Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You'll be tempted to spend more time at the WSR than you do building Bovey Quay!

That's for sure. Was definitely one of the reasons for the move. It was also a big inspiration for Bovey Tor. I used Crowcombe station and Williton box as prototypes.

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Perhaps we should make a joint bid to have "turntable" added to the censored words list on RMWeb?

Possibly, but having to constantly type tu2nt@bl3 instead will rapidly become a pain in the @r5e.....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Perhaps we should make a joint bid to have "turntable" added to the censored words list on RMWeb?

Along with B@ll@sting.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Not an awfully exciting lot to show this evening, but some more progress has been made.  The rust has now been painted on the sides of all the new rails, the buffer stop at the end of the turntable is finally at the right height, and so has been glued down, and the well has been treated with a layer of minced rodents chinchilla dust.  I put down a thin layer of dilute PVA, then a sprinkling of dust over the top, the idea being that I can vacuum off the excess tomorrow once the glue has dried.  If the glue actually soaks through and fixes all of the chinchilla dust, then I'll have to sand it down to the right level.  Oh, I also added a couple of small drains to the turntable well.  They're under the dust at the moment - hopefully I will see them again in the morning!

image.png.09087d801a9b565acc7042ba4052c240.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Well, in a phrase not often heard here at Chuffnell Regis, that seems to have gone according to plan!  A little bit of touching up to do...

image.png.27db3fd9833b9a0cf567376040589442.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I've mostly been ballasting today, which is about as interesting for you to look at as it is for me to do (although I do find it somehow relaxing - weird I know...)

As a bit of a respite from fiddling about with grit and glue, I also put together a small cart.  It's from Ancorton Models.  It might end up living in the field, or it might even get treated to a horse.  Not sure yet.

image.png.c27f2a31857e51d769c770ca2444860d.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

This works really well, very bucolic. In some earlier pics I noticed the acid green fields in the back scene. They seemed overly bright and were coming forward too much rather than receding. I was going to suggest you spray/paint a thin wash over them to lessen the luminosity. However, in this shot they seem OK. Maybe it depends on the light in the room. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As a distraction from world news, I got most of the ballasting finished today.  Have yet to do the single slip, as I need to install a ground lever for it, and I assume some point rodding too - but I need to research that.

The odd shaped piece of card near the front of the photo will be a base for the engine shed.

image.png.2808b815934e407d094058c883ef0534.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for your advice and/or opinions please, chaps and chapesses.  Which orientation is better for the water crane?  I prefer the first one personally on the basis of how it looks, but if anyone knows of how it should be, I'd be grateful :)

I'll probably try to get everything at least a bit more straight and level when I actually nail it down...

image.png.89120d4086f3d32375e70fc9abc03d20.png

image.png.2a4a68bc9a1264e73e8f045121fbad74.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just a point the loco shed area really needs the area weatherd as Smokebox ash would get mixed up with the ballast and remember hot steam engines drip oil, this mixed with coal dust, ash, clinker etc with soon carpet the area in a thin black layer 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John, it certainly will be getting a good weathering once all the groundwork has been done.  Any thoughts on which way the water crane should be facing?

Edited by Graham T
Meh

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

First one looks much better to me.

If your loco was reversed up to the coal platform to fill the bunker it wouldn’t have to move to also be able to top up the tanks.

Park a 45xx or a pannier tank there to see how it would work, as regards a tender engine it would have to be facing into the loco shed so as to be clear of the point

• Like 1