Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

There's been a promise elsewhere that @chuffinghell's next layout will be the Graham Branch.

I can only commend that.  I'd reckon that it'd be done to a (Graham) T, and would be a real (Graham) Cracker.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for the rather long bout of radio silence from Chuffnell Regis Towers...  Trying to sort out new house/garden etc etc has been absorbing most of my time lately.

In an attempt to rekindle the mojo I need to find my box of modelling tools, which is amongst the large heap of assorted boxes in the garage, the "must sort that lot out but can't be ***ed just now" pile.  And that got me thinking that I need a better solution for storing said tools than just throwing them all randomly onto my worktable.  So - can anyone give me some good recommendations for worktable storage?  Preferably something with lots of compartments of various capacity, that is the Goldilocks size - big enough to store oodles of bits and bobs, but not so huge that I don't have any space left to work in!  Oh, and ideally not something gold-plated that will break the bank.

Don't ask for much do I?  Answers on the back of a used fiver please 🙂

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Chris @chuffinghell, I'd imagine your workspace is mega-organised.  What do you use?

All my modelling tools are in a drawer under my work space (modified Ikea computer desk), I had a custom made laser cut tray made to fit in the drawer

IMG_0376.jpeg.771e7c2610fdd2d23382b49c2465d2ec.jpeg

My workspace is in the process of being tidied so a bit embarrassed to take photo yet

My paints, fillers and adhesives are also in laser cut storage units within easy reach

IMG_0377.jpeg.f4234395117ac7c4eaac18a803cd3947.jpeg

I’m slightly concerned that I’m being watched though because I’m currently in to middle or re-organising my ‘bits n bobs’

IMG_0375.jpeg.5a936a71e495306801ae4f5dafff0ae6.jpeg

Which I’ve decided to put in the drawer under my ‘print station’ as I like to call it

IMG_0215.jpeg.b8346e48318cd5f28c6113ab58c30f1a.jpeg

I really must find a better place for my trainers 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

All my modelling tools are in a drawer under my work space (modified Ikea computer desk), I had a custom made laser cut tray made to fit in the drawer

My workspace is in the process of being tidied so a bit embarrassed to take photo yet

My paints, fillers and adhesives are also in laser cut storage units within easy reach

I’m slightly concerned that I’m being watched though because I’m currently in to middle or re-organising my ‘bits n bobs’

Which I’ve decided to put in the drawer under my ‘print station’ as I like to call it

19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Oh and all the big stuff is here

IMG_0379.jpeg.498aa0eb3e89450f6ff1fbc4c11e9e41.jpeg

Something else to sort out because there’s probably stuff in those boxes I’ve forgotten about 

Thanks for all the detail Chris - really helpful.  Do you remember where you got the Vallejo rack from, and also the multi-compartment transparent plastic boxes?  Those look like just the sort of thing that I'm looking for.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks Andy, but I have my modelling area set up in the extension at the back of the living room, so I think that cabinet might look just a touch too industrial for the decor!

• Friendly/supportive 2

FWIW I've found Eurobox-based options ideal through the move for that kind of intermediate level 'I need to organise but I'm not ready/willing/able to go for the final stow'. 

Standard footprints of various depths with all manner of inserts and extras available allows one to collect like things in one place and then easily transfer to more permanent storage as possible. This frees up the boxes for ready for the next attack as and when the opportunity presents itself :)

• Like 2

I use an old GW “knee tray” paint station in MDF, which is pretty useless tbh, but it does have a useful dead space under the paint tin shelf, where part-built wagon kits can lurk out of the way, while I’m working on detailing a current one.

I keep meaning to sort out a more organised workspace that fills the same footprint, but never get around to it!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered a few bits and pieces, but I don't really think there's ever much hope of me actually getting organised - I'm setting the bar at "slightly less disorganised"...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 07/07/2024 at 22:10, Graham T said:

Thanks Andy, but I have my modelling area set up in the extension at the back of the living room, so I think that cabinet might look just a touch too industrial for the decor!

Couldn't you disguise it by painting it the same shade as your wallpaper. Then no one would notice it and you'd just have to remember where it was.

• Funny 6

On 07/07/2024 at 14:40, chuffinghell said:

That's terrifyingly tidy.

Are the bodies under the floor?😜

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's terrifyingly tidy.

Are the bodies under the floor?😜

It doesn’t stay like that for long

don’t be silly……they are outside under the patio 🤪

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

14 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It doesn’t stay like that for long

don’t be silly……they are outside under the patio 🤪

Don't take this the wrong way but that's the first place the rozzers look.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't take this the wrong way but that's the first place the rozzers look.

Not quite! the first place the rozzers looked was in the cellar! that's how the rozzers ended up under the patio

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham and welcome back to thinking of getting started again.

I decided to get my modelling tools reasonably well organised when I enrolled myself into a weekend residential loco building course and had to pack all necessary tools into an easily transportable and easy to use container. My solution came by visiting my local supermarket and bought a very sturdy plastic 5 drawer storage chest about 400 wide, 500 deep and 600mm tall. I sorted tools more or less by their use into the drawers and wrapped a couple of bungy straps round it and strapped it into the back of the car. It did so well on the course, that it now sits beside my work table all the time. The cost was a tad over 30€ and I'm sure you can source something similar locally.

Let me know if you need a photo and I'll post one after I get back from an imminent appointment.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1