Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

The whole build is excellent but the colouring you've achieved on that barn is stunning, Graham. A real top job thereon. 

Much cribbing being done this end. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The whole build is excellent but the colouring you've achieved on that barn is stunning, Graham. A real top job thereon. 

Much cribbing being done this end. 

Rob

Thanks very much Rob - too kind by far!

Is Much Cribbing a new layout that you haven't told us about?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean, Graham. Is the edge of the pond a little too well defined? Perhaps some floating weed varying in density around the edge would look better?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Great to see that you're encouraging wildlife on Chuffnell Regis. The bats and barn owls will be moving in pretty quick and you'll be overrun with frog, newts and snakes before you know it!

Lovely modeling Graham!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe a little sludge colour paint lapping around the edges? The photo on this site may help:

https://www.pondexperts.ca/pond-weed-plant-identification-guide/

That's a useful link Andy, thanks.  I might try a layer of clear varnish tinted with some green-brown acrylic paint.

• RMweb Gold

So, having had a reasonably successful experiment putting a layer of varnish tinted with olive green paint onto a scrap piece of clear styrene, I took the plunge into Chuffnell Regis' pond this morning.  This has of course revealed that I have a slightly sloping pond!  Ideal for water skiing I suppose.  I'll see how this dries out, and perhaps add a second coat later, maybe with a slightly different tint added to it.

You might notice that I've also painted the reeds, again with olive green.  I think they look a bit better now?

IMG_1875.jpeg.9395758da5e5428fc7b65ac478c31d55.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So, having had a reasonably successful experiment putting a layer of varnish tinted with olive green paint onto a scrap piece of clear styrene, I took the plunge into Chuffnell Regis' pond this morning.  This has of course revealed that I have a slightly sloping pond!  Ideal for water skiing I suppose.  I'll see how this dries out, and perhaps add a second coat later, maybe with a slightly different tint added to it.

You might notice that I've also painted the reeds, again with olive green.  I think they look a bit better now?

IMG_1875.jpeg.9395758da5e5428fc7b65ac478c31d55.jpeg

That really is very impressive - the only problem I see is that those of who are not gifted artists are pretty much marooned on the shores of rather unrealistic landscapes! I tend to end up creating "engineered" models because I am one, whereas yours are much more realistic!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

That really is very impressive - the only problem I see is that those of who are not gifted artists are pretty much marooned on the shores of rather unrealistic landscapes! I tend to end up creating "engineered" models because I am one, whereas yours are much more realistic!

Well, that's very kind of you to say Andy, but I think one of the joys of this hobby is that it has so many different skills that are required.  And I doubt if many - or any - of us, have all of those!  I'm very much not an engineer.  When I was in the RN my particular field was split into menders and benders - I was one of the latter (stop sniggering at the back!)

For example, my wiring and track-laying are both pretty awful, which is the main reason why Chuffnell R will (eventually) have to bow out gracefully and make way for Mk II.  But I've learnt an awful lot in the couple of years that I've been building this layout, and I hope that I can apply those lessons to the next one.  First one is probably to plan, plan, and then plan some more!  Impatience has led to many errors on CR Mk I.  Then a lot of care in building baseboards, and the same for laying track and wiring - smooth running and no more spaghetti farms is the goal!  We'll see how those plans survive contact with the real world in due course, I suspect.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

I put a few more horsehair bushes along the track through the field as well, but I'm not convinced that they work.  Here's a view with them, and one  without - what do you think?  Opinions very welcome, thanks!

IMG_1885.jpeg.e9b6b29ff6bd52c23e0b2cf726a5601f.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg.eea2737a426a83189c543f5f4184cca6.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My green fingers have got tired, so I fixed the fascia to the front of the layout for something different to do.  It's just thick black card from the stationers, and of course, this being Chuffnell R, there are few foul-ups here and there (other four letter words beginning with f are available).

Next time I'll use MDF or something like that for this, and make the fascia before the scenery I think, rather than the other way around.  I should be able to avoid any gaps then!

IMG_1889.jpeg.3c090102b3ab8fd8ffad9f039303900e.jpeg

• Like 10