Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s not a bad idea…. But I would need loads, plus of course with the amount of space the bases for them are, the baseboard would start to look like a cheese grater and I might not be able to get them in.

I bet servos are the answer…

Luckily I only need four ground signals. Have you seen dingoservo.co.uk ? They make nice small servo mounts.

• Like 2

Great layout, only I thought Chufnell Regis was in Somerset, well that's what Jeeves said when we drove down from the old metropolis to visit my old mate, Chuffy to help with his engagement to Pauline Stoker.

Clever chap, Jeeves, dont you know.

Bertie.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Luckily I only need four ground signals. Have you seen dingoservo.co.uk ? They make nice small servo mounts.

Unfortunately, that is way down the list of priorities at the moment....

Although after @Graham T comments earlier, I have been browsing point rodding options!

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ls006_1.pdf But that is also a long way down the list!

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, rovex said:

Great layout, only I thought Chufnell Regis was in Somerset, well that's what Jeeves said when we drove down from the old metropolis to visit my old mate, Chuffy to help with his engagement to Pauline Stoker.

Clever chap, Jeeves, dont you know.

Bertie.

Thanks, and you're absolutely right - Chuffnell R should indeed be in Somerset.  But being a Hereford chap, I decided to apply a bit of artistic (or perhaps geographic?) licence, and move it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I just spent a rather satisfying hour finishing off the hedgerow behind the station.  The eagle-eyed might notice that the straining post has also been added to the fencing next to the end loading bay.  That unsightly gap between the roadway and the platform surface will get hidden thankfully, as that's where the patch of lawn at the back of the station building is going to be.  The spear fencing has arrived for that as well, so it's climbing rapidly towards the top of the to-do list.

IMG20220829221948.jpg.aa04200ae7d31abfd880e72154423410.jpg

And here's the road heading off into the backscene.

IMG20220829221959.jpg.03323720430d3b3f94f9038ce48b9209.jpg

And the rough idea (for today, at least) of how the buildings might get laid out.  Another piece of good news - Rowden Mill station has been preserved, and is being run as accommodation now.  I emailed the owners and rather cheekily asked them if they would mind measuring a window and a door for me; then I could estimate everything else from the many photos that are available of the building online.

Well, they went above and beyond and have emailed me a copy of an article in British Railway Journal that actually has a scale plan of the building in it 🙂  Spookily enough, the card mock-up I've made is pretty much the right length.

IMG20220829222358.jpg.a27ddb6eabe088bb60c890d7e47f7d89.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that the bonfire look is just where I've managed to get hairspray on the backscene when I've been fixing flock on the hedges...  Need to mask it off properly in future 😦

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

I suspect that the bonfire look is just where I've managed to get hairspray on the backscene when I've been fixing flock on the hedges...  Need to mask it off properly in future 😦

I use various sheets of A4 placed up against the backscene etc. does the trick. More often than not, propped in position before moving on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

I just spent a rather satisfying hour finishing off the hedgerow behind the station.  The eagle-eyed might notice that the straining post has also been added to the fencing next to the end loading bay.  That unsightly gap between the roadway and the platform surface will get hidden thankfully, as that's where the patch of lawn at the back of the station building is going to be.  The spear fencing has arrived for that as well, so it's climbing rapidly towards the top of the to-do list.

IMG20220829221948.jpg.aa04200ae7d31abfd880e72154423410.jpg

And here's the road heading off into the backscene.

IMG20220829221959.jpg.03323720430d3b3f94f9038ce48b9209.jpg

And the rough idea (for today, at least) of how the buildings might get laid out.  Another piece of good news - Rowden Mill station has been preserved, and is being run as accommodation now.  I emailed the owners and rather cheekily asked them if they would mind measuring a window and a door for me; then I could estimate everything else from the many photos that are available of the building online.

Well, they went above and beyond and have emailed me a copy of an article in British Railway Journal that actually has a scale plan of the building in it 🙂  Spookily enough, the card mock-up I've made is pretty much the right length.

IMG20220829222358.jpg.a27ddb6eabe088bb60c890d7e47f7d89.jpg

Graham, how did you model the little strip over the point mechanism in this picture? Is that just a bit of plasticard? I have a couple of FPLs to model before I can start the ballasting. Could you post a close-up of it for us?

thanks

Andy

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham, how did you model the little strip over the point mechanism in this picture? Is that just a bit of plasticard? I have a couple of FPLs to model before I can start the ballasting. Could you post a close-up of it for us?

thanks

Andy

No problem.  It's from the Wills point rodding kit, but you could very simply make the cover from plasticard.  I've taken a pic of the one next to the signal box, so then you can take a better look at the boards over the leading off bed as well.

IMG20220830094054.jpg.dd733463d3fe8362a0be94d963c06a7d.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Graham T said:

No problem.  It's from the Wills point rodding kit, but you could very simply make the cover from plasticard.  I've taken a pic of the one next to the signal box, so then you can take a better look at the boards over the leading off bed as well.

IMG20220830094054.jpg.dd733463d3fe8362a0be94d963c06a7d.jpg

Perfect - many thanks - and that really is a lovely little scene. I like the milepost as well.

And can you say what you sit your rodding rollers on to raise them up slightly?

regards

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No problem.  I think the milepost came from Dart Castings.  I stuck the rollers onto thick-ish pieces of plasticard; that makes them easier to handle and also raises them a little so that they will sit at the proper level when you do the ballasting.

That being said, the Wills rods are quite a bit overscale.  Looks ok if you only have a few runs, but I think would be quite noticeable if you had more than say three or four.  I will use something different for CR Mk II.

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind Graham, just wanted to show @Andy Keanesome Wills'point rodding sat on plasticard strip etc. It looks fine as you say when you have a couple of runs. It's easy to work with for my shovel hands and is way better than no rodding.

IMG_20211119_130125.jpg.5a16d4b9e54306bc6fb368a379a976ce.jpg

IMG_20211117_192857.jpg.22bdef57132e4e608b7277703339ef34.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking that it was about time there was some traffic control at Chuffnell Regis, and so...

IMG20220830122910.jpg.32299d8a75facaaa69f86bd6e7a28b63.jpg

... a rather large hole has appeared in the embankment.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I was thinking that it was about time there was some traffic control at Chuffnell Regis, and so...

IMG20220830122910.jpg.32299d8a75facaaa69f86bd6e7a28b63.jpg

... a rather large hole has appeared in the embankment.

You will need signal cabling there then 🤣🤣🤣 lots of pulleys to get it round the corner 😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but not for long...

IMG20220830143329.jpg.5e4d8424b23a446aa4a6fe76ab14c43a.jpg

View from just inside the tunnel as you approach Chuffnell R.  Nothing fixed in place yet.  Please just imagine that my backscene goes a lot higher up the wall!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Hope you don't mind Graham, just wanted to show @Andy Keanesome Wills'point rodding sat on plasticard strip etc. It looks fine as you say when you have a couple of runs. It's easy to work with for my shovel hands and is way better than no rodding.

IMG_20211119_130125.jpg.5a16d4b9e54306bc6fb368a379a976ce.jpg

IMG_20211117_192857.jpg.22bdef57132e4e608b7277703339ef34.jpg

Many thanks for this. I have some wills stuff on order which I plan to use for the FPL stuff alongside ModelU rollers and cranks.

Andy

• Like 2