Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Graham's ever more extreme attempts to fix the roof on his model hut began to draw quite an audience....

V2000109.jpg.76eb653f80f9aecff9adb25e89f1d6a1.jpg

A steam hammer, lovely bit of kit in the right hands, unfortunately not mine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe a press is actually the answer - what if you made a pair of wooden formers, one male and one female and squeezed it gently in a vice?

That would do the trick I imagine, but sounds like an awful lot of work 🙂  And, as I may have mentioned here before, if I was asked to describe myself in three words I would say:

Lazy.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

That would do the trick I imagine, but sounds like an awful lot of work 🙂  And, as I may have mentioned here before, if I was asked to describe myself in three words I would say:

Lazy.

Slightly lazy maybe.

You wanted three words.

Edited by Winslow Boy

• RMweb Gold

I've decided to leave the roof on the corrugated iron hut until I've given it a coat of primer.  If I'm not happy with it then, I'll take it off again and replace with styrene.

IMG_4401.JPG.38c738a21991da73014f8491a8be4224.JPG

I've also got the (first batch of!) luggage trolleys finished.  I thought that fixing the brake blocks might be a bit of a b'stard, but actually it wasn't.  As the trolleys are to be modelled in the parked position, with their handles up, that of course means that the brake blocks are snug against the rear wheels - so I could use glue there as well as just on the minimal contact point on the underside of the trolley platform.  Phew!

IMG_4404.JPG.64866fb9aafc37d7e96cfa5d84fe4ce0.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

I wouldn't worry too much about the roof on the hut, it's soft enough to force round a bottle or length of pipe and flattens just as easily. 

Filing a shallow taper on the edges disguises the thickness.

Those old Cooper craft platform trolleys still stand up well. I don't know if they have been reintroduced yet? 

Mine are loaded up with churns awaiting collection. As per the prototype, they are parked up parallel to the track, never facing it.

There was a derailment at Wellingborough in 1898 caused when a trolley left in a passageway at ninety degrees to the track rolled away and off the edge of the platform.

IMG_20240901_2343372.jpg.985eeb3cf66b6aef0f25bca505ea963b.jpg

The tin hut is scratch built. Someone on here was printing the smaller ones like those at Wallingford, but I never got to find out who.

I'm liking the platelayer's hut build too, I've constructed a few over the years and one has appeared on my previous layouts. 

This is the most recent, straight out of the box except for the roofing which is Wills' because the originals looked a bit big to me.

IMG_20240901_2346192.jpg.8063ed59b63deea57fc0a7654912846e.jpg

The grindstone was made to rotate freely, for no other reason than someone around here said that she bet I couldn't do it. That's her knowing what motivates me. 😉

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The tin hut is scratch built. Someone on here was printing the smaller ones like those at Wallingford, but I never got to find out who.

You're right, it is an RMwebber who makes those.  Can't remember the username but the company is Dartmoor Model Services.  I have a couple of his 3D-printed corrugated huts and very nice they are too.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks for the link Graham, those are exactly the model I was thinking of. 

I've ordered three. One for Aston and two others for the next project, plans for which have been approved subject to the completion of the current one!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The three huts have all now had an initial coat of grey primer.  I think they look more or less ok.  There's a noticeable difference in quality between the Cooper Craft, Ratio, and Mike's Models offerings, I'd say.

IMG_4407.JPG.aa7b83d47952fb4cc9b37607c2b51380.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG.3c98f9d2e62c29b4e2fca16c053bb6ae.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG.0b1b33e7eafade113cfb3d0884d8ccce.JPG

I'm off away with work for a couple of weeks tomorrow, departing at sparrow fart, so the primer will have plenty of time to set before I can do any more work on these...

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The three huts have all now had an initial coat of grey primer.  I think they look more or less ok.  There's a noticeable difference in quality between the Cooper Craft, Ratio, and Mike's Models offerings, I'd say.

IMG_4407.JPG.aa7b83d47952fb4cc9b37607c2b51380.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG.3c98f9d2e62c29b4e2fca16c053bb6ae.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG.0b1b33e7eafade113cfb3d0884d8ccce.JPG

I'm off away with work for a couple of weeks tomorrow, departing at sparrow fart, so the primer will have plenty of time to set before I can do any more work on these...

I've always liked the Coopercraft kit Graham, I think it is a bit better than the Ratio (albeit a different subject).  Mike's Models have been around for ages, huge range of kits back in the day.  Have a good trip 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike's models did a wonderful selection water cranes, pumps, donkey engines, cranes and railway lamps amongst other things.

I don't know how much if any of the range is still available, but they are one of the things that got me interested in railway modelling as opposed to having a train set back around 1980 when I was still in junior school.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Mike's models did a wonderful selection water cranes, pumps, donkey engines, cranes and railway lamps amongst other things.

I don't know how much if any of the range is still available, but they are one of the things that got me interested in railway modelling as opposed to having a train set back around 1980 when I was still in junior school.

Holt Model Railways of Swansea took over the range. They don't seem to have a website any more but the items may still be available.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1