Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That looks great @Graham T. Have you decided what the field will be like around it?

Thanks Neal.  I haven't completely decided yet.  I think that rather than a fence, I'm going to use a hedge as the railway boundary; the fence would have to be on a continuous curve and I don't think I'd be able to get the wires as taut as I'd like them to be.  The field itself I can see being fairly unkempt, with a pond in it.  I want to try out some new techniques on it, so I'll be digging deep into Gordon Gravett's "Modelling Grassland".  I've also recently got his book on "Modelling Trees", so expect to see one or two small-ish trees in addition to the mutant oak that I made!  I've also ordered some plaster bandage, as I want to try that out for the groundwork.

So lots of experimentation to come, and no doubt a liberal sprinkling of profanity here and there as well!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2023 at 20:21, Graham T said:

Thanks for that Herr Von W.  Said ridge beam has been added, along with some slats/lats/laths/battens/insert your word of choice.

I won't be adding any more though because (a) they're driving me batsh1t crazy, and (b) I've run out of plastic strip.  With hindsight, I should definitely have added them before assembling the roof!

IMG_1565.jpeg.5ed98c7d973a87402daa42cd552a113d.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg.5672256b91edead902b17b93fce1bde3.jpeg

The laths/battons would run horizontally rather that vertically, one for each row of tiles to be fixed to. Looking great overall!!

Edit: bvgger, I need to keep up with these threads more often, I've now seen you've progressed at pace and painted it all. It does look very splendid.

Edited by 57xx
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

And a bit more painting done, just to keep you on your toes!  The tiles on the front of the barn have now been done, again with white, light brown, burnt red, and just a touch of black.  I kept the paint unevenly mixed on the palette, and then randomly picked out tiles until the brush needed refilling, then picked up more paint from a different part of the palette.  This gave me some slight variations in the colour.  I still have to do the roof at the back, and may add the odd touch of green for some moss.  

Not sure if it needs a wash of mid grey/brown to tone it all down and tie it together, I'll see how it looks in daylight tomorrow.

IMG_1577.jpeg.67c8f407f456070d7088e512b6a16f27.jpeg

Simply excellent Graham.  Great addition to CR, which of course will find a home on CR mark 2.  I'm not sure it needs any more washes - looks brilliant, especially if you have some ivy growing over part of it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That is really looking good now and the red tiles are particularly convincing.

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Very nice and a great addition to the layout.

55 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Simply excellent Graham.  Great addition to CR, which of course will find a home on CR mark 2.  I'm not sure it needs any more washes - looks brilliant, especially if you have some ivy growing over part of it.  

Thank you gents for the kind words, it's always nice to get some comment, but especially ones like this!

I'm looking forward to getting the barn finished, and planted on CR - where it will indeed partially disappear into a thicket of weeds and ivy Clive!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff, Graham. 

An outstanding bit of doing. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Excellent stuff, Graham. 

An outstanding bit of doing. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, it was actually a fun bit of doing as well (most of the time, anyway).  And lots of lessons learned for things to do differently next time.  Which I will probably forget before next time!

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Some more fun messing about with the barn.  The roof is now finished, and I added some more olive green on the woodwork in places.  I've also lightened the "ratty rendering" (TM) a little bit, to give a bit of contrast with the timbers.  And I also dampened some of the brickwork before touching some light grey/brown into the lower mortar courses, although I'm not sure it actually shows...

Just the main doors to do now, unless I've forgotten something?

IMG_1577.jpeg.de640b5ddb02229f18c78941266d2a23.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg.327d2a1425ebbe677261b342500a2538.jpeg

And some cruel close-ups.  Many thanks to Kevin @KNP for his article, amazing how you can make a bit of cardboard look like wood!

IMG_1579.jpeg.9704444685e8681d29a5a9505baba83a.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg.249eb524bfb5d1c86a5da28fab1958f2.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg.6c5f2968a71e10150dc28b3a03f64fdd.jpeg

That really is very, very impressive!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

image.png.ae22dec70d7ee35369d7da7831194fa0.png

That is one for the looks like the real thing thread, amazing work.

Top work that man... it got me looking at barns today while driving from Bristol to Yeovil and home...

Got to post a pic in the realistic modelling section 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to echo everyone else on here Graham - this looks really excellent. I especially like the green taking hold on the timbers. The colours are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it planted and the surrounding undergrowth attacking it!

Jay

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Some more fun messing about with the barn.  The roof is now finished, and I added some more olive green on the woodwork in places.  I've also lightened the "ratty rendering" (TM) a little bit, to give a bit of contrast with the timbers.  And I also dampened some of the brickwork before touching some light grey/brown into the lower mortar courses, although I'm not sure it actually shows...

Just the main doors to do now, unless I've forgotten something?

IMG_1577.jpeg.de640b5ddb02229f18c78941266d2a23.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg.327d2a1425ebbe677261b342500a2538.jpeg

And some cruel close-ups.  Many thanks to Kevin @KNP for his article, amazing how you can make a bit of cardboard look like wood!

IMG_1579.jpeg.9704444685e8681d29a5a9505baba83a.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg.249eb524bfb5d1c86a5da28fab1958f2.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg.6c5f2968a71e10150dc28b3a03f64fdd.jpeg

Fantastic, well done.

21 hours ago, Graham T said:

I have to give the credit for the colours of the woodwork to Kevin @KNP - I slavishly copied his description in the magazine article about his barn at LM 🙂

Graham -the whole model is brilliant, the tiling is even more brilliant.  You have got the colours spot on.  I just keep looking at the photos in wonderment (if there is such a word)

Edited by Gopher