Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much Chris.  I think I'll put the scale eggs in the same basket as the scale chicken wire, if you don't mind!

Well credit where it’s due, it’s a great little scene with excellent attention to detail

As far as the eggs I only suggested it before someone else did…..mentioning no names but they know who they are

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The coop is a laser cut kit from Model Scene.  It's actually 1:87 scale, but still pretty big, and I was worried it would look a bit too grand for rural Herefordshire.  But lots of grot and grime seems to have taken it down a peg or two!

And the hens are HO scale too, so they don't mind 🙂

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think that's brilliant, Graham. I can't believe the difference that the surrounding greenery has made to the building. Your example encourages me for when I get to scenicing.

But a few words about chickens.

They'd have a run, which would be fenced.  In the era you're modelling, I doubt they'd be let out to free range. I appreciate the difficult of modelling chicken wire, but there'd be posts and a gate. The area inside the wire would be bare, as the chickens would have eaten/scratched it all away, with the possible exception of a few weeds that managed to get too big to scratch and too unpalatable to eat.

Having fenced the chickens in, there'd be garden beds. Anyone with chickens would have vegies too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

That looks great Graham. A lovely scene. I do see where Monsieur Vark is coming from, but.................

I'd leave well alone. It looks just right as is and to tamper with it now just wouldn't be the right thing to do. 

Cracking modelling. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I side with M. Vark on the chicken run.

My grandfather's favourite stories to me were from when he was a poultry breeder in suburban S. Glos. between WWI & WWII. He told of regular "missions" with my uncle in search of the raiding foxes forever trying to get in. Having been brought up on a farm, a shotgun was the readily available weapon of choice and I can still see his or my uncle's eyes sparkle at the thought of memories of those hunts!

Nearer to home (suburban outer Melbourne, Vic), jump forward 100 years and we regularly see signs of foxes in our back yard. I've even spotted one sitting on my back fence. From my POV their role in controlling possums is greatly undervalued here! I regularly find bits and pieces scatted around my yard, ex-possums that is!

So the chooks would not last a week without an enclosure. For mesh, a light colored fly screen will do a fine job, not too dark or it'll be too obvious. I think my stock was a bit dark so I spray painted it in undercoat to tone down the appearance.

For the obligatory vege patch you can't go past Little Muddle but get in touch if you want some examples, given photos lost and not yet restored.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, aardvark said:

I think that's brilliant, Graham. I can't believe the difference that the surrounding greenery has made to the building. Your example encourages me for when I get to scenicing.

But a few words about chickens.

They'd have a run, which would be fenced.  In the era you're modelling, I doubt they'd be let out to free range. I appreciate the difficult of modelling chicken wire, but there'd be posts and a gate. The area inside the wire would be bare, as the chickens would have eaten/scratched it all away, with the possible exception of a few weeds that managed to get too big to scratch and too unpalatable to eat.

Having fenced the chickens in, there'd be garden beds. Anyone with chickens would have vegies too.

Thanks aardvark.  Unusually, I did a bit of research on this, but just chickened out of modelling the wire...  ahem.

If however a chap was tempted the possible insanity of trying to model this wretched stuff, what sort of materials might he use?  I've considered stealing a small piece of the net curtain over the back door of my flat, but suspect that the landlady might be a little disgruntled.

Vege beds are on the long list of things to do for the other garden too.

1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

I side with M. Vark on the chicken run.

My grandfather's favourite stories to me were from when he was a poultry breeder in suburban S. Glos. between WWI & WWII. He told of regular "missions" with my uncle in search of the raiding foxes forever trying to get in. Having been brought up on a farm, a shotgun was the readily available weapon of choice and I can still see his or my uncle's eyes sparkle at the thought of memories of those hunts!

Nearer to home (suburban outer Melbourne, Vic), jump forward 100 years and we regularly see signs of foxes in our back yard. I've even spotted one sitting on my back fence. From my POV their role in controlling possums is greatly undervalued here! I regularly find bits and pieces scatted around my yard, ex-possums that is!

So the chooks would not last a week without an enclosure. For mesh, a light colored fly screen will do a fine job, not too dark or it'll be too obvious. I think my stock was a bit dark so I spray painted it in undercoat to tone down the appearance.

For the obligatory vege patch you can't go past Little Muddle but get in touch if you want some examples, given photos lost and not yet restored.

I get the feeling you colonials are ganging up on me 😀  I'll definitely be referencing LM for the veg plots.  Can't remember if I said it here or on another thread - I know you shouldn't model a model, but if you do - then Little Muddle is a good bar to set yourself!

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That looks great Graham. A lovely scene. I do see where Monsieur Vark is coming from, but.................

I'd leave well alone. It looks just right as is and to tamper with it now just wouldn't be the right thing to do. 

Cracking modelling. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, very kind.  I should leave well enough alone, but...  We'll see!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M. Vark? I like it. I might even have to change my username 😄

But a fox is a great idea to add to Graham's modelling list, given that the building is on the edge of "the wilds".  I've lost two chickens to one of the wretched things.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

54 minutes ago, Graham T said:

There's another cracking idea Monsieur Vark.  I'm off to google 4mm scale foxes...

I think Dart Castings do foxes Graham. 

For total realism  they should do a version running away with a bloodied chicken  in its jaws. 

Reynard the fox can have a tendency to kill every chicken it comes across but  only take one for food.  O.k. might be a bit much to have dead chickens littering your wonderful scene, with blood and feathers.   

Love the work you've done to bed the house into the scene.  Great landscaping

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gopher said:

I think Dart Castings do foxes Graham. 

For total realism  they should do a version running away with a bloodied chicken  in its jaws. 

Reynard the fox can have a tendency to kill every chicken it comes across but  only take one for food.  O.k. might be a bit much to have dead chickens littering your wonderful scene, with blood and feathers.   

Love the work you've done to bed the house into the scene.  Great landscaping

I found a ready painted one at Osborn's.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get much modelling time today, but did manage to add a few little details to the cottage gardens.

Fritz the German shepherd is wondering if the veg plots will ever get dug over, so that he has somewhere to hide bones.  He's also keeping a sensible distance from the small, buzzing inhabitants now living under the tree.

IMG20220724220228.jpg.12a84df05e1a607ab835625dd1603f8d.jpg

Meanwhile, next door Tom Travers is still patiently watching over his flock - like a hawk, you might say.  Hopefully he's a patient man, as who knows how long it will be before the chicken run gets built...

IMG20220724220247.jpg.fccd39b2c679af2fc0b51842bba96e9f.jpg

I will now spend the next several weeks (months?) hunting down stray strands of static grass ☹️

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

the small, buzzing inhabitants

Which you haven't (yet) modelled, I note...  😀

I will now spend the next several weeks (months?) hunting down stray strands of static grass

Yes, it's best not to try out your new static grass applicator on the kitchen table while a meal is being prepared. Err... I mean, so I've heard. Obviously I've never been so foolish as to do anything like that myself.

IMG20220724220247.jpg.fccd39b2c679af2fc0b51842bba96e9f.jpg

One observation, if I may. The coal bunker is rather blocking the path. Either the path would be extended a bit around it, or there'd be some wear to the grass just in front of it, as poor old Tom would have to walk over the grass every time he came round the side of the house.

Edited by BroadLeaves
Pour spelling and grammer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1