Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, longchap said:

Hi Graham and welcome back to thinking of getting started again.

I decided to get my modelling tools reasonably well organised when I enrolled myself into a weekend residential loco building course and had to pack all necessary tools into an easily transportable and easy to use container. My solution came by visiting my local supermarket and bought a very sturdy plastic 5 drawer storage chest about 400 wide, 500 deep and 600mm tall. I sorted tools more or less by their use into the drawers and wrapped a couple of bungy straps round it and strapped it into the back of the car. It did so well on the course, that it now sits beside my work table all the time. The cost was a tad over 30€ and I'm sure you can source something similar locally.

Let me know if you need a photo and I'll post one after I get back from an imminent appointment.

Thanks, that does sound like another good solution.  A pic would be great when you have a chance 🙂  Paints a thousand words and all that...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, longchap said:

Hi Graham and welcome back to thinking of getting started again.

I decided to get my modelling tools reasonably well organised when I enrolled myself into a weekend residential loco building course and had to pack all necessary tools into an easily transportable and easy to use container. My solution came by visiting my local supermarket and bought a very sturdy plastic 5 drawer storage chest about 400 wide, 500 deep and 600mm tall. I sorted tools more or less by their use into the drawers and wrapped a couple of bungy straps round it and strapped it into the back of the car. It did so well on the course, that it now sits beside my work table all the time. The cost was a tad over 30€ and I'm sure you can source something similar locally.

Let me know if you need a photo and I'll post one after I get back from an imminent appointment.

Evening Graham,

Just visited the railway room for photography and to check those dimensions! Corrected factual report follows, much more reliable than the memory!

The 8 drawer storage box actually measures 270 wide x 370 deep x 660mm tall. It's been loaded with the most needed tools for a while now and the drawers slide smoothly.

8drawerstorage.jpg.dcbfcc01936a3fedb4e87bd16bd0bc14.jpg

8drawerstorage2.jpg.85882a08ab8c2fb4d158dba59c43aa94.jpg

8drawerstorage3.jpg.5f24bcb38625b5206e9347738d484a8c.jpg

I'm moving the railway room to its final location as soon as practicable and as part of the workshop section, I'll certainly be sourcing some further units as above and could even bolt some units together for increased stability.

Enjoy some research in finding the best solution to suit your own requirements Graham. Remember, all aspects of railway modelling can be fun!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Bill!  Now I really must try to find the time to unpack all my modelling kit from the garage...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Well it's hardly earth-shattering news, but I found something similar to @longchap's recommendation at Ryman.  I'm quite impressed with it - there are 6 x 7 litre drawers, so that gives me a least a fighting chance of getting my stuff (semi) organised!

IMG_3891.JPG.87f075ff46daa4dd05915b5df4fe7128.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I also managed to find one of these at Cheltenham Model Centre - rather chuffed as I've been looking for one for ages.

E017-4.jpg.f33926b87eec16d74124b907c4c670b5.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ah.  True.  I last looked on Wizard's site when I was in Vienna, they were out of stock of them for ages!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graham T said:

there are 6 x 7 litre drawers, so that gives me a least a fighting chance of getting my stuff (semi) organised!

Hi @Graham T . I've got something similar. Not sure of the construction of the one you have, however :-  

I found with mine that, if you put heavy stuff in the top drawer and pull it forward beyond the tipping point, it lifts the top off. Then all the stuff you had in the top drawer is then on the floor.

This can be cured by putting some heavy stuff on top of the unit to counter the upward force.

However, if you then forget the purpose of the heavy stuff, remove it to use and then pull the top drawer beyond the tipping point to get the bits you need to go with the heavy stuff . . . . . 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

And from this chaos we will bring order!

IMG_3907.JPG.bbf5c21b41fc5555bf6569d4f712f477.JPG

Perhaps.

And if so, I'm sure it will only be temporary...

I'm assuming that's the before and you've yet to show us the after.

Now that you've got yourself sorted you can start to consider what you want to do. 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm assuming that's the before and you've yet to show us the after.

Now that you've got yourself sorted you can start to consider what you want to do. 

It's somewhere in between, a state of flux, if you will!  Or just, "a state".

As for what I'd like to do - top of the list has to be some kit building that I said I'd do for @BenL

• Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, longchap said:

Just put the heaviest stuff in the lower drawers. It's not rocket science.

Yes, you are right, if there wasn't heavy stuff in all the drawers. Just the construction of the drawers meant the top didn't allow for the uplift.

Just meant to be a light hearted comment on falability. Obviously misplaced. Hohum.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm off to sunny (?) Kidderminster this Saturday, to endure the selection process for the Guild of Railway Artists' annual exhibition.  I'm planning to submit three pieces for selection, wish me luck!

The exhibition opens on 17 August and runs until 29 September, at Kidderminster Railway Museum.

Smokeandsteam.jpg.3aa8e695b22c823c704471649c849f49.jpg

Dragons.jpg.e729b5f3482336d674cf51777768ee5d.jpg

FirthofForth.jpg.3aa0c329bbf28a2c6dec9690cdc21fba.jpg

Well they get my vote Graham - really nice work. Have you priced them yet?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Well they get my vote Graham - really nice work. Have you priced them yet?

Thanks Andy.  I have priced them, as below, but I'd appreciate your view on the figures!  Pricing your own work is very subjective, obviously.  I don't want to over-price and scare off any potential buyers (hahaha), but equally I don't want to sell myself short...

Smoke and steam £300

Dragons £300

Firth of Forth £500

I should have added that they are all oil paintings.  The first two are 30 x 40 cm, and Firth of Forth is 40 x 50 cm.

Edited by Graham T
more detail
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Graham, I think those are very sensible prices. There is a nice independent gallery near here that we have bought from in the past: https://www.wykehamgallery.co.uk/ He does not currently sell steam engine pictures and he also adds 100% commission but his oils are often around £800-£1000 for the sort of size you are doing, so allowing for his commission I don't think you are being at all greedy. Have you ever thought of approaching a gallery?

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Have you ever thought of approaching a gallery?

Andy

It's crossed my mind many times, but isn't something that I've looked into since I got back to the UK, just haven't had time yet!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a slightly damp Kidderminster.  The only painting that got selected for the exhibition was this one, "Dragons":

image.png.ad717707d4c0fee3092f797b5f045217.png

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.  The good news is that the other two are of course still available!  So if anyone here on RMweb is interested in one of them, please DM me - forum members will get a discount, of course 🙂

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4