Bachmann Factory Class 20 Sound Improvements?

SHerr

• RMweb Premium

I’m sure this question has been covered elsewhere but I can’t find anything quickly.

I have a factory sound fitted class 20 (D8113, green with Tablet catcher). The sound seems very shrill, too high pitched and too loud - I know there has been plenty of debate in the past, I’m not sure whether mine is the old or new versions as it was a second hand purchase. I’ve turned down the volume but the top end just seems way too much almost to the point of being unpleasant to operate. 

Are there any suggested modifications to CV settings (or anything else) that will help improve or is it a case of re-blowing with a better quality sound file?

No disrespect to the aficionado's of both class 20 and class 40 locos , but the turbo whistle on both those classes could drive you mad ! 

I do have a '20 with a Zimo /Chetter sound but the sounds are quite bearable , the turbo whistle being toned down somewhat .

I also have a '40 with Bifs sound which I find ok .

Not sure I could have a few of either class whistling away on my depot layout , it might drive me over the edge ;)

On 30/03/2021 at 20:29, SHerr said:

I’m sure this question has been covered elsewhere but I can’t find anything quickly.

I have a factory sound fitted class 20 (D8113, green with Tablet catcher). The sound seems very shrill, too high pitched and too loud - I know there has been plenty of debate in the past, I’m not sure whether mine is the old or new versions as it was a second hand purchase. I’ve turned down the volume but the top end just seems way too much almost to the point of being unpleasant to operate. 

Are there any suggested modifications to CV settings (or anything else) that will help improve or is it a case of re-blowing with a better quality sound file?

This shrill sound is the rubbish speaker in the Bachmann Models, try changing to a 'Sealed' speaker in the model as that should improve things.

Charlie (dckits-Legomanbiffo)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, charliepetty said:

This shrill sound is the rubbish speaker in the Bachmann Models, try changing to a 'Sealed' speaker in the model as that should improve things.

Charlie (dckits-Legomanbiffo)

Thanks Charlie, much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Re my above comments, just got a batch of Class 20s in and the speakers in them are reasonably good, well done Bachmann.  So unless you seek 'Better & Deeper' sound most people will be happy I believe with these pre fitted ones on the 20s.  We of course have some sound fitted ones here in stock and ready to go, see the link below if you cannot wait for the Bachmann ones to arrive.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_66&product_id=106

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty