Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

Hi,

I have 2 tips for avoiding the unwanted green staining of printed papers.

The first is to give a good spray of artists fixative before using, and the second is to avoid the use of pva or other glues that contain a significant amount of water.  I have used a glue stick occasionally, and double-sided sellotope or similar, but my go to method is to use a smear of contact adhesive.  The fixative also helps prevent the colours fading when exposed to sunlight for any length of time.

Roja

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I have 2 tips for avoiding the unwanted green staining of printed papers.

The first is to give a good spray of artists fixative before using, and the second is to avoid the use of pva or other glues that contain a significant amount of water.  I have used a glue stick occasionally, and double-sided sellotope or similar, but my go to method is to use a smear of contact adhesive.  The fixative also helps prevent the colours fading when exposed to sunlight for any length of time.

Roja

Hi Roja.  Yes, I'd used fixative, but the glue got in from the rear!  Soaked through the card base...  I use glue sticks too for larger pieces, but contact adhesive is a good idea as well, thanks.  I'm also a big fan of Roket card glue, that's really good stuff I find.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another fan of Rocket card glue here as well, as it rapidly sticks both card and MDF and can be applied accurately due to the extra fine tips. I think it's water based as the applicator tips are easilly cleaned with water.

Hope it works for you without colour changing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The oversized side girders have been amputated, now to make some better ones.  I've also made a start on adding the strakes to the brick edging.

image.png.cec69e4f9f2d25a3f4272cf868285fea.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, longchap said:

Another fan of Rocket card glue here as well, as it rapidly sticks both card and MDF and can be applied accurately due to the extra fine tips. I think it's water based as the applicator tips are easilly cleaned with water.

Hope it works for you without colour changing.

Hi,

I use Roket for gluing card and balsa before applying scenic papers.  It is water-based and causes colours to run, and, as I should have mentioned earlier, water-based glues can also cause the paper to wrinkle and tear very easily, which can be very frustrating.  Before I knew better it happened to me!  IIRC it was an article by the great Alan Downes, many years ago, which suggested using contact adhesive instead of pva for these very reasons.

Roja

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The water crane has now had the first coats of paint, Railmatch light and dark stone.  Obviously still quite a bit to do with this yet.

image.png.d69f2f03dd701793a7ff7ffd96c624b5.png 

I also need to tidy up some of the brickwork on the coal stage, where the brick paper has discoloured...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

Weird little records about the size of a 45, mostly speeches and educational stuff. The history of records and music playing devices is really quite interesting. 

Don't knock it, remember that we like toy trains! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

It's another of those internet rabbit holes you can disappear down for hours, full of wax cylinders and such like.  Wasn't baleen used for record-playing needles at one time, or did I imagine that...

• RMweb Gold

The side girders are now almost finished, and fixed in place.  I've also added the extra I-beams under the table.  The last step of the build is to add access ladders to each side.  The ladders have been liberated from a signals kit, but making the supports and the handrails will be a bit of a challenge, I suspect.

image.png.2186352eeff20042dff722c0fd74b312.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, longchap said:

Not sure if I remember this correctly from the Greenwood website, but is there a handrail jig with the kit?

You're right Bill, there is indeed.  Thanks for reminding me.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You're right Bill, there is indeed.  Thanks for reminding me.

Wow really? A useful page in the instructions? Greenwood? I’m amazed….

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Profanity bank taking a few hits as I try to solder handrails together...

If the bank runs dry, you can always use styrene rod and your poly adhesive of choice (Tamiya extra thin would be good here). If the two curvy bits are not that easy, revert to the brass just for these.

I'm sure you'll find a way!

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 3