Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium

Productive day there Graham. Still no work on Henley-on-Thames this weekend.... I currently have my feet up on the sofa, outside in the baking heat... Nice glass of cold Rioja and Johnnie Walker on the radio.

#LazySunday - In fairness though, I did run 10km this morning with the Sunday running club 🏃‍♂️😎

Have a good afternoon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Whitemetal mail sacks.  Rather irritatingly, these are drying glossy, although I used matt paint?!

IMG20220904162554.jpg.f5605ad45d2680322f94cd58f560e6a7.jpg

Again weathering powder is your friend. Brush it over when the sack are dry. It will take the shine off.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Productive day there Graham. Still no work on Henley-on-Thames this weekend.... I currently have my feet up on the sofa, outside in the baking heat... Nice glass of cold Rioja and Johnnie Walker on the radio.

#LazySunday - In fairness though, I did run 10km this morning with the Sunday running club 🏃‍♂️😎

Have a good afternoon

That's a good run.  I'm trying to get back into it, but only managing around 5k two or three times a week at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Again weathering powder is your friend. Brush it over when the sack are dry. It will take the shine off.

Good thinking; I'll give that a try before resorting to different paint!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's a good run.  I'm trying to get back into it, but only managing around 5k two or three times a week at the moment.

Don't worry about the distance, fit your runs in around whatever you are doing and enjoy it.

My next big race will be the Elche 1/2 marathon in March - training curve starts in the next few weeks.

If you are not already on there, join Strava and use it as a motivational tool. It's a great app.

10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Good thinking; I'll give that a try before resorting to different paint!

I used weathering powders on my new lamp huts and it made a big difference to the look of them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m now being a hindsight engineer which isn’t fair to you.

I wonder whether there might not have been a brick cut out in the bank, just the post dug into the ground ‘through’ the bank.  That way you wouldn’t need to get the signal wires past the wall, they could just run ‘straight’ to the base of the post.

This is not a suggestion to change, just a comment that may be relevant to Mk2 at some point.

Paul.

Paul - can I ask you a question (sorry for the thread hi jack Graham)

What is the correct way to signal a three way point in a goods yard/loco yard ?  Would a double ground signal be appropriate, or a treble ground signal, or two individual ground signals  - or something else ?

Thanks

Clive

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I assume that the powders need sealing after though, with matt spray varnish or similar?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Don't worry about the distance, fit your runs in around whatever you are doing and enjoy it.

My next big race will be the Elche 1/2 marathon in March - training curve starts in the next few weeks.

If you are not already on there, join Strava and use it as a motivational tool. It's a great app.

I haven't run a half marathon for a couple of years now...  Just use my Garmin watch and plod!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Gopher said:

What is the correct way to signal a three way point in a goods yard/loco yard ?  Would a double ground signal be appropriate, or a treble ground signal, or two individual ground signals  - or something else ?

Thanks

Clive

Probably off a ground frame and hand signals

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, all my ground signals are there to protect from trains leaving the sidings and entering the main lines and so they are at the toes of the points not the exits in m y case. Would you not simply have a single disk facing the three way end of the point? I will be interested to hear the correct answer.

Edited by Andy Keane

47 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Hi,

I would have thought that in a goods or loco yard, unless there was a line leading to the main running line, which would need to be signalled, it would be hand signalled by the shunter.

Roja

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Clive, all my ground signals are there to protect from trains leaving the sidings and entering the main lines and so they are at the toes of the points not the exits in m y case. Would you not simply have a single disk facing the three way end of the point? I will be interested to hear the correct answer.

Thats's interesting Andy - I have three  - three way points, two in my loco yard, and one in the goods yard.  Access to the running lines is controlled by a semaphore signal in each case ( the semaphores are installed at the toe of the three ways), so I use the ground signals to control/indicate which of the three routes is selected, when locos move the other way from the toe of the point onto on of the three access roads .  No idea if this is even close to being correct as I am no signalling expert.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The signals are there to control access to and from running lines - what happens once a movement is in the yard doesn't concern the signalman, until it wants to come back out again...

So would ground signals be linked to manual point levers ?  So not controlled by the signalman. Must admit I thought the answer was yes 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

So would ground signals be linked to manual point levers ?  So not controlled by the signalman. Must admit I thought the answer was yes 

Just to confuse have you also thought about point indicators - the rotating lamps that let the driver know how the ground frame has set the point? I have one of those too and all my discs are on lines back to the signalbox.

23 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Just to confuse have you also thought about point indicators - the rotating lamps that let the driver know how the ground frame has set the point? I have one of those too and all my discs are on lines back to the signalbox.

No not thought of these Andy, and I'm quickly trying to forget you mentioned them.😀. Just consulted my Adrian Vaughan books on GW signalling. He does say ground signals were used in yards etc., and has a picture of a 3 way ground signal - signalling a 3 way divergence ahead.  No mention if these were linked to manual point levers though. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

No not thought of these Andy, and I'm quickly trying to forget you mentioned them.😀. Just consulted my Adrian Vaughan books on GW signalling. He does say ground signals were used in yards etc., and has a picture of a 3 way ground signal - signalling a 3 way divergence ahead.  No mention if these were linked to manual point levers though. 

In the end we need a signaller of course. It’s very cunning stuff, primarily designed to fox mere mortals.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andy Keane said:

In the end we need a signaller of course. It’s very cunning stuff, primarily designed to fox mere mortals.

That gets me off the hook then ‘cos I’m an Engineer not a signaller!!!

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that if the yard has fixed signals reading out onto the running lines, including ground signals, then there would be no fixed signals within the yard. All movements would be controlled by handsignals.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gopher said:

No problem.

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

I would have thought that in a goods or loco yard, unless there was a line leading to the main running line, which would need to be signalled, it would be hand signalled by the shunter.

Correct.

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

The signals are there to control access to and from running lines - what happens once a movement is in the yard doesn't concern the signalman, until it wants to come back out again...

Also correct, just stating the converse of the previous quote.

59 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Signals are controlled from a lever frame operated by the signalman.  Or a ground frame, but there the shunter/guard is being the signalman.

52 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

That would only be for a point operated from the signalbox.  Not for a hand point in a yard.

23 minutes ago, Gopher said:

My Vaughan book on GWR signalling doesn’t have a three way disc/three way point (it’s a second printing so may have been added in a later edition).  He does make that sort of comment about a 2 way disc and it is in the context (not actually stated) of signalling trains in yards as opposed to passenger trains on running lines.

I’ll do a separate post pertaining to your layout.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Sorry Paul, I misunderstood your role/speciality. 

Not a problem.  Just need to point it out sometimes.  It was said with a great big grin and tongue firmly in cheek!

Paul.