Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Anything else I should do?

I'd say not, at least for now. Excellent job so far, but it's easy to get carried away with these things and then think:

"Hmm...  I've overdone that a bit."

(I speak from experience!)

Maybe, once the four things you list above are added, just enjoy running her around CR for a bit, and then come back in a couple of weeks? What does need taking a bit further, and what's already to a high standard (as your weathering always is) and can be left alone, will probably be a lot clearer then.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Anything else I should do?  

Nope. Leave for a week or so, then decide using a fresh pair of eyes.  

We don't want the Cock Up Fairy paying a visit. 

Rob. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I left my Bodmin Moor diorama for nine months! 😀

...but pleased to say I've come back with a huge amount of energy and have all the moves planned ahead. Can now see the finishing line zooming towards me.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

I'd say not, at least for now. Excellent job so far, but it's easy to get carried away with these things and then think:

"Hmm...  I've overdone that a bit."

(I speak from experience!)

Maybe, once the four things you list above are added, just enjoy running her around CR for a bit, and then come back in a couple of weeks? What does need taking a bit further, and what's already to a high standard (as your weathering always is) and can be left alone, will probably be a lot clearer then.

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Nope. Leave for a week or so, then decide using a fresh pair of eyes.  

We don't want the Cock Up Fairy paying a visit. 

Rob. 

Thanks for the input gents, always much valued.  I'll do those few little bits as mentioned, and then leave it alone for a while.  Perhaps weather some other poor unsuspecting loco...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that one of you kind people might be able to help me out with some advice, or at least an educated guess!

One thing still missing from Chuffnell R is platform lamps.  I've just got some through the post from DCC Concepts, and also have some from Layouts4u, as well as some cast ones.

Here's one of the DCC Concepts ones on the platform.  I know that GWR lamps varied in height of the columns, but to my eye this one just looks way too tall.

IMG_3445.jpeg.6186fb6fc836e553b4271ff79af7c2f9.jpeg

Here are all the three kinds lined up together, with a figure to give some idea of scale.  From left to right:  DCC Concepts - Dart Castings - Layouts4u*

IMG_3447.jpeg.930f9438e04732c8f422faf9d5a4cc73.jpeg

As mentioned above, the full DCC Concepts lamp just looks too big.  And the Layouts4u ones are a similar height.  Whilst the Dart lamps just look a bit too, well, puny really!  However, the bases of both makes of LED lamps can be removed, which brings the height of the columns down to about 11 feet, which seems a bit more reasonable.

So, the $64,000 question:  which ones do you think I should use?

*  Less than half the price of the DCC Concepts ones...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, 

The DCC Concepts jobs are way too tall. We have them in the shop and they're just not right.  Probably more suited to 7mm than 4. 

The best are the Dart Castings but of course they aren't illuminable. 

Sadly, the remaining one seems to be as per the DCC Concepts. 

I've not helped. 

Rob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm hoping that one of you kind people might be able to help me out with some advice, or at least an educated guess!

One thing still missing from Chuffnell R is platform lamps.  I've just got some through the post from DCC Concepts, and also have some from Layouts4u, as well as some cast ones.

Here's one of the DCC Concepts ones on the platform.  I know that GWR lamps varied in height of the columns, but to my eye this one just looks way too tall.

IMG_3445.jpeg.6186fb6fc836e553b4271ff79af7c2f9.jpeg

Here are all the three kinds lined up together, with a figure to give some idea of scale.  From left to right:  DCC Concepts - Dart Castings - Layouts4u*

IMG_3447.jpeg.930f9438e04732c8f422faf9d5a4cc73.jpeg

As mentioned above, the full DCC Concepts lamp just looks too big.  And the Layouts4u ones are a similar height.  Whilst the Dart lamps just look a bit too, well, puny really!  However, the bases of both makes of LED lamps can be removed, which brings the height of the columns down to about 11 feet, which seems a bit more reasonable.

So, the $64,000 question:  which ones do you think I should use?

*  Less than half the price of the DCC Concepts ones...

Mine are the Gaugemaster versions of your DCC Concepts lamp - I used them without any base and to my eye look about the right height. Those taller bases will be for yards, but even then I reckon they are too tall.

I will do a photo for you in the morning.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Mine are the Gaugemaster versions of your DCC Concepts lamp - I used them without any base and to my eye look about the right height. Those taller bases will be for yards, but even then I reckon they are too tall.

Mine are the earlier/original version with incandescent bulbs (I didn’t know LED versions were available)

I also cut down the bases for on the platform and left one longer for the engine shed area

I stripped mine completely and repainted them….

IMG_9609.jpeg.191c6c9524eba28396f367f3252741e1.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg.64dfcb1a50adbe6c872849a81c03fde1.jpeg

….yes I know, the platform needs cleaning 😳

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There are various drawings of lamp columns and lanterns in Vaughan's "Great Western Architecture".

The 1936 GWR drawing shows, from ground level:

• Standard No.1 cast iron = 6' 1 1/2" up to the bottom of the lantern
  • Standard No.2 cast iron = 8' 1 1/2" ditto
  • Standard No.3 cast iron = 13' 3 1/2" ditto

There are a set of concrete posts with similar heights. Yard lamp posts are much taller.

A BR drawing shows GWR platform lamp columns with very similar heights to GWR Standard No.1.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

Lights don't seem to be to scale, for some reason. Maybe they're actually made by the same people who make all the ballast.

I bought some of these https://www.layouts4u.net/oo-scale-lighting/oo-scale-building-lights/item-code-lhm708-building-lights which are ostensibly OO scale, but are also way too big - the shades are over 2ft wide! I've kept them due to an ongoing medical condition*, though.

How about some N scale ones? These https://www.layouts4u.net/n-scale-lighting/n-scale-lampposts-and-yard-lights/hd4-pack-of-3 are 4cm high, so 10' scale height - pretty close to the No 2 mentioned by @Harlequin once you allow for the lamp itself being included in that height.

* It's called "O scale itch". Apparently the only known cure is to buy some large rolling stock, but there are rumours that in fact that doesn't help, and only makes the itch worse, which in turn leads to more large rolling stock being purchased.

Edited by BroadLeaves
Completely failed at basic spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Graham, 

The DCC Concepts jobs are way too tall. We have them in the shop and they're just not right.  Probably more suited to 7mm than 4. 

The best are the Dart Castings but of course they aren't illuminable. 

Sadly, the remaining one seems to be as per the DCC Concepts. 

I've not helped. 

Rob

Thanks Rob.  You have indeed helped - it's always really good to get other people's perspectives on these things, I find.  I can feel an order to Dart Castings coming on...

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Neal.  Please don't trouble yourself about a photo though, I've already been back through the Henley thread to take a look at your lamps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Harlequin said:

There are various drawings of lamp columns and lanterns in Vaughan's "Great Western Architecture".

The 1936 GWR drawing shows, from ground level:

• Standard No.1 cast iron = 6' 1 1/2" up to the bottom of the lantern
  • Standard No.2 cast iron = 8' 1 1/2" ditto
  • Standard No.3 cast iron = 13' 3 1/2" ditto

There are a set of concrete posts with similar heights. Yard lamp posts are much taller.

A BR drawing shows GWR platform lamp columns with very similar heights to GWR Standard No.1.

Thanks for that Phil.  If I remove their bases the DCC Concepts and Layouts4u lamps scale out at about 10 feet (to the base of the actual lamp fitting), which sounds like it might be ok...

I also had a look at the drawings and so on in this book, but the measurements are rather hard to read.  Then the photo on the front cover jumped out at me!  Although I guess that's a yard lamp rather than a platform one...

Document_2023-11-04_114727.jpeg.d1601dca5b33386637c777fb396cf817.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

How about some N scale ones? These https://www.layouts4u.net/n-scale-lighting/n-scale-lampposts-and-yard-lights/hd4-pack-of-3 are 4cm high, so 10' scale height - pretty close to the No 2 mentioned by @Harlequin once you allow for the lamp itself being included in that height.

Interesting idea, thanks!

• RMweb Gold

The other point to ponder is just where to put the lamps, never mind which ones.  I guess there probably wasn't any such thing as a standard spacing, so I'm wondering if it would look about right with three evenly spaced along the platform between the running in board and the lamp hut?  Or perhaps only two?

If I used the approximately 10 foot tall lamps there, perhaps I could use the two Dart Castings lamps at either end of the station building?  Any thoughts?

IMG_3449.jpeg.a610729b277c903dfc7276e1986682ce.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks for that Phil.  If I remove their bases the DCC Concepts and Layouts4u lamps scale out at about 10 feet (to the base of the actual lamp fitting), which sounds like it might be ok...

I also had a look at the drawings and so on in this book, but the measurements are rather hard to read.  Then the photo on the front cover jumped out at me!  Although I guess that's a yard lamp rather than a platform one...

Document_2023-11-04_114727.jpeg.d1601dca5b33386637c777fb396cf817.jpeg

The drawings are mostly the same as the ones reproduced in the Vaughan book but not so legible, even though they are larger...! Very useful set of photos, though.

Could you get an idea for spacing and height from photos of the station that inspired Chuffnell R? Or aerial photos? Lamps are often marked on station plans in the Clark "Historical Survey" books.

Combining all that it should be possible to work out spacing and best placement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If it helps, this is how I spaced out the lamps on my layout. They're the Dart Castings version, they paint up quite nicely.

IMG_20230330_183730.jpg.2622554c947d8bce2e0a5d1921b8a4a1.jpg

Thanks Rob.  Having had a look at Lambourn as per @Harlequin's suggestion, I think I'll go with those lamps as well.  From what I could see Lambourn only had two!

• Like 1

Modern station lighting requires a certain lux level at the platform edge, requiring more lamp standards and brighter lighting than historically. I think this is something preserved railways may have issues with, given the requirement to meet current rules, but maintain a historical feel. I suspect taking a preserved railway as an example of lighting spacing may be a bit misleading as they try and balance those conflicting issues.

In contrast, ambling about in the back lane of our old village at night in the 21st century, the light levels indicate where the next lamp standard is, rather than assisting you in navigating to it. I suspect that is the spacing you need to consider, and which seems evident from historical pictures, such as the two lamp station you've mentioned.

Presumably finding your way across the platform to a train at night was assisted by the carriage lighting. And, during the blackout, how many carrots you had eaten recently. . . .

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are the Dart Castings lamps in position.  I think the alternatives would have looked a bit overpowering.  I've ordered another pack of two, which I'll add a bit further along the platform.  There should really be some wall mounted lamps on the station building as well, I think?

IMG_3456.jpeg.e2216be85789eeab58f1a40f6b03c3fe.jpeg

IMG_3452.jpeg.e97d8205dec2cadf308f6f84ff8d3c21.jpeg

• Like 19