Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've emailed them and will let you know what they say.

Like your Dukedog by the way.  Nicely weathered too.  How did you do the underframe, with an airbrush?

The underframe was a mixture of airbrush and then powder. The airbrush was enamel paint followed by a tedious clean-up of the tyres etc.

nb - two colours of powder on the frames - track dirt mostly then ash on the steps.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Graham T said:

The matt varnish spray did the trick George, gracias.  I've also added some weeds along the hedgerows, still lots more to do of course.  I find the tricky part is to try and keep it looking random and natural, using a mix of different materials seems to help.  I may add a little more flock and longer static grass here and there too (outside the railway boundary though).

IMG20220821222609.jpg.2ebd316d8d274e01aad6d31c054d1af7.jpg

You can still see some wet PVA under the last bit of hedge...  I can do all of that hedgerow, but need to build some more post and wire fencing (ugh) for the verge between the road and the bay platform track.  The fence will be quite overgrown with hedging, but still visible.  So I have to make one.  Both of these hedges will also have some trees planted in them.

IMG20220821222638.jpg.5dcc557631577062d6a55562433a32db.jpg

More hedges to go from the tree on the left of this pic, behind the coal offices, and then along to the corner, where the road will (hopefully) disappear seamlessly into the backscene.

Speaking of seams, I need to fill the one in front of the brick office...

I am rather taken by your little brick hut. How did you make it? I need to make something similar.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2022 at 22:12, Graham T said:

I put together the coal office this evening.  It's a lovely little kit from Intentio, practically builds itself, and the fit of the parts is so good you could almost build it without glue.

Rather irritatingly, it was only after taking the photos that I realised I'd fixed the facias on too low.  So they have had to come off and be replaced with strips of plasticard (that cost me time, and also almost an armful of blood when the scalpel slipped and made a swift detour via the tip of my left index finger...)

Anyway, blood spatters notwithstanding, I'm quite pleased with the result.  Out of the box so far apart from a track pin doorknob, and I'll add some guttering and downpipes as well.

image.png.579169e4cc84b83058c0373587a6cd7d.png

image.png.c37675e566b658bf5459bf44ff2b584f.png 

Looking at the window frames, I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr Pearce may have liberated an unattended pot of paint from somewhere near the engine shed...

12 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I am rather taken by your little brick hut. How did you make it? I need to make something similar.

Andy

I finally found the post - it's by Intentio Andy.  Very nice kits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I probably mentioned that I can resist anything except temptation?  Hattons were offering 25% of pre-owned stuff recently, and I appear to have accidentally bought another small prairie for Chuffnell Regis.

IMG20220823114242.jpg.8c4cb8bd1786afe7d1570b29bd201e4d.jpg

I'm not entirely sure about the paintwork on 5513; I prefer the green on 4550.  So the new engine will probably get a repaint.  It also needs converting to DCC, and the rear of the cab roof is not quite properly fixed down, but how hard can that be to fix?!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Most of my (rather limited) modelling time has been taken up by b***ering about with fence posts and fishing line.  You can see the results of the labours so far lying on the platform...

But the main reason for this post is to ask for opinions, please, if you'd be so kind!  I've positioned a few trees behind the station.  None of them are fixed, and I will also be adding my usual horsehair-based hedge along the roadside.  But before I do any of that, do the trees look ok?  Is the spacing right?  Not random enough?  Too random?!  All thoughts, feedback, etc. etc. gratefully received.  Thanks 🍻

There's one view from each end of the station.

IMG20220823223409.jpg.9be92c221a4fd066638653391d7f9dab.jpg

IMG20220823223441.jpg.d8af6282f60dc7656686c8c781120485.jpg

• Like 10

A few evergreens behind the platform is pretty much de rigeur for GWR stations. Although the station has been dismantled recently, the pines still stand at the site of Raglan station.

The other two are doing a great job of disappearing the road into the backscene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For the beech on the far left, it looks like the branches are coming down too low and would interfere with road traffic, so I'd expect those to be trimmed. Actually trimming the model would be a shame, so can it be rotated a bit?

For the Scots pine, they look fine where they are. The spacing is just non-uniform enough to look completely random.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

A few evergreens behind the platform is pretty much de rigeur for GWR stations. Although the station has been dismantled recently, the pines still stand at the site of Raglan station.

The other two are doing a great job of disappearing the road into the backscene.

Thanks Rob, that was the plan regarding the road.  And I seem to remember reading somewhere (Tetbury?) about the GWR planting pines to hide stations from the locals!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BroadLeaves said:

For the beech on the far left, it looks like the branches are coming down too low and would interfere with road traffic, so I'd expect those to be trimmed. Actually trimming the model would be a shame, so can it be rotated a bit?

For the Scots pine, they look fine where they are. The spacing is just non-uniform enough to look completely random.

Thank you BL.  Impressed that you recognised the trees!  Maybe that explains your username?

This was Longville, off the GW/LNW joint, the pines are part of the original groundwork.

Longville-Railway-Station-Photo-Rushbury-Presthope-Craven.jpg.eb9d534316feea353ce579f4728d0ab8.jpg

Pic Click

The driveway seen recently is similarly treated and with a large deciduous on the left of the drive. Black poplar at a guess!

278924_099742e2.jpg.3e8b42a3422a0351a84aabd95dca0bb2.jpg

Pic: David Stowell.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think the trees look great. The overgrown beech tree doesn't really bother me. Nature doesn't give a tinkers about the permanent way. If it bothers you, just trim a wee bit here and there as BL suggests.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Most of my (rather limited) modelling time has been taken up by b***ering about with fence posts and fishing line.  You can see the results of the labours so far lying on the platform...

But the main reason for this post is to ask for opinions, please, if you'd be so kind!  I've positioned a few trees behind the station.  None of them are fixed, and I will also be adding my usual horsehair-based hedge along the roadside.  But before I do any of that, do the trees look ok?  Is the spacing right?  Not random enough?  Too random?!  All thoughts, feedback, etc. etc. gratefully received.  Thanks 🍻

I think your fencing looks like that from scale model scenery but that comes with wire. Your fishing line looks very good but is it treated in some way so as to not be shiny? I am just putting in a similar fence at the club and last night we were talking about line or wire and I have been thinking about heating up wire to get it to oxidize. We were also thinking about straining posts with diagonals on at the ends - will you do that?

regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

b***ering about with fence posts

It's why in the end, I decided to leave the wires off on Bovey Tor. I find it surprising why we care so much about fence wire, but not with telegraph poles. Which is probably a just as important, if not more so. it's a funny old world playing trains.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think the fencing looks much better with fishing line, rather than the wire supplied with the Scale Model Scenery kit.  Wish I'd used it.

I think the Scots pines are great. The ex GWR stations with pines I have seen (including Raglan), seem to have the pines more closely/randomly  grouped.  Yours seem an equal distance apart from the photo.  You could add more pines (if you have them), or maybe make the five a bit more random in terms of position.  The varying heights look spot on.

I'm not sure about the trees either side of the entrance, maybe keep the one on the left which hides the corner.  Not sure what to put on the right of the entrance other than a different tree, maybe a bit smaller or bushes.       

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I think your fencing looks like that from scale model scenery but that comes with wire. Your fishing line looks very good but is it treated in some way so as to not be shiny? I am just putting in a similar fence at the club and last night we were talking about line or wire and I have been thinking about heating up wire to get it to oxidize. We were also thinking about straining posts with diagonals on at the ends - will you do that?

regards

Andy

It's actually the Ratio fencing, but I'm using fishing line rather than the line included in the Ratio pack.  I have used Scale Model Scenery fencing elsewhere at Chuffnell R, but the wire that comes with it is a real pain to use.

The fishing line has just been painted with Vallejo acrylics (black grey), which it seems to take very well - much easier than trying to paint the wire.  I think the SMS kit would be greatly improved if it came with pre-blackened wire.

Ref straining posts, yes I have used them on the other runs of fencing, just short offcuts of scrap BH rail.  So I must remember to put some on this stretch as well!

• Thanks 1