Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

On 27/05/2024 at 13:13, sir douglas said:

despite all the new roads and big warehouses being built at Newmarket, the well known colliery crossing persists

https://www.google.com/maps/place/53°43'30.5"N+1°27'02.8"W/@53.7250387,-1.4507321,1273m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d53.725133!4d-1.450787?entry=ttu

newmarket.png.24d2ed5c25d6de709b63b896c8f1aa92.png

These rails - especially the nearest one - seem to be taking an unusual degree of hammering from road traffic. Perhaps it's the loaded 8-wheelers, although the one visible appears to be preparing to turn right.....

• Like 1

The last (accessible) remains of the narrow gauge system at Folkestone Warren, used for the construction of the massive post-war "Toe Weighting" project, intended to stabilize the very mobile chalk along which the SER main line runs nearby. There are still a few more sections including a set of points in a locked compound next to the line- you can see then from a passing train.

I think the gauge is about 2'6". About a mile further east on the beach there is (or was- I haven't been there for a while) a Hudson type wagon underframe, complete with wheels - it had seen better days!

IMG_20240608_181421_860.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

There are still a few more sections including a set of points in a locked compound next to the line- you can see then from a passing train.

This I assume:

image.png.2845665b80a99f96fbd5ab3407e98869.png

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

The last (accessible) remains of the narrow gauge system at Folkestone Warren, used for the construction of the massive post-war "Toe Weighting" project, intended to stabilize the very mobile chalk along which the SER main line runs nearby. There are still a few more sections including a set of points in a locked compound next to the line- you can see then from a passing train.

I think the gauge is about 2'6". About a mile further east on the beach there is (or was- I haven't been there for a while) a Hudson type wagon underframe, complete with wheels - it had seen better days!

IMG_20240608_181421_860.jpg

Interesting. Do you know if there are any photos of this system in use?

On 09/06/2024 at 08:39, Ray M said:

T`other end of the station.

A long time since I was there, but there was a crane arrangement that can be found in old photos that was used to load ships. It had one long leg on the dockside and the other short leg ran along the breakwater wall at high level. Related to @Ray M s picture with e signal box, the high level rail was on the right hand wall, but much further towards the pier end. A beam  spanned between the legs and out over the dockside.

The high level rail was in existence when the refurbishment works were underway. If I recall correctly you could walk up steps at the far end of the pier and see the high rail. Will see if I can find a photo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/06/2024 at 08:02, 009 micro modeller said:

Interesting. Do you know if there are any photos of this system in use?

I've never been able t find any, I'm afraid. In fact information on the narrow gauge system here seems to be very scanty indeed. A quick Google search brings this article up:

https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2016/12/21/folkestone-warren/

...and here is the extract from The Railway Magazine that the article refers to.CoastErosionWorksInFolkestoneWarren.pdfCoastErosionWorksInFolkestoneWarren.pdfCoastErosionWorksInFolkestoneWarren.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Ray M said:

Have we had this before.

Right outside Chester station

used to run into the tram depot which in turn became the bus depot, when I was based at Chester station as a driver we were allowed to use the canteen in the bus depot and it was like stepping backing time, still able to smoke indoors back then so it had the old ‘fagnolia’ tinge to it as well as the acrid smell, the canteen it’self was manned cooking fresh hot food rather than vending machines, it was at times like being in an episode of ‘on the buses’, half expected to see Reg Varney wander in lusting after a saucy bit of crumpet! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ray M said:

Have we had this before.

Right outside Chester station

20240623_174306.jpg

I think this may be the part of the Chester Corporation Tramways system. The Chester tramway system was closed in February 1930 and was built to a gauge of 3’ 6”. The depot was directly opposite Chester General station. At one time most of the main streets in Chester were cobbled and although the cobbles have been covered with tarmac when road works are needed often the tram tracks in the cobbles appear.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sandra said:

I think this may be the part of the Chester Corporation Tramways system. The Chester tramway system was closed in February 1930 and was built to a gauge of 3’ 6”. The depot was directly opposite Chester General station.

Hence the name of the student accommodation.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cobbles?

Mike.

If you are disputing my statement, you missed out an 'r'! 🤣

..... and they're setts, not cobbles - which are rounded.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If you are disputing my statement, you missed out an 'r'! 🤣

..... and they're setts, not cobbles - which are rounded.

CJI.

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge!

Mike.

Having been professionally involved with setts, I am an*lly pedantic about such details!😬

CJI - who is currently sweltering in Greece.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

This may have been posted before, but here goes:-

IMG_20240703_130126146_HDR2.jpg.ab9997d6712ce3ce2faa60c940b0a69a.jpg

The remains of the connection between Temple Meads and the harbour railway set in the ground at Bathurst Basin, next to the Ostrich pub. The tunnel runs under St Mary Redcliffe church, the line used to run on a viaduct from Temple Meads in front of the church.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

Mytholme brickworks tramway, between Halifax and Hipperholme. A picture of these rails was posted on a NGRMonline forum and I've created another of my little albums for it.

Here's a Geograph picture (© Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.)

6452569_41bb6e80_1024x1024.jpg

Here's my album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/119194913@N05/albums/72177720318743965/

Edited by Michael Crofts
  • Like 15