Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That's one impressive bracket. did you make it yourself?

It's a bit of a Frankenstein actually Jonathan.  A Dapol bracket with an added doll from a Ratio kit.  I still need to add a railing to the platform for the extra arm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's a bit of a Frankenstein actually Jonathan.  A Dapol bracket with an added doll from a Ratio kit.  I still need to add a railing to the platform for the extra arm.

Does that mean two arms work and the third doesn't or have you added some trickery to the extra arm?

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Does that mean two arms work and the third doesn't or have you added some trickery to the extra arm?

The additional third arm only works "hand-draulically" I'm afraid.  I'm not smart enough to make it work electronically...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another view of how it might look once in place.

IMG20220830143353.jpg.e162754b27f91363c00269b23c0a0e34.jpg

I used Wills brick plasticard to make the retaining wall, but think I might as well have used ordinary plastic sheet, as I'm going to have to cover the outer surfaces with brick paper.  As there's no way I will be able to paint the inner surfaces to match, I'll paper those as well.  I'm not planning to wire up the signals at the moment, for all sorts of reasons.  They need a bit of weathering I think, as well as the railing added, and the bottom of the ladder painted white.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It would be really nice if Dapol offered a kit where you could make up various configurations with their gubbins making them work. I have three signals and all of them differ from the simple Dapol two arm so all will need surgery.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Another view of how it might look once in place.

IMG20220830143353.jpg.e162754b27f91363c00269b23c0a0e34.jpg

I used Wills brick plasticard to make the retaining wall, but think I might as well have used ordinary plastic sheet, as I'm going to have to cover the outer surfaces with brick paper.  As there's no way I will be able to paint the inner surfaces to match, I'll paper those as well.  I'm not planning to wire up the signals at the moment, for all sorts of reasons.  They need a bit of weathering I think, as well as the railing added, and the bottom of the ladder painted white.

Will you "bury" the black rectangular base of the signal so the post goes straight into the ground?

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

It would be really nice if Dapol offered a kit where you could make up various configurations with their gubbins making them work. I have three signals and all of them differ from the simple Dapol two arm so all will need surgery.

I'd definitely make use of a kit like that. I'm still hacking Ratio signals about.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I know that soldering is a doddle for many of you, but I'm afraid it's still very much a dark art for this particular bodger.  Here's my attempt at smashing together some handrails for the bracket signal.  I'm hoping that with a combination of normal viewing distance, lashings of black paint, and a following wind, they might just about look ok...

IMG20220831141811.jpg.8747c4a31e86865fba12a0d52ecbdab5.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd say that's really good! A few passes with a needle file to remove the excess are all that's needed.

The most important thing with soldering, above all others, is to clean the metal properly beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I know that soldering is a doddle for many of you, but I'm afraid it's still very much a dark art for this particular bodger.  Here's my attempt at smashing together some handrails for the bracket signal.  I'm hoping that with a combination of normal viewing distance, lashings of black paint, and a following wind, they might just about look ok...

IMG20220831141811.jpg.8747c4a31e86865fba12a0d52ecbdab5.jpg

Excellent Graham, you should be very pleased.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Ever so occasionally, the planets align and the modelling gods smile down on Chuffnell Regis.  Today was one of those halcyon days.  In short breaks from work I managed to make progress in lots of small, but satisfying, areas.  

I've sourced quite a few bits and pieces for the pending Rowden Mill Chuffnell Regis station building...

The retaining wall for the bracket signal has been built, and the signal painted.  Wall needs to be bedded into the embankment and cess, and the signal weathered a tad yet.

IMG20220831202317.jpg.4068de73f7ff7f96d2b20b1965629fc9.jpg

And I finally built the coal store for the signalman - which was way more difficult than it had any right to be...  This also needs to be bedded in properly, weathered, and filled with coal rather than black-painted blutak!

IMG20220831202627.jpg.f8ed2e5186e164a0880e44d95963700f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

And let's finish the day with a picture of a train trundling past the new signal, since that's what this is all about, after all!

IMG20220831220318.jpg.48c877f8823b57fda0da12a7d90387b4.jpg

Beginning to wonder why I used such long static grass outside the railway boundary...

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

That looks great, I really should set something up like that as a reminder of why I'm doing all the work.

As for the long grass, why not? Even sheep won't graze the harder to get to and less interesting patches until they absolutely have to. There's plenty of areas like that around here.

• Like 2