Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I must admit that I'm becoming quite a fan of the stuff.  Looks good when sanded and painted, and is nicely textured and non-uniform.  I may have to buy a small, furry rodent to justify buying more!

It's a pity you're so far away, I've got about a hundred weight of the stuff. I've used it for soaking up spilled engine oil down in the Profanium .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I see that pesky Ju-87 is still in residence :)

In deference to both the environment and the price of fuel, it's only being used for necessary journeys. 

Besides, I've not seen any buses around here lately.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In deference to both the environment and the price of fuel, it's only being used for necessary journeys. 

Apparently it's far more economical in a dive, but the crew have been having trouble finding a sloping sky...

• RMweb Gold

Here is the goods yard with some paint.  If you get closer there are a few small spots where the polyfilla still shows through.  I also think the earth may be a little dark overall, so I'm thinking about giving it another wash of a slightly paler brown?

IMG20220321095120.jpg.dc0ac906758972f2117de1624dc98e77.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Give me 6 months and there may well be a bus on a bridge on Dewchurch 3.  Tell the Ju87 crew not to get too excited though because  - quite frankly I have not got a clue how the scenic boards will look.  I'm hoping for inspiration when I start work on them.  Would a bus going underneath a bridge be a suitable alternative ?   :huh:

• Like 3

I much preferred the independent thinking that was the combine harvester....:D

But a bus underneath a bridge would be quite acceptable. I've seen the odd photo of bus and tram stops underneath bridges, to save on putting up a shelter, or a side road coming up to a junction just beyond a bridge.

That's a good excuse for a stationary bus, as is having to take the center of the road to get under an arch.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Here is the goods yard with some paint.  If you get closer there are a few small spots where the polyfilla still shows through.  I also think the earth may be a little dark overall, so I'm thinking about giving it another wash of a slightly paler brown?

IMG20220321095120.jpg.3e0166a1a1ddcbb05394ab9ad19699f4.jpg

That's exactly what I need to do. It's all a little too grey in my case. Lighter colours seem to help with the illusion of seeing the real thing from a distance rather than looking at a tiny model.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's exactly what I need to do. It's all a little too grey in my case. Lighter colours seem to help with the illusion of seeing the real thing from a distance rather than looking at a tiny model.

I'm pretty sure that I've read about scale colour - in that the colours on a model should be a few shades lighter than the "true" colour, or they will look too dark.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm pretty sure that I've read about scale colour - in that the colours on a model should be a few shades lighter than the "true" colour, or they will look too dark.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Aaaaand...

We're back!

Have rather missed this place, I must say.  Here's a little bit of what I've been up to at Chuffnell R during the break.

I added a Modelu workbench inside the engine shed, and also a couple of figures.  The chap with the shovel looks like he's on the receiving end of an almighty b***ocking!

IMG20220325215531.jpg.e64d396375b67ad3918ee882ac17a7b7.jpg

IMG20220325215328.jpg.fb13a3bab28665581197245c5dd08dbe.jpg

I've since given his head another dab of flesh-coloured paint, but have to say that painting figures is far from my strong point.  More practice required!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

And lastly for now, the main project I've been working on - the signal box.  This is from an Intentio kit; the interior is mostly from Ratio, with a Modelu stove.

IMG20220330162529.jpg.bcb228ff7fb77a7d159d79eb4a53009a.jpg

IMG20220329200702.jpg.b9c1612f83920dc62bf19e2870f809a9.jpg

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Aaaaand...

We're back!

Have rather missed this place, I must say.  Here's a little bit of what I've been up to at Chuffnell R during the break.

I added a Modelu workbench inside the engine shed, and also a couple of figures.  The chap with the shovel looks like he's on the receiving end of an almighty b***ocking!

IMG20220325215531.jpg.e64d396375b67ad3918ee882ac17a7b7.jpg

IMG20220325215328.jpg.fb13a3bab28665581197245c5dd08dbe.jpg

I've since given his head another dab of flesh-coloured paint, but have to say that painting figures is far from my strong point.  More practice required!

Fantastic work as ever Graham, good to see the latest pictures.

May I suggest that when painting clothing it is good to dry-brush over in a lighter shade to highlight creases etc. It would take your already superb figures to the next level.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

Fantastic work as ever Graham, good to see the latest pictures.

May I suggest that when painting clothing it is good to dry-brush over in a lighter shade to highlight creases etc. It would take your already superb figures to the next level.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'll give the dry-brushing a try on my next victim, the signalman.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Great job you've been doing during the "blackout", the signalbox interior looks very familiar and as I recall, quite a challenge to cram it all in!

You're absolutely right, Mr Lupus.  A 1:76 shoehorn was required!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Damn - that puts my interior to shame really...  I think the Intentio box may be a tad smaller as well actually.  Did you scratch build yours Rob, I don't remember?

I have to disagree there, I think that your signalbox interior looks great. 

All that's in mine is a mixture of Ratio and whitemetal bits from dart castings. The signalman was originally an Airfix platelayer wielding a pinch bar.

The signal box is scratch built ish. It started off as a Wills' wooden box and was cut down from a five window frontage to three. It's a scale 14 foot or thereabouts. I used the walls, floor and stairs from the kit.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the Aston box.  I've built the intentio one pretty much out of the box, just put in a cutaway for the point rodding.  It's another very nice little kit, I must say.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chuffnell Regis signal box now has a roof.  Still a few bits and pieces to do of course, but I'm reasonably satisfied with it so far.  It's either a small signal box or a big platelayer's hut, not sure which!

I also need to get a name board for it.  @Harlequin - Phil, am I right in thinking that you make these?

IMG20220401143403.jpg.d69397ea5a96d8fa50ca04b80bb8d9b6.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Chuffnell Regis signal box now has a roof.  Still a few bits and pieces to do of course, but I'm reasonably satisfied with it so far.  It's either a small signal box or a big platelayer's hut, not sure which!

I also need to get a name board for it.  @Harlequin - Phil, am I right in thinking that you make these?

IMG20220401143403.jpg.d69397ea5a96d8fa50ca04b80bb8d9b6.jpg

I do indeed! Please see the link in my signature.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I am quite possibly being a dullard - it happens a lot - but I can't see a signature...  Is there a setting I need to enable somewhere?

So do you see this at the bottom of my posts?

sig.png.51ffaad0a0774d1f515021c199bb7f59.png

Harlequin's track plans

GWR Signal Box Nameplates from The Pattern Shop  (4mm and 7mm)

You might not because I know that RMWeb lets you ignore signatures individually but I'm not sure if there's a global setting.

Anyhow, the link you want is here:  The Pattern Shop

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil.  I'm not seeing signatures anywhere at all, so will have a tinker with my settings (and hopefully not break anything).  I'll also pay a visit to The Pattern Shop - thanks for the link.

• Like 1