Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Which you haven't (yet) modelled, I note...  😀

I have modelled them, I just need a higher resolution camera 🥸

Yes, it's best not to try out your new static grass applicator on the kitchen table while a meal is being prepared. Err... I mean, so I've heard. Obviously I've never been so foolish as to do anything like that myself.

Oops!  Fritz tells me there's plenty of room in his doghouse if you need a refuge...

One observation, if I may. The coal bunker is rather blocking the path. Either the path would be extended a bit around it, or there'd be some wear to the grass just in front of it, as poor old Tom would have to walk over the grass every time he came round the side of the house.

That's a good point, and will add a nice little detail.  I'll put a worn patch in the lawn, I think.  Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Graham, that's really coming together well now. I see you're really building on the narrative. Which is what we all try to achieve with our little cameos.

I was looking for a similar material for the nets on my trawler. I got hold of some 'tulle' from the flea bay. It's not too bad for me I guess, but thinking it would be a bit course for chicken wire.

Edited by Gedward
typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George, that's the sort of stuff I'm looking for, although it needs to be very fine of course.  I'll go prowling around the local shops later today, time permitting.

How goes the house-hunting?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

How goes the house-hunting?

Well it's living up to its reputation of being one of life's most stressful experiences.

We received an offer a couple of weeks ago. And soon afterwards, found the perfect house in Minehead. I took a 400 mile round trip, loved the house, made an offer. Got home and my agent informed me that my buyer had withdrawn their offer. Christ on a bike!!

But the vendor in Minehead, has taken his property off the market. Having recently been through the exact same thing, decided to give me some time. Now I'm hoping to get another offer asap. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Gedward
typos
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Graham T said:

I didn't get much modelling time today, but did manage to add a few little details to the cottage gardens.

Fritz the German shepherd is wondering if the veg plots will ever get dug over, so that he has somewhere to hide bones.  He's also keeping a sensible distance from the small, buzzing inhabitants now living under the tree.

IMG20220724220228.jpg.12a84df05e1a607ab835625dd1603f8d.jpg

Meanwhile, next door Tom Travers is still patiently watching over his flock - like a hawk, you might say.  Hopefully he's a patient man, as who knows how long it will be before the chicken run gets built...

IMG20220724220247.jpg.fccd39b2c679af2fc0b51842bba96e9f.jpg

I will now spend the next several weeks (months?) hunting down stray strands of static grass ☹️

I think that is brilliant. Next the hens will scratch a patch of grass bare.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I think that is brilliant. Next the hens will scratch a patch of grass bare.

That's high on the to do list Andy, just as soon as Tom gets the chicken run sorted out!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Limited modelling time again, but I do like to at least a little bit every evening if I can.  Tonight's efforts were to start painting a new figure, and to butcher some plasticard.

So, I'm pleased to introduce Mrs. Dorothy Travers.  Unfortunately, she doesn't look particularly gruntled in this picture.  It remains to be seen whether that's because nobody has bothered to paint her cardy and headscarf yet, she's still waiting for Tom to sort out that chicken run, or ...

IMG20220725224852.jpg.3a6cdb01f1a3e3bcaa95561eb5d1ae89.jpg

She's just caught sight of this, which has appeared in her garden while she was at the shops in Chuffnell Regis, getting a nice bit of liver for Tom's supper...

IMG20220725224907.jpg.d619b14cbf7b8b9c179c873074bde459.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One thing that you do get around the edges of a chicken run on ground that is otherwise scratched bare is little clumps of those short nettles which seem to sting worse than the six footers. Even the chickens aren't interested in those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping to get some tulle in the post tomorrow, and so will be able to add the chicken run - hopefully.  Then most of the grass will get removed from inside the run, and I'll dot some scraggly weeds about.  Not sure how well I'll be able to represent nettles though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The shed has now been subjected to some fairly serious weatherage, and is looking more at home I think (although I'm not sure Mrs. Travers agrees).  The roof needs another black wash or two, perhaps, and obviously everything needs bedding into the landscape with some weeds and so on.  I'll put a water butt under the end of the guttering, and perhaps have a rummage around in the parts bin to see if there's any bits of junk I could hide in the corner of the garden...

IMG20220726155911.jpg.700dde78773eb321cf2442cde6f05efe.jpg

IMG20220726155938.jpg.238e8edf987e94289bf7a358fca86ccc.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

With some cane wigwams for the sweet peas?

I've seen others do that, but I really think it might be stretching my modelling "skills" past their breaking point...

• Friendly/supportive 1

An old style clothes post should be easy enough (I've got one to make too) generally wooden, about seven feet high and with two pieces of one inch dowel about ten inches long through the post at ninety degrees to each other, one is set a couple of inches above the other to avoid weakening the post.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In other news, it looks as if Tom Travers has just dealt the coop de grass to his lawn...  Maybe that's why Dorothy has disappeared in a huff, who knows?

IMG20220726220617.jpg.d20b0c5c4a03d206d2de5239251998cb.jpg

A couple of the posts need straightening out, but I must admit I'm not too worried about getting everything square - I don't think Tom would have been!  The netting is way overscale I know, but it's the finest stuff I could find.  It was also only available in quite a large roll, so I have plenty spare if anyone needs some (I think I could probably build around a million or so chicken coops with what I have...)

The posts will obviously be getting a splash of paint once the glue has dried, and then I can start tearing up all that lovely grass.  I might leave the netting unpainted, I'm not sure yet.  Anyone have any suggestions on that?

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

An old style clothes post should be easy enough (I've got one to make too) generally wooden, about seven feet high and with two pieces of one inch dowel about ten inches long through the post at ninety degrees to each other, one is set a couple of inches above the other to avoid weakening the post.

Just what I had in mind Rob; probably one at each end of the path.  If I'm feeling crazy brave I might even try to hang some washing out...

• Like 3

Cigarette paper would make a sheet hung on the line...

Or you could cut and fold a shirt from it if you're feeling particularly dexterous!

The chicken run looks great, if the posts were all square, they wouldn't have been for long. Chickens tend to dig quite large holes that need filling in regularly, it would soon make for a wonky fence.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You can get your own back shortly, my crossing house garden is the next thing to deal with.

I'm looking forward to seeing that!  Personally I'm getting a bit tired of gardening, soon be time to get back to playing with trains.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I’m concerned that the tin bath seems to be disappearing down the garden…. In reality it would have been hung up by the back door….

….but as these are “modern” houses and is no longer needed it might have been used as a gold fish pond…. Sunk into the ground.

I remember my grandparents house at Sturmer in the mid-70’s… over to the right were two sheds, where granddad instructed me to roll the extension lead round and insert the two ends together….. so no bugs would get in the lead 🤣 honestly, as a 15/16 year old that’s what he told me… (maybe I was younger!)

Then down the path, past the two sunken tin baths, at the bottom of the garden were all the bee hives. The majority of the back garden was given over to veg.

At the side of the house were fruit bushes, inside a fruit cage. Then a small lawned area and flower beds….. I wish I had photographed it all.

Sadly in the winter it would flood……

Its now a double fronted house, with a swimming pool ! I kid you not 🤣🤣

Lovely scene Graham, you have a story telling nack, that then brings out our stories as well… 

Thanks Graham. Oh! And greetings from Henley-on-Thames 😎

• Like 3