Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

That's a definite improvement. Can I ask a question / get the benefit of your experience? 

Mine is, I think, an older model than yours:

IMG_0632.JPG.7221f3998cbe86179bfd2be00630557d.JPG

To remove the bunker, presumably I just need to unclip these two green clips on the underside at of the bodyshell at the rear?

IMG_0633.JPG.7e8e51981c0d1cde696a96429a0af672.JPG

I think it might well be an older one, yes.  Seems to have traction tyres?

And that is the way to remove the bunker.  I used two small flat bladed screwdrivers; it's a touch fiddly as you need to release both clips at the same time to get the bunker away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

There is a clear set of photos of 1819 in Russell vol 2 showing the little valve if that helps.

I don't have that book Andy - might you be able to message me a shot of one of those photos?  I assume it can't be posted publicly on here.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

ps - now I look in vol 1 the photos show this class with a fully enclosed cab - is there a rear cab bulkhead to go in during your mods?

No, I'm planning to leave the cab open.  Might not be accurate for the number I suppose, but c'est la vie, Rule 1, etc.!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Graham,

A few things to try, snip off the capacitor, but you need to be careful as the “legs” are connected to the track feed.

E9EEEB95-FB36-4CDB-B2A8-8F66BE3B127E.jpeg.accdc062f2c371759dbc139838695be6.jpeg

Did it run ok on DC before the conversion?

Have you checked all your solder joints?

Then check continuity from one end of the pick up cable to the other - checking for any breaks inside the cable.

Do the pick ups engage with the wheel backs all the time? Was the waddle earlier to do with one axle being out - which means the pickups are not striking?

Sorry it’s all fault finding and from bitter experience, it’s not fun.

Good luck, stick with it and you will get there. PM me if you need further suggestions.

Thanks Neal.  The capacitor is the little brown circular wotsit, yes?  I'll try that first.  Then check all the soldering...  

I didn't test it on DC by the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last sitrep of the day.  Some slow but steady progress has been made by the resident bodgers at Chuffnell R.  Second tank filler has been fitted, and I tried out a fibreglass pencil for removing the lettering - seems to work nicely.  I also cut away the moulded smokebox dart and added an Alan Gibson one.  Putting that together was a barrel of laughs, makes threading needles while wearing boxing gloves seem easy!

And I also removed the rather odd looking Hornby chimney.  I haven't yet glued the new one in place, as I think I need to do a touch more firtling to the top of the smokebox to get a nice fit.  But that's a job for another day.

IMG20220516230634.jpg.84425d5dac4d54ccf9404aa2c89ffaf8.jpg

IMG20220516230655.jpg.9176fc2d54b59fed33358090a72e29b7.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Already that’s going to look hugely different once it’s painted.

Are you going to replace the handrail knobs? I think the handrail itself is fine, but perhaps change the knobs, they look too big!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Already that’s going to look hugely different once it’s painted.

Are you going to replace the handrail knobs? I think the handrail itself is fine, but perhaps change the knobs, they look too big!

The handrail knobs weren't on my original to-do list, but I think you're right, they should also be replaced.

Any recommendations on a supplier?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The handrail knobs weren't on my original to-do list, but I think you're right, they should also be replaced.

The quality your getting here you will next be on to full brass kit building!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I think I'll probably go with 24/7 again, come to think of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

The quality your getting here you will next be on to full brass kit building!

You haven't seen my soldering Andy!

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I think you should probably name it "Theseus" when you're finished.

Sorry but I'm obviously missing the point here...

• RMweb Gold

I took the plunge and amputated the capacitor this morning.  Not sure how much difference that has made, but I also cleaned (again) all the problematic track with IPA, paying particular attention to the switch rail contact points.  Oh how I wish I'd modified my points before laying them!  That is something I will definitely do for CR Mk II - which makes me wonder how @Harlequin is getting on with brewing up a fiendish plan for that?

Anyway, all that work, a few trips to the profanity bank, lots of head-scratching with a multimeter in hand, and a judicious tweak of a switch rail - 2732 will now navigate the problem stretch of track without stalling, spluttering, or generally being a temperamental pita.  Here's hoping it stays that way.  Now, back to work!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

CR Mk II - which makes me wonder how @Harlequin is getting on with brewing up a fiendish plan for that?

I'm cogitating, trying different combinations of things but still waiting for that magic "click" to happen. 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm cogitating, trying different combinations of things but still waiting for that magic "click" to happen. 🤔

I'm looking forward to that click!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Aha!  Got you, thanks.  A bit like Caesar's dagger then, or indeed Trigger's broom 🙂

I thought it was the bit about rightly  executing the gangster Sinis and boning his daughter as a mark of victory...

• RMweb Gold

I had a bit of an outbreak of motivation this evening, and so have made quite a lot of progress with 2732.

The buffers have been amputated, ready to take the whitemetal ones from 24/7, but I'm not entirely happy with those.  One of the heads is a bit malformed, and I'm not sure how strong they will be, so I think I'll try to get some turned brass ones instead.  Other bits done:  valve added on top of dome, tiny bits of plasticard rod on top of the sandbox lids, lamp irons on the footplate, injectors added on each side, cab glazing and spectacle plates fitted, and the plastic cab handrails cut off and replaced with .5mm wire (salvaged from the Ratio cattle dock).  I think that's it!

Still need to add couplings, vacuum and steam heating pipes, and lamp irons at the front.

IMG20220517231315.jpg.b74f1f5f3a4ceac146529ace7d19aaaa.jpg

IMG20220517231340.jpg.8f0d5a073c16cdb6e15d690a5e9ebcae.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

23 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The buffers have been amputated, ready to take the whitemetal ones from 24/7, but I'm not entirely happy with those. 

I've found the buffers from Lanarkshire quite good.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It's getting there, slowly.  But have come to a stop due to the lack of buffers (there's got to be a joke in there somewhere).  I could temporarily fit the whitemetal ones, I suppose...

Perhaps I'll switch targets, and see if I can shoehorn the motor, speaker, and so on back into the body.

• Like 1