Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Looking good.

Bit disappointed you've added a roof to the water tank. I was looking forward to seeing you model a 15ft depth of water with a cameo duck swimming in it! :D

I remember a US layout at a show a few years ago, which had one of the tall wooden water towers with a young woman bathing in it...

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Looking good.

Bit disappointed you've added a roof to the water tank. I was looking forward to seeing you model a 15ft depth of water with a cameo duck swimming in it! :D

I already have some cameo swans, thank you!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I remember a US layout at a show a few years ago, which had one of the tall wooden water towers with a young woman bathing in it...

A new task for Modelu perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

I think that's close to being completed now, for the building work anyway.  I should probably add a gutter for the pitched roof, and there will be a ladder to the top of the tank, but I won't add that until it's on the layout - it will almost certainly get broken off otherwise!

Are there other bits of detail that should be added to the top of the tank?  I have no idea whatsoever!

IMG20220317161422.jpg.aa54f64037cb1166eafaa2187ef68f4e.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

It's a flat roof. Where does the rainwater go when it rains? Drainage hole in the roof would be obvious answer, I suppose and get a bit of a free top-up.

Yes, fair point.  Any ideas what that might actually look like though?  A simple hole sounds a bit too, well - simple!  Maybe a small grating?  But if so, whereabouts...

These things are never simple!

• Like 1

I had a look before I posted, but I wasn't able to find any aerial photos of water towers. I can't think that the water was allowed to just flow down the walls. That wouldn't do the brickwork any good.

There's an RM discussion:

and more thorough searching has turned up this, which does have pictures (use the arrows on the image to move through the whole gallery - there's more than one picture)

https://polyroof.co.uk/settle-station-water-tower/

Of course, if you went with the open roof (and the duck, of course) the problem goes away! Just saying... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, I also found it very difficult to get any info about the tops of water towers.  Not surprising really!  I think maybe a small grated opening in one corner might do the trick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I think that's close to being completed now, for the building work anyway.  I should probably add a gutter for the pitched roof, and there will be a ladder to the top of the tank, but I won't add that until it's on the layout - it will almost certainly get broken off otherwise!

Are there other bits of detail that should be added to the top of the tank?  I have no idea whatsoever!

IMG20220317161422.jpg.b7361a896396b775334376b69aadb423.jpg

Blimey that has come on quick Graham. It looks great.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

IMG20220317161422.jpg.b7361a896396b775334376b69aadb423.jpg

Blimey that has come on quick Graham. It looks great.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal - both times :jester:

This double posting is a pain in the neck, isn't it?

Blimey twice - well it was worth it!

But of course the speed issues do seem to be getting better....

• RMweb Gold

Determining the top treatment of the water tank is an interesting one, not made easy by a general lack of reference photos. The few I’ve seen had no tops, possibly out of practicality, as it collects rainwater. Rather than make up something that probably never existed (the GWR was very particular that things were done only the GWR way), I’d leave it as it is for now and wait until you find a definitive answer.

Someone like the Great Western Study Group may probably have an idea of how they were finished and as sure as eggs are eggs, there would of course have been drawings in the Swindon drawing office, such as the one below found as a free download, so others will exist.

316799793_GWR-WATERTANK-17THAUGUST1876-LOWRES.jpg.c4abe18e216b6552a8ea851417e9f347.jpg

I'm looking forward to the answer!

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi again Graham,

This is interesting. Take a closer look at the plan of the coal stage on the 1876 drawing above. You’ll need to download and enlarge it. Between the coal stage and water tank, right in between the tracks is an ash pit, just like Chuffnell Regis.

Yes, there is a prototype for everything!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yes indeed - and it's on a curve too!  So I didn't have to keep mine straight.  Oh well!

There would need to be a very good reason not to keep it straight, as it complicates the standard design, with increased costs and decreased practicality, so one could surmise that the GWR were proponents of the KISS principle.

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The offending article has now been painted and planted.  I also made a start on the greenery around the shed and on this side of the river bank.  Fun to play with the static grass again :)

I think I might touch up some of the weathering on the tank with a dab of thinners here and there.  And of course the groundwork, grass, and weeds around it all need some fettling and firtling.  I'll add the ladder once all that has been done.  It's far from perfect, and I'm sure there's all sorts of things wrong that I haven't even thought about, but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

IMG20220318221214.jpg.c36d2a9ed2eb25584d407a915787550f.jpg

IMG20220318221239.jpg.66b4877a847db6118315c85e53994d83.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.  I'd like to consult the RM brains trust, if I may.  How much greenery should be added to this area?  I'm just thinking that it would look more realistic with some patchy, scraggly grass and a few weeds, but not sure how much and where.  I think there would be well trodden walking routes along the front of the shed, from the office door along to the main door area, and also between the shed and the water tank.  Probably less so elsewhere?  Crews walking around the turntable would be on the brick paving, so there could be patches of grass growing right up to t***table, couldn't there?

Hoping that some of the landscaping gurus might chip in - @NHY 581?

IMG20220319102840.jpg.24fa8f0a2fbd36919bea401929b97330.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

I do believe that Rob is having a motorcycle related biblical experience at the moment:

"The hills echoed to the roar of Moses Triumph..."

Of course, that long ago, motorcycles had no rear suspension, which may be the real reason why the stone tablets were smashed to bits by the time he got back down the mountain...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Seriously though, it is going to depend on the era modelled and how well used the station is as to how much in the way of unkempt weeds is present. 

The railway companies were a bit more generous with the weedkiller in prewar days.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"The hills echoed to the roar of Moses Triumph..."

Don’t think that the right quote.

”The roar of Moses Triumph was heard throughout the land.” was the quote I was given.

Which isn’t right either!

Paul.

• Funny 1