 

IMG_20240703_131119011_HDR.jpg.67fdbf722eda9e64003404a4b9e9b1eb.jpg

IMG_20240703_131025653_HDR.jpg.c8aefb671eab96890425aa63702f3491.jpg

"Henbury" seen back in July.

• Like 7