Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like that a lot. It's making me want to dig out my half cab panniers for an overhaul.

Unfortunately, my version of what @NHY 581refers to as The Desk of Doing is still in kit form.

That's a touch meta - you need to build a kit before you can build any kits...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Clearly you are far too over educated for a career in journalism after all. 😀

Thankfully a career in journalism was never of interest. I think growing up in the mid-70’s as a teenager we could see what rags the papers were. I don’t recall my careers officer at all, but I suspect they would have a few things to say if I said I wanted to work for The Sun or the News of the World (other papers were available, as were some decent journo types, but they seem few and far between 😎)

Nice work on the bunker Graham 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The lamp brackets have been added too.  The top one needs a touch of firtling, but Zebedee is telling me that's enough for this evening.  I'll straighten it up tomorrow when the superglue has had time to harden off properly.

IMG20220515221621.jpg.378647e77add2ca8769b42740a48d27e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The lamp brackets have been added too.  The top one needs a touch of firtling, but Zebedee is telling me that's enough for this evening.  I'll straighten it up tomorrow when the superglue has had time to harden off properly.

IMG20220515221621.jpg.378647e77add2ca8769b42740a48d27e.jpg

That's taken it a long way from a forty year old toy already. Nice job, must get some lamp irons bought!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

found a good ref for the Hornby pannier here,

In case the quoting eats the link, it's https://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier

That's a really useful and well detailed guide. I have three of the older (pre-DCC) panniers of that model that should be (if I can pluck up the courage to start taking the knife to them) updated and that site will be a big help. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thankfully a career in journalism was never of interest. I think growing up in the mid-70’s as a teenager we could see what rags the papers were. I don’t recall my careers officer at all, but I suspect they would have a few things to say if I said I wanted to work for The Sun or the News of the World (other papers were available, as were some decent journo types, but they seem few and far between 😎)

Nice work on the bunker Graham 

They hadn't improved any by the mid eighties and I suspect that the reaction would have been the same. Besides, it would have been a waste of an 'A' in English Language...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

In case the quoting eats the link, it's https://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier

That's a really useful and well detailed guide. I have three of the older (pre-DCC) panniers of that model that should be (if I can pluck up the courage to start taking the knife to them) updated and that site will be a big help. Thank you.

Very interesting conversion, I’m surprised he didn’t do the lamp irons on the rear.

Personally I think the gloss finish is too much, but overall he’s done a good job. It just shows though how things have changed in a short space of time… clearly there was no Modelu at the time!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's taken it a long way from a forty year old toy already. Nice job, must get some lamp irons bought!

Thanks Rob.  Long way to go yet, and I'm waiting for a selection of bits from 24/7 Developments to arrive before I can do much more.

As for the intermittent running, having slept on it I'll check the back to backs, and then adjust the keeper plate screws.  Other locos run fine over the bits of track that 2732 doesn't like, so I think the issue is with the loco itself.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

It's very helpful.  Give the pannier update a try!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Very interesting conversion, I’m surprised he didn’t do the lamp irons on the rear.

Personally I think the gloss finish is too much, but overall he’s done a good job. It just shows though how things have changed in a short space of time… clearly there was no Modelu at the time!

Yes I wondered about the lamp brackets too, and agree with you about the ex-works finish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a really nice facelift in that link and yours is taking shape very nicely, Graham. Very inspiring..

This has also made me realise that I had one of these, long gone now, some forty years ago...................bought when I was a 'Saturday lad' in Beatties, Cardiff......

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That's a really nice facelift in that link and yours is taking shape very nicely, Graham. Very inspiring..

This has also made me realise that I had one of these, long gone now, some forty years ago...................bought when I was a 'Saturday lad' in Beatties, Cardiff......

Rob. 

Ah, Saturday jobs.  One of my favourites was at Millet's in Hereford.  This was when they had a record department (!) and the manager used to let me tape whatever I wanted, so long as I bought the cassettes there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Ah, Saturday jobs.  One of my favourites was at Millet's in Hereford.  This was when they had a record department (!) and the manager used to let me tape whatever I wanted, so long as I bought the cassettes there.

My first Saturday job was in MacFisheries in Feltham. I had no idea what I was doing and it was an awful place!

Different times

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some firtling of 2732 has improved its running, but it still isn't brilliant.  The fact that I didn't modify most of my electrofrog points probably doesn't help, but the majority of my other locos can cope with them, so I think most of the problems still lie with 2732.  One of the back to backs was out, and I've tried differing tensions on the keeper plate screws.  I've also cleaned the track, but will try some IPA around the point blades as well, and clean 2732's wheels again.  Maybe it's just an old and not especially brilliant chassis?  I have heard that a Bachmann 57xx chassis will fit the Hornby body, so perhaps I'll try to find one...

Anyway, all that hasn't saved the loco from some more wanton hackery.  In no particular order, I've painted the footplate and added some coal - the glue's still wet in the pic.  I might heap a bit more on top later.  I've also started taking a razor saw to the bodywork, which was a tad nerve-wracking.  The saw got most of the tank filler off, and then a new scalpel blade cleaned everything up ready for the replacement white metal filler.  And the backhead has been treated to some paint as well.  It looks ok in the real world, but of course the camera makes it all look rather shoddy!

IMG20220516190441.jpg.5ec0d2431f520cd9317fd8488e5e34f8.jpg

IMG20220516190458.jpg.d5d7f75ed7ae40272905383cc47d111a.jpg

IMG20220516190541.jpg.0d0f436caf404ec16d03a746b7f421d2.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I also need to figure out what the valve (?) on top of the dome looks like.  I can't seem to find a clear picture of one.  Can anyone help me out?  Bueller?

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Some firtling of 2732 has improved its running, but it still isn't brilliant.  The fact that I didn't modify most of my electrofrog points probably doesn't help, but the majority of my other locos can cope with them, so I think most of the problems still lie with 2732.  One of the back to backs was out, and I've tried differing tensions on the keeper plate screws.  I've also cleaned the track, but will try some IPA around the point blades as well, and clean 2732's wheels again.  Maybe it's just an old and not especially brilliant chassis?  I have heard that a Bachmann 57xx chassis will fit the Hornby body, so perhaps I'll try to find one...

Anyway, all that hasn't saved the loco from some more wanton hackery.  In no particular order, I've painted the footplate and added some coal - the glue's still wet in the pic.  I might heap a bit more on top later.  I've also started taking a razor saw to the bodywork, which was a tad nerve-wracking.  The saw got most of the tank filler off, and then a new scalpel blade cleaned everything up ready for the replacement white metal filler.  And the backhead has been treated to some paint as well.  It looks ok in the real world, but of course the camera makes it all look rather shoddy!

IMG20220516190441.jpg.5ec0d2431f520cd9317fd8488e5e34f8.jpg

IMG20220516190458.jpg.d5d7f75ed7ae40272905383cc47d111a.jpg

IMG20220516190541.jpg.0d0f436caf404ec16d03a746b7f421d2.jpg

Graham

Love what you are doing to the little tank. Without wanting to teach you to suck eggs, regarding the running, can I ask how the motor is wired from the pickups? Do you have wheel rubbing pickups on both sides? do the wires from these go directly to the motor? Have you tried applying power directly to the motor to see if it runs OKwhen connected up?

Andy

That's a definite improvement. Can I ask a question / get the benefit of your experience? 

Mine is, I think, an older model than yours:

IMG_0632.JPG.7221f3998cbe86179bfd2be00630557d.JPG

To remove the bunker, presumably I just need to unclip these two green clips on the underside at of the bodyshell at the rear?

IMG_0633.JPG.7e8e51981c0d1cde696a96429a0af672.JPG

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I also need to figure out what the valve (?) on top of the dome looks like.  I can't seem to find a clear picture of one.  Can anyone help me out?  Bueller?

There is a clear set of photos of 1819 in Russell vol 2 showing the little valve if that helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

There is a clear set of photos of 1819 in Russell vol 2 showing the little valve if that helps.

ps - now I look in vol 1 the photos show this class with a fully enclosed cab - is there a rear cab bulkhead to go in during your mods?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

A few things to try, snip off the capacitor, but you need to be careful as the “legs” are connected to the track feed.

E9EEEB95-FB36-4CDB-B2A8-8F66BE3B127E.jpeg.accdc062f2c371759dbc139838695be6.jpeg

Did it run ok on DC before the conversion?

Have you checked all your solder joints?

Then check continuity from one end of the pick up cable to the other - checking for any breaks inside the cable.

Do the pick ups engage with the wheel backs all the time? Was the waddle earlier to do with one axle being out - which means the pickups are not striking?

Sorry it’s all fault finding and from bitter experience, it’s not fun.

Good luck, stick with it and you will get there. PM me if you need further suggestions.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Graham,

A few things to try, snip off the capacitor, but you need to be careful as the “legs” are connected to the track feed.

E9EEEB95-FB36-4CDB-B2A8-8F66BE3B127E.jpeg.accdc062f2c371759dbc139838695be6.jpeg

Did it run ok on DC before the conversion?

Have you checked all your solder joints?

Then check continuity from one end of the pick up cable to the other - checking for any breaks inside the cable.

Do the pick ups engage with the wheel backs all the time? Was the waddle earlier to do with one axle being out - which means the pickups are not striking?

Sorry it’s all fault finding and from bitter experience, it’s not fun.

Good luck, stick with it and you will get there. PM me if you need further suggestions.

I use phosphor wire pickups running directly on the top of the tyre rather than the back of the wheel as these tend to be kept cleaner and the wire is above the footplate so not visible. They also work with compensated chassis locos.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham

Love what you are doing to the little tank. Without wanting to teach you to suck eggs, regarding the running, can I ask how the motor is wired from the pickups? Do you have wheel rubbing pickups on both sides? do the wires from these go directly to the motor? Have you tried applying power directly to the motor to see if it runs OKwhen connected up?

Andy

Thanks Andy, got some more done this evening too (had enough of working).  There are copper pick-ups rubbing against the rear faces of the fore and aft driving wheels on each side, then wires from the centre of each pick-up to the motor.  I haven't tried applying power dreckly - to be honest, I'm not quite sure how I would even.  The loco runs fine on the rolling road, so I think it's perhaps a combination of slop in the axles and my ropey trackwork?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1