Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

There should probably be pulley wheels and/or cranks or something like that at the bottom of the signal post as well, I suppose?

Take look at the below video. The whole thing is quite interesting, with a signal interlock next to a point 6:12 that you very rarely (never?) see modelled.

However, the main reason for posting is that there's a very nice image of a cable turning to go up the post at 4:43. It seems to be nothing more complicated than a single pulley, the same as you have on the ground, but mounted with the axle horizontal.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting video that @BroadLeaves, thanks.  It's prompted me to add a pulley wheel to the bracket signal.  Having thought about it, I don't think I'm going to attempt adding EZ line for the signal cables though!  The signal and retaining wall are now also fully bedded in.

IMG20220903151758.jpg.dbef1a67b38a1ff69ef19ec35a6077d2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2022 at 17:46, Graham T said:

Didn't have much time at all to spend on Chuffnell R so far today, but did get a few little bits and pieces moved on slightly.  The get up and go seems to have got up and gone though!

Unlike many of us perhaps, the signalman now has his heating supplies secured, at least for a while.  Next job is some weathering here, and a dab of paint to set the brickwork into the ground.

IMG20220901181836.jpg.52a5da9cd534a636a40f128f269a5113.jpg

And the infamous bracket signal has been just very gently weathered with a little matt earth paint, just to take the starkness off the white.  The retaining wall is now fixed in place, and blended into the cess with some polyfilla.  I'll then add a little chinchilla dust, including over the black base of the signal.  It is just sitting in place though, the idea being that it can be removed later, either for wiring in (unlikely) or moving to CR Mk II (slightly more likely).

IMG20220901181700.jpg.0b363478c0f326c130d9ccfe4d15c38c.jpg

Last thing was to lay the small strip of lawn at the back of the station building.  This will of course be all but invisible, however...  I know it's there.  Unfortunately it didn't hide the gap between the road surface and the platform, so the polyfilla had to come out again.  Once that's dry it will get painted and the crack cocaine static grass treatment too.

IMG20220901181651.jpg.1ec1a7378bf4d339c3814b4e76a4581e.jpg

Graham

I have been trying to work out what a small strip of land besides my station building was for before a wooden hut was erected there - I don't have much to go on except this old colourised postcard (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262281941501) but this strip of lawn of yours has finally clicked with me and I am going to put a very similar strip down. Its the gap besides and between the brick mess hut facing on to the platform and the road which is a few yards behind said hut. I guess maybe a small bit of GWR lawn is not such a strange idea but it had not really dawned on me until now so thanks for the (delayed) inspiration!

Andy

ps - the fence there was again rich with enamelled signs just like yours, which I have now gotten through the post ready for action :-)

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Here's the real article at Rowden Mill.  Quite a bit bigger as you can see, but enclosed by spear fencing with gated access.

7-road-above.png.808d6c9714469af481aed3ca3a37bf5c.png

Yes indeed - I am still pondering if the lawn will also have some fence between it and station road but as it will be a pretty small strip I am thinking not - in my case there is certainly a wooden fence between it and the platform as the postcard shows and I think that will do. Have you gotten any samples of the lawn on a strip from your supplier yet?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Here's the real article at Rowden Mill.  Quite a bit bigger as you can see, but enclosed by spear fencing with gated access.

7-road-above.png.808d6c9714469af481aed3ca3a37bf5c.png

Sorry guys, but that doesn't look right for a period station to me. I think that's a modern use of the land after the buildings were no longer used by the railway.

Here's an early map: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=52.20601&lon=-2.54776&layers=168&b=1

image.png.2227bcb59c19501886a5fc1cb6e5a236.png

You can see that the road surface just widens and runs right up to the station building. That would form the station "car park", and remember it wouldn't be a car park in the form we know these days - it would be more somewhere to pull over for a few minutes while you drop off or collect passengers, parcels, or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Sorry guys, but that doesn't look right for a period station to me. I think that's a modern use of the land after the buildings were no longer used by the railway.

Here's an early map: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=52.20601&lon=-2.54776&layers=168&b=1

You can see that the road surface just widens and runs right up to the station building. That would form the station "car park", and remember it wouldn't be a car park in the form we know these days - it would be more somewhere to pull over for a few minutes while you drop off or collect passengers, parcels, or whatever.

Darn.  Another faux pas to add to my long list!  I think I will leave the lawn as is though, even if it's wrong - you won't even be able to see it once the station building is in place after all.

Anyway, you've clearly got the wrong map Phil; I'm making a model of Chuffnell Regis, not Rowden Mill 😉

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Oh! - right so maybe not a lawn. So if you look at the colourised postcard at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262281941501 what would you expect to find behind the paling fence between it and the station approach road? I know later on they built a wooden shed to the left of the brick hut but I have no real idea of what was behind them. The 1905 out of copyright map shows the pavement to the station (dotted), the paling fence (solid) and the little brick hut (with a very small rectangle behind it) but suggests maybe the roadway outside the station went right up to the fence. More roadway seems much less fun than Graham's lawn - ho hum.

Helston_Station_1905.jpg.28ce5ef9083a8c08fcecea2c794bb140.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Oh! - right so maybe not a lawn. So if you look at the colourised postcard at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262281941501 what would you expect to find behind the paling fence between it and the station approach road? I know later on they built a wooden shed to the left of the brick hut but I have no real idea of what was behind them. The 1905 out of copyright map shows the pavement to the station (dotted), the paling fence (solid) and the little brick hut (with a very small rectangle behind it) but suggests maybe the roadway outside the station went right up to the fence. More roadway seems much less fun than Graham's lawn - ho hum.

Helston_Station_1905.jpg.28ce5ef9083a8c08fcecea2c794bb140.jpg

Yep, more roadway I reckon, and you can see why - it's to allow vehicles to turn and so probably kept clear most of the time.

But it does give you a nice place for a little vignette like an old 1930s taxi parked up there making life difficult for another vehicle trying to turn. 🙂

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I'm full of admiration for those people who can paint convincing figures in 4mm scale.  This is the best I've been able to manage.  I'm wondering about trying to put a darker wash onto the faces, to try and bring out the details more, but think I might just make a hash of it...

IMG20220903181601.jpg.f898c57b60a32bfc61793e39af553b96.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I have to say I'm full of admiration for those people who can paint convincing figures in 4mm scale.  This is the best I've been able to manage.  I'm wondering about trying to put a darker wash onto the faces, to try and bring out the details more, but think I might just make a hash of it...

Hi Graham,

As I'm not intending to build a layout this Winter, one of the things I'm looking to do ismake a  return to 1/35th military modelling to improve my figure painting, along with general modelling/weathering. 

Hopefully, I can transfer any skills acquired thus to the smaller models we so favour. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Graham, I think you've made a good job of painting those figures. Even enlarging the photo to beyond 4mm scale, they still seem fine. I brush my figures with Humbrol weathering powders, sometime black for crew, workers etc, sometime brown for others. The joy is you can wash it off if you get too heavy handed.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Graham,

As I'm not intending to build a layout this Winter, one of the things I'm looking to do ismake a  return to 1/35th military modelling to improve my figure painting, along with general modelling/weathering. 

Hopefully, I can transfer any skills acquired thus to the smaller models we so favour. 

Rob. 

Don't go giving me ideas Rob, I think I've got enough kits already!  I really did enjoy building Tamiya military miniatures when I was younger though, it has to be said...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Graham, I think you've made a good job of painting those figures. Even enlarging the photo to beyond 4mm scale, they still seem fine. I brush my figures with Humbrol weathering powders, sometime black for crew, workers etc, sometime brown for others. The joy is you can wash it off if you get too heavy handed.

That's an interesting idea Jonathan, thanks.  I hadn't considered using powders on figures.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Nothing wrong with those. I have to be in the mood and then sometimes, if I'm lucky, I might make a half decent job...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

nothing more complicated than a single pulley, the same as you have on the ground, but mounted with the axle horizontal.

That’s how it’s done, as Graham has in response.

Except that there are three arms up there so three wires each with their own pulley.

Another way is a crank on the post, that way you can get a triple more easily.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Added crank as an alternative.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

The whole thing is quite interesting, with a signal interlock next to a point 6:12 that you very rarely (never?) see modelled

Correct, you don’t see it modelled.

But the video is slightly misleading: the interlocking is under the box and stops the lever dead (as shown in the video).  The outside stuff is called detection and it’s purpose is to make sure that outside has done what the lever wants.  It wouldn't lock the lever dead - I’ve seen a signalman pull a signal lever reverse against detection that was not made up - stretches the wire and boy did it go back with a bang when the lever was released!

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s how it’s done, as Graham has in response.

Except that there are three arms up there so three wires each with their own pulley.

Another way is a crank on the post, that way you can get a triple more easily.

Paul.

I can't believe that I've inadvertently modelled something correctly Paul.  I apologise wholeheartedly to all those who've come to expect nothing but the highest level of bodgery from Chuffnell Regis.  The pulley will be removed and resited somewhere completely wrong!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m now being a hindsight engineer which isn’t fair to you.

I wonder whether there might not have been a brick cut out in the bank, just the post dug into the ground ‘through’ the bank.  That way you wouldn’t need to get the signal wires past the wall, they could just run ‘straight’ to the base of the post.

This is not a suggestion to change, just a comment that may be relevant to Mk2 at some point.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The bit of modelling time that I've been able to eke out this weekend has mostly been consumed by painting a whole range of odds and ends, with decidedly mixed results!  In no particular order, other than how the interweb decides to upload them...

Whitemetal oil drums and buckets.  The latter will probably be going onto footplates, the oil drum next to the PW hut.

IMG20220904160706.jpg.74c4e76b897d6d46d6d2160bca5568a5.jpg

Whitemetal mail sacks.  Rather irritatingly, these are drying glossy, although I used matt paint?!

IMG20220904162554.jpg.f5605ad45d2680322f94cd58f560e6a7.jpg

3D printed wicker baskets of something or other.  What would they hold?

IMG20220904162536.jpg.c7ec6fd34963e67ccee42934d25b77d1.jpg

Motley collection of packing cases, just given a coat of flat black so far.

IMG20220904160649.jpg.ce2b1fe79d4c96bb3cf093d42af7898f.jpg

Packing case featuring Satan, the station cat.  Reputedly a champion mouser.  Well, have you seen any mice on the layout?  Me neither.

IMG20220904160633.jpg.c195f9a34f036da2e80c5f93c5b981fc.jpg

Wriggly tin huts 🙂  Wills offering on the left, minus its roof vent and with added hasp and "padlock", rather nice item from Dartmoor Model Services on the right.  Looking forward to weathering these.  The Wills one will live on the platform as some sort of lock-up store, so will be in pretty good condition.  The others a bit less so (I have a brace of the DMS ones).

IMG20220904160606.jpg.d4b87ac8eba0672ea363316a40e22615.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1