Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

The turn***** looks really good. 

You realise that having triumphed over the dreaded round thing, you can achieve anything and no longer have any excuse for doubting your ability?

Bash on...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Graham T said:

I'm also going to add a post for the chain to be hooked to, I think.

All looking really great @Graham T.

Ref post: If I remember correctly I'm sure @chuffinghell has previously ploughed that furrow on Warren.

Looking forward to seeing more developments.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent work Graham, just needs some crew ready for the next shift….

The T*******e looks really good.

Thanks Neal, I have a few bits and pieces to detail the area with, but do need some figures, as you say.  Another order going in to Modelu I expect.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The turn***** looks really good. 

You realise that having triumphed over the dreaded round thing, you can achieve anything and no longer have any excuse for doubting your ability?

Bash on...

Very kind, Mr W - but perhaps not 100% true with regard to ability.  I'd direct you to my track laying...

It's still bothering me that the trackwork just isn't good enough.  But to put it right now is a pretty mammoth task; to get it done properly I think I would have to start again from scratch - new baseboards and all.  That's tempting from the point of view of being able to build things properly, and I do think I have the ability to do that now, having learnt a lot over the last year.  However - the more of CR Mk 1 that gets done, the less I want to rip it up and start again.  Also, the cost would be a bit eye-watering, as I'd want to use baseboard kits, and new track throughout.  On the latter I'm not sure whether I would go with Peco bullhead, now that their points seem to be coming back onto the market, or for the excellent looking British Finescale items from @Wayne Kinney.

Ramble over - for now!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

All looking really great @Graham T.

Ref post: If I remember correctly I'm sure @chuffinghell has previously ploughed that furrow on Warren.

Looking forward to seeing more developments.

Thanks very much.  The post will just be something very simple as per the images here:  http://www.gwr.org.uk/water-cranes.html

Edited by Graham T
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few items that I'll be sprinkling around the engine shed and t***table area.  I've also got a lamp hut that I'm planning to use as a store somewhere near the shed, although I'm not sure exactly where yet.  I need to get a few figures as well.

IMG20220311111220.jpg.ea65be3842980bf7e35da9f954da82e9.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Very kind, Mr W - but perhaps not 100% true with regard to ability.  I'd direct you to my track laying...

It's still bothering me that the trackwork just isn't good enough.  But to put it right now is a pretty mammoth task; to get it done properly I think I would have to start again from scratch - new baseboards and all.  That's tempting from the point of view of being able to build things properly, and I do think I have the ability to do that now, having learnt a lot over the last year.  However - the more of CR Mk 1 that gets done, the less I want to rip it up and start again.  Also, the cost would be a bit eye-watering, as I'd want to use baseboard kits, and new track throughout.  On the latter I'm not sure whether I would go with Peco bullhead, now that their points seem to be coming back onto the market, or for the excellent looking British Finescale items from @Wayne Kinney.

Ramble over - for now!

I too think from time to time about replacing the track and boards and starting again for Henley…. But as you say the cost would be prohibitive, so it’s not going to happen!

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I just realised this is page number 100.  Blimey...

Congratulations on your 100th page Graham… you’ve beaten Henley by a page or two…. I’m still languishing on 98 .

Well done, Chuffnel Regis has really come on during the last 100; here’s to the next 100.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2022 at 15:41, Barclay said:

Very timely - tomorrow is the anniversary of the first post.

Yes, indeed it is.  Things have come quite a long way in that year.  I've learnt a huge amount, most of it from various people on this forum who have been very generous with their time, advice, and encouragement - thanks to you all :)

Here's a couple of pics from today's efforts.

IMG20220311231157.jpg.b671e8e31a3c5c10f8ac4082c3fceeae.jpg

IMG20220311231454.jpg.93f22a661b15ebe9e70da7d995189421.jpg

The first go at weathering the t***table is a bit too much I think, so I'll tone it back down tomorrow.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Yes, indeed it is.  Things have come quite a long way in that year.  I've learnt a huge amount, most of it from various people on this forum who have been very generous with their time, advice, and encouragement - thanks to you all :)

Here's a couple of pics from today's efforts.

IMG20220311231454.jpg.12760dc1e4299f8519b7436621c2efca.jpg

IMG20220311231157.jpg.c76af43c630d0cacb62d6118f3fb8e95.jpg

The first go at weathering the t***table is a bit too much I think, so I'll tone it back down tomorrow.

I too like the Earl class loco…. But for the 30’s at Henley I could not justify another one which is a shame…. Of course I also have a City, which is completely out of place / time frame. I’m still hoping that Bachmann might do a curved frame Duke, again a bit out of the time frame for the 30’s.

Re: Weathering….. I agree, it’s probably a bit too much…. But it’s also a hard one to call… typically the photos we see of such things are taken in the 1950’s at the earliest, when after years of minimal staffing following WW2 things like this didn’t get as much attention….

But then we come across some photographic gems, such as the images In GWRJ, which I would suggest are a mix of 30’s and 50’s. The former of course show locos and structures maintained very well and generally very clean. It’s rare to see a dirty loco in the pages of GWRJ in the 30’s - I’m sure it happened, but to my mind it’s the exception rather than the rule.

Of course though, it might have been a while since the painters arrived at Chuffnel Regis, or maybe they are due next week….. 

Either way, it’s a lovely scene you have created.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You're right Neal, it did look too much.  So I've just spent an hour or so going over - very carefully - with thinners, to give a streaky effect, and then added a little more light stone in the centre of the panels afterwards.  I think it looks better now; a bit grimy and careworn, but not neglected, if that makes sense...

IMG20220312152241.jpg.bc67e5d945bf570932055bf2eb80368c.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes much better Graham. I also see you have "fixed the ground" under the end of the engine shed.... I had visions of the local 48xx going out the back of the shed and down the bank late one night!

Have a good weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed, the GWR didn't have any amphibious locos as far as I know!  Waiting for the polyfilla skim to set now, so that I can get on with the groundwork in front of the engine shed.  I still need to figure out what to put there, any suggestions?

Wishing you a good weekend as well :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Graham T said:

.....  I still need to figure out what to put there, any suggestions?

Wishing you a good weekend as well :)

A couple of things come to mind Graham.

Firstly I might be inclined to change the doors for a pair painted light and dark stone... (Mine are still not up, so I will take any brickbats there!)

Then perhaps a couple of crew loitering.

A set of brake blocks, taken off the last loco to be on shed, or assorted items left around.... barrow; oil can etc.

But probably not too much.

Just inside the shed doors, I would be inclined to put the crew roster board - I have a couple to go up from Sankey Scenics. I have this set to put up and I see it also has the "Stop dead" notice for turntables. https://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/oo-4mm-grouping-railways?lightbox=dataItem-kxc7iqok 

At Henley-on-Thames there was a lamp on the road running to the TT, you don't really have the space, but one could go half-way between the shed and coaling platform..... Or of course it could go on this side of the TT tracks.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All very nice ideas Neal, thanks.  I've got a stack of brake blocks, a barrow, some oil cans and an oil drum on a stand.  Also a rather nice little etched brass pushbike.  A couple of figures are on the way from Modelu.

That set of signs you linked to looks very nice.  I've already got some similar ones, and have put one inside the shed; it's not a roster, but from looking in through the shed doors I don't think you'll be able to tell!

Thanks for the suggestion about the lamp as well, I need to get some of those.  Speaking of which, I have a lamp hut that I'm planning to put somewhere in that space between the shed and the front of the baseboard, not quite sure where yet though.  That's the area I really need to figure out what to do with.  It doesn't need much in it, I don't think, but I do need to decide what the ground cover and so on will be.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ok, seeing as Chuffnell Regis had its first birthday yesterday, a little retrospective.  Here's where it started, this is from page 1!

1956290383_Plan1.jpg.ca16d3802b6ebae975de318facabd8e5.jpg

Which showed a breathtaking level of cluelessness, I think you'll agree.  And here's where we had got to this morning.  Cluelessness has not yet been banished, unfortunately.  Although progress has been pretty reasonable, I should have taken a lot more time (and done a lot more research) before I charged into building the baseboards and laying the track.  C'est la vie!

IMG20220313124901.jpg.8e2be95739d824807ca052652838c3eb.jpg

IMG20220313125015.jpg.83aa77414652bface18ff9d3f1f95fc6.jpg

IMG20220313125214.jpg.57807f741f2b5a0477fa5a6ed6d01bda.jpg

I think tidying up all the rat's nest of wiring under the layout should probably be the first task for this afternoon - ugh...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3