Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So that's the first stage of painting the cattle wagons done.  Tiebars, vac pipes etc painted with Tamiya dark grey, I also daubed that over the underframes and lower panels of the two weathered Dapol wagons, which has improved them no end I think.  Looking at it, I will probably put some of the same colour on the unweathered Dapol wagon (the third from the right).  I painted the roofs of the Bachmann wagons with a dark grey Vallejo mix, and the same for the Toad.  A pin wash will be next.  The eagle-eyed might notice that I haven't bothered to couple the wagons - I'll be taking them all back to the workbench later today, so there didn't seem to be much point!

IMG20220814124824.jpg.b0f57eb679bebcd08cc37ed5a045ccfb.jpg

Impressed. Are you planning to insert some cattle or sheep?

Andy

Very nice job there. I will be needing a large number of cattle trucks for my layout. I've collected a lot of kits down the years and a few RTR. Once I have the eastern end of the layout something like complete I will be having a mad production line session to get a couple of trains built.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Impressed. Are you planning to insert some cattle or sheep?

Andy

Ah, now there you have put your finger on the flaw in my plan!  I think I will take the easy way out and call this an empty train coming into Chuffnell Regis to collect cattle.  I have a few - admittedly somewhat undernourished - Herefords lurking on the cattle dock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice job there. I will be needing a large number of cattle trucks for my layout. I've collected a lot of kits down the years and a few RTR. Once I have the eastern end of the layout something like complete I will be having a mad production line session to get a couple of trains built.

Thanks Rob.  There wasn't really a plan when I started on these - we were always told that a plan is just a basis for change!  But I'm leaning towards having a few trains that will stay in fixed formations, provided that I can come up with a storage solution (hence the posts about cassettes and so on).  The cattle train will be one of those fixed sets, I think.  Which also gives me an excuse to buy a few more Toads 🙂

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

True, I did have a try with a couple of the wagons while I was messing about with them, but was worried that I was going to break things (again).

I suppose that may be the advantage of the Dapol ones that are missing the bar over the opening - maybe you can some in through there before you add the bar?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A nice idea but I've already fitted the bars.  And to be honest I think even my slightly anorexic cows might not fit through the gap anyway.  I'll just stick with it being the premise of an empty train arriving.

But then of course, what about when it leaves?  Maybe I should build a cattle train of full wagons as well...

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A nice idea but I've already fitted the bars.  And to be honest I think even my slightly anorexic cows might not fit through the gap anyway.  I'll just stick with it being the premise of an empty train arriving.

But then of course, what about when it leaves?  Maybe I should build a cattle train of full wagons as well...

One can never have too many wagons….

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

As you'd expect from a chap with such an arsenal at his disposal, I'm comprehensively outgunned by Mr W.  My count is 42 wagons, plus another 20 or so kits waiting to be ruined built.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The two LMS cattle wagons and the Toad have now had a pin wash.  If nothing else they don't look quite so plasticky any more.  I only got these three done, as it takes a surprisingly long time to do these.  It does for me, anyway...

IMG20220814161333.jpg.2249022690260b64c47648f2740e2632.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

dyslexia rules KO

Which reminds me of a joke, naturally.

Did you hear about the atheist insomniac dyslexic?

He lay awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Oh, my coat - thank you!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The problem with a lot of RTR cattle wagons is that you can't get the roof off easily to fit a livestock load.

The Bachmann GWR version chassis comes away with patience to detail the interior of them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The two LMS cattle wagons and the Toad have now had a pin wash.  If nothing else they don't look quite so plasticky any more.  I only got these three done, as it takes a surprisingly long time to do these.  It does for me, anyway...

IMG20220814161333.jpg.2249022690260b64c47648f2740e2632.jpg

Nice job!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Which reminds me of a joke, naturally.

Did you hear about the atheist insomniac dyslexic?

He lay awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Oh, my coat - thank you!

not heard that one before

there’s the one about a chap asking a Tobogganist for 20 Benson & Hedges

I'll get my coat too

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The Bachmann GWR version chassis comes away with patience to detail the interior of them.

I might try again at some point then, but for now I need to get the weathering finished really.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got quite a few already Andy - probably enough, if I'm to be honest, but don't quote me on that 🙂

First of all a B-set, of course, plus a strengthening coach, all in shirtbutton livery (not sure exactly what they're called, I know next to nothing about coaches)

Four 60' Collett corridor coaches also in shirtbutton livery

One Hawksworth brake composite - too modern for Chuffnell Regis really, but they're nice looking coaches and I couldn't resist!  In fact, these coaches are one of the main things that tempt me into modelling early BR as well, so that I can add a few more.  Problem is I'm not especially keen on most of the diesels that operated on the Western Region

Four rather nice Hornby clerestory coaches

A pair of LMS non-corridor suburbans - equivalent of the B-set I guess?

Various parcels stock

Most still need couplings and details added.  A few came from ebay and need the glazing re-attaching.  They all need passengers adding, and some very mild weathering.

So not much to do there then!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3