Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit more progress on the moo-train this evening.  They've all had pin washes now, plus some brake dust on some, and frame dirt on the LMS wagons and the Toad.  They will all get some powders on the underframes tomorrow, time permitting.

So, here's a (not very well focussed) look at a few of them closer up.  The Dapol wagons have come up surprisingly well with a bit of work on them, I think.

IMG20220814230627.jpg.36edf52883b70b495fa70feefbab2e5d.jpg

And the whole train (I have three kits for cattle wagons, but this train is already too long for Chuffnell R to be honest).

IMG20220814230546.jpg.221d046f1809b35d68583534b59df042.jpg

And off they go to - ah yes.  Still need to write the backstory for this place as well.  One more for the to-do list!

IMG20220814230839.jpg.0b6defece66e1a8377250d93a837af36.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I've got quite a few already Andy - probably enough, if I'm to be honest, but don't quote me on that 🙂

First of all a B-set, of course, plus a strengthening coach, all in shirtbutton livery (not sure exactly what they're called, I know next to nothing about coaches)

Four 60' Collett corridor coaches also in shirtbutton livery

One Hawksworth brake composite - too modern for Chuffnell Regis really, but they're nice looking coaches and I couldn't resist!  In fact, these coaches are one of the main things that tempt me into modelling early BR as well, so that I can add a few more.  Problem is I'm not especially keen on most of the diesels that operated on the Western Region

Four rather nice Hornby clerestory coaches

A pair of LMS non-corridor suburbans - equivalent of the B-set I guess?

Various parcels stock

Most still need couplings and details added.  A few came from ebay and need the glazing re-attaching.  They all need passengers adding, and some very mild weathering.

So not much to do there then!

Thanks for the summary on coaches - a pretty broad mix in there. What do you think of the Hornby clerestory ones - photos of them look quite nice - will you do much to them?

And I quite like the Dapol class 22 baby warship I got second hand recently - they have a certain charm and worked the GR branches.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Ah, now there you have put your finger on the flaw in my plan!  I think I will take the easy way out and call this an empty train coming into Chuffnell Regis to collect cattle.  I have a few - admittedly somewhat undernourished - Herefords lurking on the cattle dock.

If there are cattle on the dock then the empty train arriving is about to load, the empty train departing has just unloaded!

Cheers

Don

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've got quite a few already Andy - probably enough, if I'm to be honest, but don't quote me on that 🙂

First of all a B-set, of course, plus a strengthening coach, all in shirtbutton livery (not sure exactly what they're called, I know next to nothing about coaches)

Four 60' Collett corridor coaches also in shirtbutton livery

One Hawksworth brake composite - too modern for Chuffnell Regis really, but they're nice looking coaches and I couldn't resist!  In fact, these coaches are one of the main things that tempt me into modelling early BR as well, so that I can add a few more.  Problem is I'm not especially keen on most of the diesels that operated on the Western Region

Four rather nice Hornby clerestory coaches

A pair of LMS non-corridor suburbans - equivalent of the B-set I guess?

Various parcels stock

Most still need couplings and details added.  A few came from ebay and need the glazing re-attaching.  They all need passengers adding, and some very mild weathering.

So not much to do there then!

That’s a good mix of carriages there Graham, they would certainly provide a busy schedule into Chuffnel Regis.

Phil aka @Harlequin and I had an interesting conversation yesterday at Didcot, following our recent visits to Pendon. Just before you go into the Dartmoor scene, there is a wall display with a photo of a train dated (I think) from 1932. Pretty sure it’s a Castle or Star seen in Sonning cutting….. with the leading carriage in Crimson lake…. Which I was surprised about for such a late period.

It got me thinking about whether I also need the odd Crimson Lake carriage.

I shall email Pendon to get more information and let you know.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks for the summary on coaches - a pretty broad mix in there. What do you think of the Hornby clerestory ones - photos of them look quite nice - will you do much to them?

And I quite like the Dapol class 22 baby warship I got second hand recently - they have a certain charm and worked the GR branches.

You're welcome 🙂  I've no idea how accurate (or not) the clerestory coaches are, but they look quite nice!  I may have to get just one more...  As for work on them, I'll add screw couplings and pipes, some weathering, and passengers.  Flush glazing would be an improvement, but I'm not sure if that might be biting off more than I can chew.

I'm in two minds about the Baby Warship - I don't know if I like the look of them or not, to be honest.  And if I introduced any diesels then I'd new coaches, and also some new wagons.  Not sure if I have enough storage space (or money).  I really should park that idea for now as I already have plenty to do!

IMG20220815093702.jpg.487e1be8091e273c2e27b980a917b2d7.jpg

IMG20220815093718.jpg.227c724dec07b6ec8f2da2dc741e57a5.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Thorness said:

If there are cattle on the dock then the empty train arriving is about to load, the empty train departing has just unloaded!

Cheers

Don

That's a very elegant solution Don - perfect!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s a good mix of carriages there Graham, they would certainly provide a busy schedule into Chuffnel Regis.

Phil aka @Harlequin and I had an interesting conversation yesterday at Didcot, following our recent visits to Pendon. Just before you go into the Dartmoor scene, there is a wall display with a photo of a train dated (I think) from 1932. Pretty sure it’s a Castle or Star seen in Sonning cutting….. with the leading carriage in Crimson lake…. Which I was surprised about for such a late period.

It got me thinking about whether I also need the odd Crimson Lake carriage.

I shall email Pendon to get more information and let you know.

That is interesting Neal, thanks.  It would make a nice addition to have something other than chocolate and cream.  I suppose if you stretched things a bit you could have an old crimson lake carriage hanging on by its fingernails, a number of chocolate and cream, and then one or two in wartime brown?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got the cattle wagons finished earlier today - I think.  They've now had some dark brown powder added to the underframes.

IMG20220815125011.jpg.a2c16ed6bcee224152b0c277e9dd0aa6.jpg

IMG20220815124855.jpg.3f08461cfab4796311b148ba47af08b0.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how the Dapol ones have turned out.  Not exactly a silk purse from a sow's ear, but I'm a lot happier with how they look now compared to when they came out of the box.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Getting possibly a bit carried away, I also put some matt varnish on the Collett Goods.  I added a drop of dirty black to it, not sure if I like the effect or not...  The gloss patch behind the shirtbuttons is gone, anyway.  It certainly looks like quite a hard-working loco, but now I'm wondering if it's a bit too dirty?  I also used some various powders (dark brown, rust, and desert yellow) on the loco and tender chassis.

IMG20220815164026.jpg.4c5ec51fee33728ec89f90fe9b890c10.jpg

IMG20220815162505.jpg.693b8dd805ca24debefb8722777f2708.jpg

Getting a bit tired of weathering stuff now, so I think it might be time for something completely different 🥸

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

That is interesting Neal, thanks.  It would make a nice addition to have something other than chocolate and cream.  I suppose if you stretched things a bit you could have an old crimson lake carriage hanging on by its fingernails, a number of chocolate and cream, and then one or two in wartime brown?

Hold fire before you repaint anything. By the time we get to shirtbutton a carriage would have gone through 2 repaints in the meantime. Let’s get confirmation first!

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

And a couple of rather harsh close-ups!  Far from brilliant, but I'm still at the bottom end of the learning curve!

88942197_Screenshot2022-08-15at15_17_33.png.08feb51500796cce09bd75eb17d6c505.png

1064048547_Screenshot2022-08-15at13_08_33.png.1ded5f23aeed41d6dffa0906febb4176.png

Looking good Graham. I admire you using 3 link couplings…. There’s no way I could do it as my boards are too deep in places.

9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Getting possibly a bit carried away, I also put some matt varnish on the Collett Goods.  I added a drop of dirty black to it, not sure if I like the effect or not...  The gloss patch behind the shirtbuttons is gone, anyway.  It certainly looks like quite a hard-working loco, but now I'm wondering if it's a bit too dirty?  I also used some various powders (dark brown, rust, and desert yellow) on the loco and tender chassis.

IMG20220815164026.jpg.4c5ec51fee33728ec89f90fe9b890c10.jpg

IMG20220815162505.jpg.693b8dd805ca24debefb8722777f2708.jpg

Getting a bit tired of weathering stuff now, so I think it might be time for something completely different 🥸

Have a look at some photos and see if you can copy that. The dirt for normal service is possibly a bit too heavy, but if you added small amounts of white to show limescale from water tank fill-ups, safety valves, water and steam running down the boiler, that could look very prototypical. I have a photo of one of my Hall class locos, with white staining in shirtbutton livery.

If you can’t find a photo, drop me a PM and I’ll dig something out when I get home. (Currently Sat quay side, waiting for tonight’s crossing to Spain) 🇪🇸🛳

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hold fire before you repaint anything. By the time we get to shirtbutton a carriage would have gone through 2 repaints in the meantime. Let’s get confirmation first!

Don't worry, I think it will be quite some time before I get to repainting any coaches 🙂

Looking good Graham. I admire you using 3 link couplings…. There’s no way I could do it as my boards are too deep in places.

I'm getting used to them, and do like the way they look.  I do have snags with one or two of the wagons derailing at some parts of the layout, which I'll need to investigate.  As to actually manipulating the couplings, it's relatively easy on the sidings at the front of the layout, less so when the stock is further away.  And I don't think I will ever be able to couple/uncouple anything in the bay platform!

Have a look at some photos and see if you can copy that. The dirt for normal service is possibly a bit too heavy, but if you added small amounts of white to show limescale from water tank fill-ups, safety valves, water and steam running down the boiler, that could look very prototypical. I have a photo of one of my Hall class locos, with white staining in shirtbutton livery.

If you can’t find a photo, drop me a PM and I’ll dig something out when I get home. (Currently Sat quay side, waiting for tonight’s crossing to Spain) 🇪🇸🛳

Thanks for the advice.  A quick prowl for pics didn't turn up very much; I'll take a look at some of my books later as well.  And of course all the online pics I could find are monochrome.  I don't think there's much point looking at preserved locos?

Enjoy the crossing - bon voyage!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Don't worry, I think it will be quite some time before I get to repainting any coaches 🙂

I'm getting used to them, and do like the way they look.  I do have snags with one or two of the wagons derailing at some parts of the layout, which I'll need to investigate.  As to actually manipulating the couplings, it's relatively easy on the sidings at the front of the layout, less so when the stock is further away.  And I don't think I will ever be able to couple/uncouple anything in the bay platform!

Thanks for the advice.  A quick prowl for pics didn't turn up very much; I'll take a look at some of my books later as well.  And of course all the online pics I could find are monochrome.  I don't think there's much point looking at preserved locos?

Enjoy the crossing - bon voyage!

I have a bunch of books with colour photos of GWR locos in various degrees of dirt so I think anything pretty much goes. have sent you one in a PM and could offer more if they help.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I have a bunch of books with colour photos of GWR locos in various degrees of dirt so I think anything pretty much goes. have sent you one in a PM and could offer more if they help.

Andy

But always remember that GWR locos were generally dirtier during and after WWII than before. Period photos are better - if you can find them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Following on from @Neal Ball's suggestion, I might add some very faint water streaking from the boiler washout plugs (?), which I believe are on the side of the firebox here?  If I do, would there be streaking from the top row of three, bottom row of two, both?  Neither? 

IMG20220816115002.jpg.da9bf1f8989f8df4932289a847bfde85.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As threatened, I decided to switch targets last night, and tried surfacing the reinstated road past the station building and leading down into the goods yard.  I spread a thin layer of PVA over the card surface and then sprinkled chinchilla dust over it.

Results were - mixed, if I'm being generous!  The PVA made the most distant part of the card, leading up to the backscene, do a reasonably good impression of the Great Wave.  In the words of the bard, b***er.  Not quite sure how to fix that yet.  I'm not keen on ripping out and replacing the offending stretch, as that will mean another joint to mask, but I'm beginning to think that might be the only option?

At least the rest of it doesn't look too bad.  I've lifted out the weighbridge as it was fitted on top of the ground surface, and so was ever so slightly proud, whereas it should be flush.  A bit of firtling needed before it goes back in.

IMG20220816113841.jpg.4ecf71fc8a78ffbbffd925442c10305c.jpg

• Like 6

I had a similar issue with the station yard on my layout deciding to look like the parking lot of a drive in movie theatre.

I let it dry, then filled up the hollows with a fairly dry mix of polyfilla and PVA. I let it dry a couple of days and replaced the surface treatment. I think that I got away with it.

IMG_20220622_174822.jpg.d633a81c581b1eddcc476fc406b0b348.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'd made the built up ground behind the station the same way that you have. Next time I do such a thing I will laminate three layers of mounting card for the surface using PVA, it should then behave like plywood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Some small fillets of scrap ply and hot glue seem to have done the trick (seems that at Chuffnell R, if a hot glue gun isn't the answer then you might be asking the wrong question...)

IMG20220816140057.jpg.d019ab7caf6f1f5d2accef8af8f00647.jpg

The joint between the end of the platform and the road will be disguised with a little bit of Das, forming a sort of scrubby, very low bank, that will run on behind the buffers and then peter out at the goods yard.  And the other joint will have a short stretch of curb I think, separating the roadway from a small parking area on the dark grey surface, and then a fence with pedestrian gate separating that from the platform proper.  Does that sound vaguely feasible or realistic?

• Like 4