Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

And just in case @KNP hasn't been treating you properly, I got this for you...

IMG_4033.JPG.ab21f2eed7e6d2977e35b0c8bd642572.JPG

... which was giving footplate rides to young kids.  Wish I'd had my girls with me!

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally, for now at least, there were some very nicely built live steam locos running too.  This one caught my eye.

IMG_4025.JPG.f94c99bf960b130131f5aa4d9b305fec.JPG

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And just in case @KNP hasn't been treating you properly, I got this for you...

IMG_4033.JPG.ab21f2eed7e6d2977e35b0c8bd642572.JPG

... which was giving footplate rides to young kids.  Wish I'd had my girls with me!

Aaaaargh just when I thought it was safe to come out from my kennel you go and show that. You bounder.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Graham, I’ve got to the paintings / guild comments a bit late in the day. Good luck with getting a sale and good luck with selling the other 2.

Hagley Hall looks very good and nicely turned out, did you have a ride on the railway whilst you were there?

Regards, Neal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the exhibition Graham - they've had a couple of GRA exhibitions down here recently (in Alresford goods shed) but I've not been able to get to any yet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sorry Graham, I’ve got to the paintings / guild comments a bit late in the day. Good luck with getting a sale and good luck with selling the other 2.

Hagley Hall looks very good and nicely turned out, did you have a ride on the railway whilst you were there?

Regards, Neal.

Thanks Neal 🙂  I didn't take a trip yesterday, as I've got tons to do at home.  As well as the new house and jungle garden I've also just accepted a job offer, beginning on 5 August, so need to get the decks cleared before then if at all possible.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal 🙂  I didn't take a trip yesterday, as I've got tons to do at home.  As well as the new house and jungle garden I've also just accepted a job offer, beginning on 5 August, so need to get the decks cleared before then if at all possible.

Thats excellent news Graham - your move back to the UK really seems to have worked well for you.

Good luck with the new job.

Regards, Neal.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Neal, things are going ok at present, touch wood!  Hope you're enjoying the trip to Blighty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those paintings look great Graham, I've only just had chance to take a look at them.

At my most recent exhibition I was asked if I couldn't paint something a little smaller and more affordable. I think that your prices are more than reasonable, especially as I was always told that if you don't put a suitably high value on your work, nobody else will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob, much appreciated 🙂  As I've said before, I hate trying to set a price for my paintings...

• Like 4

For some weird reason, putting a price on my paintings is one thing that makes me feel self conscious. 

In my case I suspect it's some old fashioned, terribly British, or at least white working class thing about not being too big for your boots.

Artist's version of stage fright.

If you were an architect or some high flying PR guy, you'd be sat the other side of the MD's desk telling them that you're worth at least £100,000 a year! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Having spent my entire career working in an ad agency art studio. I've worked with dozens of freelance designers and illustrators.

I've been represented by different galleries. Pricing paintings is always subjective as you say.

I use two methods. 1) Set an hourly rate and try to keep a note of the hours spent actually painting. And 2) Size of canvas. (LxW in sq in,) It's not perfect, but will get you close to what the painting is worth to you.

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Gedward said:

Having spent my entire career working in an ad agency art studio. I've worked with dozens of freelance designers and illustrators.

I've been represented by different galleries. Pricing paintings is always subjective as you say.

I use two methods. 1) Set an hourly rate and try to keep a note of the hours spent actually painting. And 2) Size of canvas. (LxW in sq in,) It's not perfect, but will get you close to what the painting is worth to you.

Thanks George, both useful ideas.  I would probably go with canvas size - which is more or less what I do now - as I am hopeless at tracking how long I actually spend on a painting; I tend to do little bursts of work on a picture in between all the other stuff I have going on!

So now I just need to figure out a reasonable price per square inch...

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks George, both useful ideas.  I would probably go with canvas size - which is more or less what I do now - as I am hopeless at tracking how long I actually spend on a painting; I tend to do little bursts of work on a picture in between all the other stuff I have going on!

So now I just need to figure out a reasonable price per square inch...

Just remember to convert it into pounds shillings and pence that's all.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I tend to do little bursts of work on a picture in between all the other stuff I have going on!

I'm exactly the same 😀

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tada!  I finally got my workbench (more or less) organised.  I doubt it will stay looking this good for long.  So now I can make a start on the kits that I've been sent to build for @BenL

You might notice that the second from the back row in the paint stand is empty.  Why's that, you might be wondering?  (Or possibly not).  Anyway - for some strange reason the holes in that row are just a smidge too small for Vallejo paint bottles.  I can think of two possible solutions:  sand each hole until it's big enough, or alternatively file down the paint bottles 😀

IMG_4209.JPG.c7c46eae857c7c1705907100fc17c0cf.JPG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And to give myself a blatant plug - the annual exhibition of the Guild of Railway Artists opens this Saturday at the Kidderminster Railway Museum, I'm planning to be there from about midday.  Would be great to meet one or two RMwebbers perhaps!

image.png.31f2abebe07dd96b4bfcba5dcdfe84bd.png 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Oh curses! I'm going to be in Wales on Saturday re-visiting the house we're buying. It would have been good to pop along, see the exhibition, and meet you.
Still, best of luck with it and I hope you have fun!

• Thanks 1