Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I did have a nice photo of the whole platform in all its glory to show you, but google photos ate it, and I'm too tired to take more pics now.  Sorry!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

I did have a nice photo of the whole platform in all its glory to show you, but google photos ate it, and I'm too tired to take more pics now.  Sorry!

Blimey that was quick Graham…. How did you get the Google earth satellite to fly over that quickly? Friends in “high places”.

Good luck with retrieving the images.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone else here use google photos?  I use it to edit pics taken on my Android phone, and since yesterday google photos on my iMac has gone weird...

By which I mean:  it will edit a photo (just straightening and cropping, nothing complex), but when I save the edits I get a spinning wheel of death, that doesn't stop.  If I exit out of there the photo has not saved, and is corrupted into the bargain.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the google photos app on my phone, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  I don't think I can do the same with google on the iMac?

Hence no pics appearing in the thread!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm away with work for a while from tomorrow anyway, so work (play!) on Chuffnell Regis will stop for a bit.

Hopefully when I get back (a) google photos will have got its act together, and (b) the postman will have left me some goodies to start firtling 2732.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Does anyone else here use google photos?  I use it to edit pics taken on my Android phone, and since yesterday google photos on my iMac has gone weird...

By which I mean:  it will edit a photo (just straightening and cropping, nothing complex), but when I save the edits I get a spinning wheel of death, that doesn't stop.  If I exit out of there the photo has not saved, and is corrupted into the bargain.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the google photos app on my phone, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  I don't think I can do the same with google on the iMac?

Hence no pics appearing in the thread!

Sorry Graham, not Google photos, but I use the photo app on my iPhone for basic stuff and then affinity for anything more involved.

Ages ago I used photoshop, but for what I needed it was way too advanced. Affinity slots in the middle, there’s a free basic version, or the pro for about 30 / 40 euros… well worth it in my mind.

Hope work away in the next few days is worthwhile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sorry Graham, not Google photos, but I use the photo app on my iPhone for basic stuff and then affinity for anything more involved.

Ages ago I used photoshop, but for what I needed it was way too advanced. Affinity slots in the middle, there’s a free basic version, or the pro for about 30 / 40 euros… well worth it in my mind.

Hope work away in the next few days is worthwhile.

Photoshop now do a cut down version called Photoshop Elements which is what I use when I need more than just a ctop and rotate. I once did a course on the full Photoshop and after five lessons I was still no further forwards - really only for people who use it on a daily basis.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm back 🙂

Google photos seems to be playing nicely with my Mac again now, so here's a pic of the platform with the cinder surface painted.  Next job is to do all the flagstones along the edges.

IMG20220503202351.jpg.36f27694a0fc482aa3cd9eb4b5bf57af.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Pannier 2732 has also been under the knife, for a spot of transplant surgery.  Out with the Hornby DCC decoder, to be replaced with a Zimo sound chip, stay alive, and speaker.  The Zimo MS is a tad taller than the Hornby item, so I had to take a razor saw to the chip housing...

IMG20220514134018.jpg.8742da152ed7017b2d5be41e721807c2.jpg

IMG20220514134046.jpg.e729d5245db1837d29e43288be643573.jpg

And of course Hornby had used a proprietary 4-pin plug, that the Zimo doesn't have, so I had to chop off the plug and socket, and hard wire in the Zimo chip.  Remarkably, after that, the bare chassis happily trundled up and down at Chuffnell R making rather nice chuff chuff noises.  So now I can start hacking the bodywork about...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Pannier 2732 has also been under the knife, for a spot of transplant surgery.  Out with the Hornby DCC decoder, to be replaced with a Zimo sound chip, stay alive, and speaker.  The Zimo MS is a tad taller than the Hornby item, so I had to take a razor saw to the chip housing...

And of course Hornby had used a proprietary 4-pin plug, that the Zimo doesn't have, so I had to chop off the plug and socket, and hard wire in the Zimo chip.  Remarkably, after that, the bare chassis happily trundled up and down at Chuffnell R making rather nice chuff chuff noises.  So now I can start hacking the bodywork about...

I am totally hooked on these sound chips. Not cheap but really great control and sound. Will you add some lamps front and back?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Good to see Graham, can we look forward to some videos soon?

9 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I am totally hooked on these sound chips. Not cheap but really great control and sound. Will you add some lamps front and back?

As you know I’m hooked on DCC sound now, with more decoders on their way to me.

Ages ago I fitted my King with working front lamps and they are very effective…. But very fiddly to set up! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I am totally hooked on these sound chips. 

Same here, I'm planning to fit all my locos, eventually.  But don't think I will go so far as working lamps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Good to see Graham, can we look forward to some videos soon?

That has crossed my mind Neal, I might try to do a short one.  But don't expect the new @Andrew P!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

So, as usually seems to happen, I've reached the limits of my knowledge.  2732 is making a rhythmic clicking noise, and as you can see on the rolling road, has a distinct waddle...

Any of the gurus out there know what might be causing this, and if it's fixable?

Also, the stay-alive doesn't appear to be working.  Not sure if I need to set a CV somewhere to activate it?  I'd  have thought it should be "plug and play", and just work!  But if I cut the DCC power when the locos running then it stops immediately ☹️

The bunker looks weird because it's just sitting in place.  I haven't pushed the locating tabs back into the footplate, as intelligence suggests that the body is going to have to come off again...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more hackery on 2732.  Moulded coal removed and a base added for some real coal to go onto, once everything is painted.  Lamp irons removed from the back of the bunker, ready to receive some etched brass items from Mainly Trains, and the cab floor scribed to suggest planking.

IMG20220515150805.jpg.abc66257171950678f095fc475f99079.jpg

IMG20220515150733.jpg.a243a6abed3b3b215cc5059cf1cb1071.jpg

I still need to clean up the cab floor, as you can see!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Graham T said:

It's been said that I have the perfect face for radio🙂

Afternoon Graham, trust you had a good week or so away on business.

I too had that comment thrown at me ages ago.... and then in the 1990's had a regular Radio slot every week :-) I was a Manager at a Cinema and went in every week to talk about films, the majority of which I had never seen! 

It just shows, you can get away with anything on the radio!

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

So, as usually seems to happen, I've reached the limits of my knowledge.  2732 is making a rhythmic clicking noise, and as you can see on the rolling road, has a distinct waddle...

Any of the gurus out there know what might be causing this, and if it's fixable?

Also, the stay-alive doesn't appear to be working.  Not sure if I need to set a CV somewhere to activate it?  I'd  have thought it should be "plug and play", and just work!  But if I cut the DCC power when the locos running then it stops immediately ☹️

The bunker looks weird because it's just sitting in place.  I haven't pushed the locating tabs back into the footplate, as intelligence suggests that the body is going to have to come off again...

I wouldn't mind betting the waddle is the rolling road. You might find it will disappear when its on the real railway.

Are you sure the connections are round the right way for the stay-alive? They might be reversed, in which case, it wont work. Failing that, check any soldering you have done. (Definitely not a CV setting)

Finally speak to the supplier.... Did you get it from YouChoos? I have always found them to be very helpful.

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

And just to prove that the speaker works!

The waddle appears to have gone....

It might be the internet connection, but it seemed as if the loco momentarily stalled a couple of times.... was it ok?

Other than that, the sound is really good.... You might want to check the synchronisation though to check you are getting the right beats to a revolution. That is definitely a CV setting, the details of which are downstairs (4 flights away!) So will need to dig out the exact details that I have used tomorrow.

Although I think John Hymer at Youchoos has an item about that on the front page of the sound project.

Anyway, good luck, its going to be great when finished.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Afternoon Graham, trust you had a good week or so away on business.

I too had that comment thrown at me ages ago.... and then in the 1990's had a regular Radio slot every week :-) I was a Manager at a Cinema and went in every week to talk about films, the majority of which I had never seen! 

It just shows, you can get away with anything on the radio!

I wouldn't mind betting the waddle is the rolling road. You might find it will disappear when its on the real railway.

Are you sure the connections are round the right way for the stay-alive? They might be reversed, in which case, it wont work. Failing that, check any soldering you have done. (Definitely not a CV setting)

Finally speak to the supplier.... Did you get it from YouChoos? I have always found them to be very helpful.

The waddle appears to have gone....

It might be the internet connection, but it seemed as if the loco momentarily stalled a couple of times.... was it ok?

Other than that, the sound is really good.... You might want to check the synchronisation though to check you are getting the right beats to a revolution. That is definitely a CV setting, the details of which are downstairs (4 flights away!) So will need to dig out the exact details that I have used tomorrow.

Although I think John Hymer at Youchoos has an item about teat on the front page of the sound project.

Anyway, good luck, its going to be great when finished.

Thanks Neal, the time away was well spent but it's nice to get back home (if only for a week...)

The stay-alive is indeed from Youchoos, and I dropped John an email earlier today.  Like you, I've found them to be really helpful - and indeed John has already replied!  The stay-alive was hard-wired to the decoder, so I knew that wasn't the problem.  But due to size available in the pannier it's only a 1000uF capacitor, and so will only run the chip for about .25 seconds apparently - less than you can really see.

Anyway, very happy with the sound - more business will I'm sure be going to Youchoos from Chuffnell R 🙂

• RMweb Gold

A little more titivation has been done (subtle link to Neal's pre-editing post there).  I found a good ref for the Hornby pannier here, and am also looking at various pics on the interwebs.  So, I've added some fire iron hooks from bent staples (which look rather nice with the Mk 1 Eyeball, but seem a bit chunky under the merciless gaze of the camera), and also some posts (?) at the corners of the bunker, which apparently the canopy could be attached to.

IMG20220515182311.jpg.074664844eb7677a55fbd13de0d9a5b6.jpg

• Like 7