Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Seem to have lost the old mojo a bit this weekend, not entirely sure why.  I did have a go at putting some static grass down, which I usually enjoy, but even found that a bit of a trial.

IMG20220821150717.jpg.1572a981fce2f527692379409e347cc5.jpg

This started out with some Noch 2.5mm grass, and a sprinkle of WS green blended turf here and there.  Then various different flocks sparingly applied for a touch of variety to the colours.

IMG20220821150723.jpg.4494188245dc6c3e819e8d04dafd898f.jpg

I used WWS basing glue for the narrow strip immediately next to the bay platform, and it's dried looking shiny, which is a pain.  I will have to cover that up with some weeds or something.

IMG20220821150733.jpg.37218e558995f6eb01a5ac56da43ff15.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to say that I've FINALY got the old modelling tools and paints out.

Thought I'd make a fresh start, with a brick built shed. Only this one has seen better days, of course. No point modelling a new one, where's the fun in that?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The matt varnish spray did the trick George, gracias.  I've also added some weeds along the hedgerows, still lots more to do of course.  I find the tricky part is to try and keep it looking random and natural, using a mix of different materials seems to help.  I may add a little more flock and longer static grass here and there too (outside the railway boundary though).

IMG20220821222609.jpg.2ebd316d8d274e01aad6d31c054d1af7.jpg

You can still see some wet PVA under the last bit of hedge...  I can do all of that hedgerow, but need to build some more post and wire fencing (ugh) for the verge between the road and the bay platform track.  The fence will be quite overgrown with hedging, but still visible.  So I have to make one.  Both of these hedges will also have some trees planted in them.

IMG20220821222638.jpg.5dcc557631577062d6a55562433a32db.jpg

More hedges to go from the tree on the left of this pic, behind the coal offices, and then along to the corner, where the road will (hopefully) disappear seamlessly into the backscene.

Speaking of seams, I need to fill the one in front of the brick office...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

where the road will (hopefully) disappear seamlessly into the backscene.

Well, you've already achieved some excellent layout to backscene mergerification and blendage here, so I'm sure the second one will look just as good.

23 minutes ago, Graham T said:

IMG20220821222609.jpg.2ebd316d8d274e01aad6d31c054d1af7.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

As if you need any encouragement, I find the diversions really helpful (and good for the blood pressure too).  I had a very frustrating day yesterday trying to get a couple of locos sorted - as you know me and electrickery are a bit like oil and water.  So diving back into the scenic comfort zone - of sorts, anyway - was a relief 🙂

• Friendly/supportive 5

Good point. A scruffy bit of hedge has sprung up. At least it's near the level crossing...

IMG_20220821_222100.jpg.f092556efda7e39b649d513b9d2bc559.jpg

Rubberised horsehair, two different shades of woodland scenics foliage and some leaf litter from I know not where.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Well, you've already achieved some excellent layout to backscene mergerification and blendage here, so I'm sure the second one will look just as good.

Thanks BL.  It's surprising what you can hide with some curves and trickery.  I'll be using smoke and mirrors next...

BTW nice creative use of language!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Good point. A scruffy bit of hedge has sprung up. At least it's near the level crossing...

IMG_20220821_222100.jpg.f092556efda7e39b649d513b9d2bc559.jpg

Rubberised horsehair, two different shades of woodland scenics foliage and some leaf litter from I know not where.

That's pretty much my recipe too.  Did you take a look at the Lars op 't Hof stuff?  They do some really good weeds and so on that would look just the ticket along the bottom of that hedgerow. 

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's pretty much my recipe too.  Did you take a look at the Lars op 't Hof stuff?  They do some really good weeds and so on that would look just the ticket along the bottom of that hedgerow. 

Impressive stuff! I could spend a lot of money there... 

In fact, I may just have to!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'm using some, and it's top notch.  Highly recommended.

Your results speak for themselves! Excellent.

Those price tags and even the thought of mail to Oz bring tears (of pain) to my eyes and make me think I'll settle for a late autumn setting again going forward.

So rarely done, yet very typical and easier for us less skilled in the art to get a good looking result. 😎

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Your results speak for themselves! Excellent.

Those price tags and even the thought of mail to Oz bring tears (of pain) to my eyes and make me think I'll settle for a late autumn setting again going forward.

So rarely done, yet very typical and easier for us less skilled in the art to get a good looking result. 😎

They are quite expensive, I know, but the materials themselves go a long way (perhaps not as far as the Antipodes though, as you say!)

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Gedward said:

I call it daylight shrubbery!

There are so many possible responses to that George.

Basil, of course, is always a favourite - boom boom!

But the simplest has to be...

... Ni!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Have you tried their mats?

I haven't, and in fact only just saw those last night while browsing their site (which can be quite dangerous for the wallet...)

The mats look very good I think, and arguably give better results than static grass?  Better than I can get anyway.  I might ask the Dutch chaps if they can provide a few small samples of the mats, a bit like swatches.

Edited by Graham T
Placido Domingo

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I haven't, and in fact only just saw those last night while browsing their site (which can be quite dangerous for the wallet...)

The mats look very good I think, and arguably give better results than static grass?  Better than I can get anyway.  I might ask the Dutch chaps if they can provide a few small samples of the mats, a bit like swatches.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with them. I guess drape will be the issue if the surface has any double curvature to it. Fields tend to not have creases of course!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with them. I guess drape will be the issue if the surface has any double curvature to it. Fields tend to not have creases of course!

I've emailed them and will let you know what they say.

Like your Dukedog by the way.  Nicely weathered too.  How did you do the underframe, with an airbrush?