Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Not enough power tool in either for my liking, what's going on?!

So what do you have in mind? Dremel with bobbin sander, pillar drill with cone cut or step drill, or nine inch angle grinder and total mayhem? 😉 

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Graham T said:

Tada!  I finally got my workbench (more or less) organised.  I doubt it will stay looking this good for long.  So now I can make a start on the kits that I've been sent to build for @BenL

You might notice that the second from the back row in the paint stand is empty.  Why's that, you might be wondering?  (Or possibly not).  Anyway - for some strange reason the holes in that row are just a smidge too small for Vallejo paint bottles.  I can think of two possible solutions:  sand each hole until it's big enough, or alternatively file down the paint bottles 😀

IMG_4209.JPG.c7c46eae857c7c1705907100fc17c0cf.JPG

Morning Graham, that workbench does indeed look very tidy - I can’t relate to that 😎

However, what I can relate to is that you have the GWR 6 ton yard crane from @Harlequin aka Phil. I have the mk2 version to build when I get home. So far I have resisted even opening the box, otherwise I would be bound to loose something in the motorhome!

Its a lovely kit, that will look very nice at CR2 😎

Good luck at filing those circles to get the paint in…. Sanding the pots sounds interesting - let us know how you get on 🤣🤣

11 hours ago, Graham T said:

And to give myself a blatant plug - the annual exhibition of the Guild of Railway Artists opens this Saturday at the Kidderminster Railway Museum, I'm planning to be there from about midday.  Would be great to meet one or two RMwebbers perhaps!

image.png.31f2abebe07dd96b4bfcba5dcdfe84bd.png 

That’s a shame we won’t be in the area - the Bluebell railway beckons this weekend.

Hope the exhibition is successful for you.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

So what do you have in mind? Dremel with bobbin sander, pillar drill with cone cut or step drill, or nine inch angle grinder and total mayhem? 😉 

I'm going to have to nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

Peace through superior firepower!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I'm going to have to nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

Peace through superior firepower!

Si vis pacem, para bellum....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George 🙂

I also did a bit of that trainspotting malarkey while I was there.  An LMS Mogul on duty today, with a GWR observation car bringing up the rear, hosting a private party apparently.  Nice!

IMG_4231.JPG.91fef14964405a6fd8e9a4917fdf26fd.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG.b7dbc15d408e582169ae2550c58cbfc0.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2024 at 22:02, Graham T said:

So I've started making a mess of putting the workbench to use!  I thought I'd start off with something relatively simple, since I haven't wielded a scalpel and glue in anger for a while.  The target for tonight was to carry on with a batch of Cooper Craft GWR station seats.  It's surprising how rusty you get, but as I've got 12 of these to make hopefully I'll get the hang of it by the end (only kidding Ben!)

IMG_4274.JPG.b5a016fc59edbbd70e5175c8645ee622.JPG

I've also ordered some GWR colours from Precision Paints - one of the plus points of being back in this septic isle is that I can do that again now.

This is really dredging through the memory banks, if I remember rightly (from making some ~40 years ago!) don't the kits have two styles of cast legs? Some use of plasticard strips means you can make up twice as many benches as they supply the planking for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 57xx said:

This is really dredging through the memory banks, if I remember rightly (from making some ~40 years ago!) don't the kits have two styles of cast legs? Some use of plasticard strips means you can make up twice as many benches as they supply the planking for.

You have a good memory Ric - you're absolutely right.  The kits come with both the early style legs and the later monogram ones.  I hadn't thought about using plasticard strips though.  Hmmm...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And a little bit of work on the Ratio yard office, as I was starting to see platform benches in my sleep...

IMG_4291.JPG.334c0499da73f6306c1b4f47e1a4caf3.JPG

There seems to be a chunk missing from the window frame, which I should probably fill.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

And a little bit of work on the Ratio yard office, as I was starting to see platform benches in my sleep...

IMG_4291.JPG.334c0499da73f6306c1b4f47e1a4caf3.JPG

There seems to be a chunk missing from the window frame, which I should probably fill.

That's a rather nice corner thingy, may I ask it's provenance?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

That's a rather nice corner thingy, may I ask it's provenance?

I got it from Flexxgenix.com Tim; there's a smaller square magnet on the inside of the corner to keep everything true while the glue does its magic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

And we have a roof!  I decided to replace the Ratio gutters, which are solidly moulded, with some 3D printed Modelu ones.  I'll also add some paper flashing around the chimney.

IMG_4292.JPG.0d764921a5c11a4d428de85614ecb95b.JPG

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2024 at 22:02, Graham T said:

So I've started making a mess of putting the workbench to use!  I thought I'd start off with something relatively simple, since I haven't wielded a scalpel and glue in anger for a while.  The target for tonight was to carry on with a batch of Cooper Craft GWR station seats.  It's surprising how rusty you get, but as I've got 12 of these to make hopefully I'll get the hang of it by the end (only kidding Ben!)

IMG_4274.JPG.b5a016fc59edbbd70e5175c8645ee622.JPG

I've also ordered some GWR colours from Precision Paints - one of the plus points of being back in this septic isle is that I can do that again now.

GWR seats were painted all over chocolate brown in case you didn't know, brown and cream is a BR(W) scheme.

Any "stone" paintwork or picking out the monograms is a preservation thing.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 22/08/2024 at 21:42, Graham T said:

And we have a roof!  I decided to replace the Ratio gutters, which are solidly moulded, with some 3D printed Modelu ones.  I'll also add some paper flashing around the chimney.

IMG_4292.JPG.0d764921a5c11a4d428de85614ecb95b.JPG

I do like the little Ratio hut, very underrated and I think that is because people don't make the most of it, altering and improving as you are doing.

I have a spare, just in case.

The weighbridge hut at Aston On Clun started with a Ratio hut and I started to modify it a little to disguise its origins.

Then the rabbit hole beckoned!

IMG_20220713_115816.jpg.9a8751fb4ad179f778dc76854de0064c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1