Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

On 26/07/2022 at 06:59, Graham T said:

So, I'm pleased to introduce Mrs. Dorothy Travers.  Unfortunately, she doesn't look particularly gruntled in this picture.  It remains to be seen whether that's because nobody has bothered to paint her cardy and headscarf yet, she's still waiting for Tom to sort out that chicken run, or ...

IMG20220725224852.jpg.3a6cdb01f1a3e3bcaa95561eb5d1ae89.jpg

Actually, unpainted looks fine. My granny had a white cardie, and white hair. With her arms crossed, looks just like my granny.

Not sure she had a blue dress, though 🤔

• Informative/Useful 1

I used a white plastic bag, cut to sheet size!!, for my washing line.

My grandparents had a large tin bath which was used to grow vegetables in, I can recall strawberries as well….

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I’m concerned that the tin bath seems to be disappearing down the garden…. In reality it would have been hung up by the back door….

….but as these are “modern” houses and is no longer needed it might have been used as a gold fish pond…. Sunk into the ground.

I remember my grandparents house at Sturmer in the mid-70’s… over to the right were two sheds, where granddad instructed me to roll the extension lead round and insert the two ends together….. so no bugs would get in the lead 🤣 honestly, as a 15/16 year old that’s what he told me… (maybe I was younger!)

Then down the path, past the two sunken tin baths, at the bottom of the garden were all the bee hives. The majority of the back garden was given over to veg.

At the side of the house were fruit bushes, inside a fruit cage. Then a small lawned area and flower beds….. I wish I had photographed it all.

Sadly in the winter it would flood……

Its now a double fronted house, with a swimming pool ! I kid you not 🤣🤣

Lovely scene Graham, you have a story telling nack, that then brings out our stories as well… 

Thanks Graham. Oh! And greetings from Henley-on-Thames 😎

Thanks very much Neal 🙂

I don't think Tom has quite decided what to do with the old tin bath, now that they've had that new-fangled item put in the house.  I suspect it might just linger in the garden for now, with some dingy green water (aka gloss varnish with a touch of green paint) in the bottom of it.  I'll probably add a few flowers somewhere, just to keep Dorothy happy.

My grandparents' garden did feature a wriggly tin lean to, of course, but otherwise wasn't much like what I've depicted.  No chickens, for one thing.  And rather than a railway line, the land behind the gardens actually rose up to some woods.  I do remember it being grey and wet a lot of the time, with hordes of pheasants!

Glad you're enjoying the Travers story - more to come, no doubt!

Oh, and greetings as well from both Chuffnell R, and Vienna 🍻

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, aardvark said:

Actually, unpainted looks fine. My granny had a white cardie, and white hair. With her arms crossed, looks just like my granny.

Not sure she had a blue dress, though 🤔

I'll correct the dress presently, Monsieur Vark 🥸

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Continuing something I started over at @MrWolf's Aston on Clun, here's another joke (of sorts) for you...

Two nuns are driving through Transylvania on a dark and stormy night.  Rain is lashing down, and there are ominous grumblings of thunder.  Lightning pierces the night sky.

Suddenly - the devil appears on the bonnet of the car, leering horribly through the windscreen!  The nuns are, of course, utterly terrified.

The first nun screams out "Show him your cross!  Show him your cross!"

The second nun tightens her grip on the wheel, stares the devil in the eye, and shouts...

... "Get off my f***ing bonnet!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Continuing something I started over at @MrWolf's Aston on Clun, here's another joke (of sorts) for you...

Two nuns are driving through Transylvania on a dark and stormy night.  Rain is lashing down, and there are ominous grumblings of thunder.  Lightning pierces the night sky.

Suddenly - the devil appears on the bonnet of the car, leering horribly through the windscreen!  The nuns are, of course, utterly terrified.

The first nun screams out "Show him your cross!  Show him your cross!"

The second nun tightens her grip on the wheel, stares the devil in the eye, and shouts...

... "Get off my f***ing bonnet!"

my other half used to use that in his act 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2022 at 09:42, Graham T said:

Thanks George, that's the sort of stuff I'm looking for, although it needs to be very fine of course.  I'll go prowling around the local shops later today, time permitting.

How goes the house-hunting?

Graham, sorry to use your thread for this. But today was a good day!

I got a firm offer on our house this morning. And my offer on the house in Minehead was accepted. Altogether quite a good days work.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

Graham, sorry to use your thread for this. But today was a good day!

No problem George, always happy to hear good news!

1 hour ago, Gedward said:

I got a firm offer on our house this morning. And my offer on the house in Minehead was accepted. Altogether quite a good days work.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

After my early years growing up in Paddington from 1955 to 1969. Then these past 30 years, spent in east London. Now I have to catch the brand new Elizabeth line train to Paddington to reach Minehead. Somewhat poetic I'm thinking. Serendipitous even.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

As an engineer I’d say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Or you could say that it is indeed full - half with beer (other drinks are available, apparently), and half with air.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I only had a little time for modelling today, but did get the chicken run fencing painted.  I've also scratched away most of the grass from inside the run, and a little bit of the lawn next to the coal bunker.  No idea where the chickens have got to - perhaps they're all tucked up in the coop as it's getting late.  Mr and Mrs T also seem to have called it a day, although I see that Fritz is still keeping a watchful eye on the bees...

IMG20220728223103.jpg.8ad2ab7819e32f7bd3960ea951479a12.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Fritz is still keeping a watchful eye on the bees

They must have done something to get his attention. He was looking at the signal box earlier.

The chicken run looks great. Is that an OO scale egg just in front of the chicken at the top of the ramp?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Is that an OO scale egg just in front of the chicken at the top of the ramp?

It's actually a small blob of glue 

Yes it's an egg 😀

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Glass half empty, Mr W?  🙂

Not at all, I just have contingency plans for the inevitable.

Glass always half full and quite possibly a full one hidden somewhere. 😉

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

Or you could say that it is indeed full - half with beer (other drinks are available, apparently), and half with air.

Unless you're drinking in a vacuum of course. But I wouldn't recommend that, there's no atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Another shot of Chuffnell R from this morning, that I'm quite pleased with - apart from the gap under the PW hut, which will get filled (eventually!), and the shoddy join in the backscene.  You can even see the inside of the signal box, which is usually hidden.

IMG20220729073502.jpg.6360f7cfd4a7fe7cc6530b431b270485.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4