Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Phoenix make two GWR loco greens.

I think those are enamels though, and thus far too dangerous to post over here to Austria!

Having a rummage earlier I found a pot of Railmatch GWR loco green, so I may give that a whirl.

• RMweb Gold

Feeling somewhat cream crackered now, having been busy digging out the landscape this evening 🙂  These areas are a bit larger, so I've reverted to my previous method.

The coal offices are (probably) more or less in their final positions; a little close to the backscene but I think they'll be ok with a hedge running behind them.

IMG20220817221633.jpg.4913351b4cb316f84c96614a45ec149a.jpg

And the longer stretch running from the station to the cottages.  I'm sloping the ground toward the back of the layout, in the hope that might help it blend into the backscene a little better?

IMG20220817221655.jpg.81a1fd2c7750134653afaf357d7c092a.jpg

• Like 6

Make sure you have the correct GWR green. I know this sounds silly, but the colour changed a lot over the years, and they make both kinds. Here is my 8750 in the early green (incorrectly, sadly, as it was built in 1946), together with a Kerr Stuart diesel that is in the later GWR green that ought to be on the pannier!

Re - route availability - yes, as others have said, the RA for a 57XX would be blue in GWR days, not 100% sure about the older loco though.

A.JPG.997d258704338ae47c4263539b21d886.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

You can get tiny discs and letters as transfers. Tricky to do but just about possible.

I'd recommend the RailTec ones along with their 3D number plate transfers.  Steve supplies complete sets for the loco(s) of your choice and the power letters are already printed on the route availability spots making them easy to apply - you just have to make sure you have them the right way up!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Make sure you have the correct GWR green.

Pardon my finding this modestly amusing because I do understand you are serious and I have no intent of causing offence, none is intended. It's just that it must be one of the most contested / debated / argued issues in Christendom and other domains.

Not only is it the issue of real changes over the years but who made and how our models look according to the prevailing light. Having seen there is no consensus view I've settled for having something which looks "right" in my setting by which I mean it doesn't leap out saying "NO". I'm at a loss to set myself some higher criterion.

Generally I find the Bachmann GWR models from Era 3/4 most easy to my eyes. Hornby less so and cannot comment on Dapol.

Edited by BWsTrains
tidy
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

Just now, BWsTrains said:

Pardon my finding this modestly amusing because I do understand you are serious and I have no intent of causing offence, none is intended. It's just that it must be one of the most contested / debated / argued issues in Christendom and other domains.

Not only is it the issue of real changes over the years but who made and how our models look according to the prevailing light. Having seen there is no consensus view I've settled for having something which looks "right" in my setting by which I mean it doesn't leap out saying "no". I'm at a loss to set myself some higher criterion.

Generally I find the Bachmann GWR from Era 3/4 most easy to my eyes. Hornby less so and cannot comment on Dapol.

None taken, and colour is an absolute minefield. Consider the discussion on the 'correct' BR green on some of the RTR engines. 

The GWR did, however, actually change their shade around 1926-28 I believe, which accounts for the big difference, and Mr. W's post-1928 colour is the one I should have used on my pannier !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think shirt button was the earlier livery? With a dark wash and some weathering (wear rather than dirt) you have the basis for a loco coming up to overhaul with faded paint?

If it goes wrong you are no worse off if you are thinking of repainting anyway?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for opening the can of worms again!  I must admit that I'm quite firmly in the @BWsTrains camp here.  To me, if it looks right to my eye, then that's what I'll go for.

In this pic the left-hand pannier (Bachmann) looks about right.  The Humbrol RC405 on 2732 looks too pale.  And as for the green on 3738 - well that just looks weird (might have worked with some yellow mixed in though).

So I think I'll probably repaint 2732 with the Railmatch GWR green- which I think is the post-1928 colour (supposedly), and I also have some route codes from Railtec as recommended by @Mike_Walker, that have the letter already on them, thankfully.  Watch this space, stay tuned, don't touch that dial, yada yada... 

image.png.1ed9fb71d8a395be576f1150ef227abd.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I think shirt button was the earlier livery? With a dark wash and some weathering (wear rather than dirt) you have the basis for a loco coming up to overhaul with faded paint?

If it goes wrong you are no worse off if you are thinking of repainting anyway?

Yes I think you're right.  If I remember correctly it was GREAT WESTERN, followed by shirtbutton, then GWR from 1942.  It's on gwr.org.uk.

I may just go straight to the repaint, as I'm interested to check out the Railmatch anyway.

• Agree 3

I believe the insignia change came when a loco had a repaint along with major overhaul / rebuild, so while "shirtbuttons" might have come in officially 1934 it was an incremental change and "GREAT WESTERN" would have been seen for some time after. That's my rationale anyway for having them in 1936/7.

Aside from newer model releases there are relatively few GWR shirtbutton models for the branch-line modeller, short of an insignia transplant. However I was lucky to pick up a well priced pre-owned 48xx (#4869; R2778; 2008 vintage) which is about the only Hornby / Airfix Class 48xx model to be a half decent runner. Even better with added wheel wipers and a stay alive. I've written it up on here quite some time ago now.

As to  paints, this resource may prove helpful if you've not come across it previously:

Ian Rathbone Model Painting - GWR 1923-39

there is another section of the site for later GWR - Era 4 and much else.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a little bit more done to the landscaping behind Chuffnell Regis station.  Slow progress, as the spare railway room is on the sunny side of my flat, and it's warm enough in there today that I can use the hot glue gun without even having to plug it in 🥸

IMG20220818151704.jpg.6fac147a96e94cb4f956aa5a4596d693.jpg

• Like 5

On 21/03/2022 at 10:10, Graham T said:

I've also been working on the ground cover in the goods yard.  I tried something a bit different, and put down a very thin skim of polyfilla, followed by a thin layer of chinchilla dust on diluted PVA.  Once dry, that was sanded down, and then painted with a suitably grotty mix of black, white, and brown acrylics.  Here it is before the painting

Hi Graham,

it was bit a of a search when you have 160+ pages of CR and you've no key word as a guide but I found it, your recipe for the yard materials. Soon to be needed over on UH, I've been thinking for some time that your result looks very effective and I'd give it a try.

Last time I tried this I had some very fine ash which was about the right shade but was impossible to wet. Chinchilla dust was news to me, how you came up with that option is interesting. Still seems like I should be able to find that here even if chinchillas seem to be considerably less popular than sharks on leashes in Oz. (theories welcomed!)

Do you wet the polyfilla surface first with PVA (what dilution?) then sprinkle on?

Edit: I spoke too soon, chinchillas are not well catered for over here and the only Chinchilla Dust in any quantity is from O/S at ruinous freight rates or comes in the tiniest of containers. On to Plan "B".

Suggestions for suitable alternatives will be welcome. I was thinking perhaps gypsum?

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graham,

it was bit a of a search when you have 160+ pages of CR and you've no key word as a guide but I found it, your recipe for the yard materials. Soon to be needed over on UH, I've been thinking for some time that your result looks very effective and I'd give it a try.

Last time I tried this I had some very fine ash which was about the right shade but was impossible to wet. Chinchilla dust was news to me, how you came up with that option is interesting. Still seems like I should be able to find that here even if chinchillas seem to be considerably less popular than sharks on leashes in Oz. (theories welcomed!)

Do you wet the polyfilla surface first with PVA (what dilution?) then sprinkle on?

Edit: I spoke too soon, chinchillas are not well catered for over here and the only Chinchilla Dust in any quantity is from O/S at ruinous freight rates or comes in the tiniest of containers. On to Plan "B".

Suggestions for suitable alternatives will be welcome. I was thinking perhaps gypsum?

Colin

Have you thought of textured paints? There is a range that includes concrete, asphalt, etc that military modelers use (see for example https://ak-interactive.com/product/terrains-dark-earth-250ml/ ). Or how about this; https://www.geoscenics.co.uk/oo-gauge

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graham,

Colin

Morning Colin,

Well, starting at the end, what is the size of chinchilla dust container you can get?  It goes a long way so you wouldn't need much.  This isn't much help I'm afraid, but I don't remember exactly how I applied it to the goods yard; I think it was sprinkled across the polyfilla while still wet, the excess vacuumed off once dried, and then a coat of paint.  I have applied it in other places using a thinly spread layer of neat PVA, which also works well.  You can sand it after too if required, of course.

In some areas of the goods yard I used the Chris Nevard technique with Das, which works well but takes an awfully long time.  There is also an interesting video on Virtual Missenden about goods yard surfaces here, which pats ash onto a layer of wet paint.  Actually, I was thinking about trying that on CR Mk II, but am wondering where to get ash from!  I live in a city centre flat, so there aren't many real fires about...

Not sure about alternatives - very find sand perhaps?

Andy's suggestion of textured paints is good too.  I used some of that for the road surface, and also the platform if I remember rightly (I'll have to check on the latter though!)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Morning Colin,

Well, starting at the end, what is the size of chinchilla dust container you can get?  It goes a long way so you wouldn't need much.  This isn't much help I'm afraid, but I don't remember exactly how I applied it to the goods yard; I think it was sprinkled across the polyfilla while still wet, the excess vacuumed off once dried, and then a coat of paint.  I have applied it in other places using a thinly spread layer of neat PVA, which also works well.  You can sand it after too if required, of course.

In some areas of the goods yard I used the Chris Nevard technique with Das, which works well but takes an awfully long time.  There is also an interesting video on Virtual Missenden about goods yard surfaces here, which pats ash onto a layer of wet paint.  Actually, I was thinking about trying that on CR Mk II, but am wondering where to get ash from!  I live in a city centre flat, so there aren't many real fires about...

Not sure about alternatives - very find sand perhaps?

Andy's suggestion of textured paints is good too.  I used some of that for the road surface, and also the platform if I remember rightly (I'll have to check on the latter though!)

Geoscenics can supply ash in 300g boxes.

• RMweb Gold

I saw that Andy, but being a bit tight (!), it seems a lot of money to pay for what's basically a waste product.  I do appreciate there's more involved than that, but...

Anyway, they don't deliver outside the UK it seems.  I may have to burn something!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quote from the site:

"Railway modellers have to consider two basic sets of data, information pertaining to activities inside the railway fence and also information regarding the world in which the railway operated. This section consists of notes on the 'outside the railway fence' and is intended to assist with 'set dressing' the layout."

It looks like a fascinating site and no doubt will be the source of some ideas for Chuffnell R.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5