Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

"Oh bu**er" said Joe looking over the cab doors, "Re-railing jacks, required!"

I wondered about that too Jonathan, and just went to have a look next door.  She is actually sitting on the tracks - I think it must be an optical illusion (often caused by a lack of alcohol, but I suppose it's still a touch early for a glass or two of lunch...)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

After opening the photo in a new window and enlarging it I can see it's a shadow that makes the bogie look off the rails. Is the loco going any better?

Since tweaking the pick-ups and fitting a stay-alive she's now running very nicely, thanks.  (Fingers crossed...)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The floor in the loft of the barn is now done, complete with a big hole!  Must remember to add some broken planks on the ground underneath the hole later.  I've also clad one end of the building; and am beginning to wish I hadn't opted for a prototype where the planking was fitted between the structural beams, rather than over them...

IMG_1244.jpeg.d72ce9f30797a066797973c04c5c6e52.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg.95ccb1b98b629eb5ca6d73f9d13c8c1e.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've now painted and added some more of the brickwork.  I can see that I've somehow managed to apparently gain a couple of courses at the end nearest to the camera!  Hopefully I'll be able to hid that with a slipped plank...

IMG_1248.jpeg.28b0691efbd54f126216d7c998f2dafa.jpeg

All the brickwork will need some more work to get some variety into the colours as well.  There will probably be some filler needed here and there as well, but again I'm hoping to hide the worst of the bodgery with some weeds and so on.

IMG_1246.jpeg.2e31edda619cfb5b12c2e995b2f75c11.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking good so far…..

Possibly the hardest part will be piles of bricks in front of the fallen down walls….

Or - how about one end could disappear….. fallen down, which led to the rest of the barn falling into disrepair 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Looking good so far…..

Thanks Neal, it's turning into a bit of a challenge to be honest!

Possibly the hardest part will be piles of bricks in front of the fallen down walls….

Yes I've been wondering about that.  Perhaps a lump of Das or similar as a former, and then some bricks cut from suitably sized plastic strip, with broken up bits of rubble.  Hmm.

Or - how about one end could disappear….. fallen down, which led to the rest of the barn falling into disrepair 

Nice idea but unfortunately I've already stuck in the bricks at both ends!  But I might have some more collapsed brickwork on the back wall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Proportions look good Graham. My only gripe would be putting the cladding between the framework on that end wall. Pretty sure the cladding would go across the width of the building; nailed onto those frames. 

Just read you copied a prototype for that!
Weird. As someone that builds garden studios for folk as a sideline that doesn’t make any sense . 
As they say, there’s a prototype for everything!

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
Additional text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s the one at Aylton I posted a photo of a few pages back.  😂 

I was thinking of the end elevation and didn’t even think about those panels on the sides. Yes it would be a challenge but that’s the fun part right. 

Jay 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

It’s the one at Aylton I posted a photo of a few pages back.  😂 

Ah yes - of course!

1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

I was thinking of the end elevation and didn’t even think about those panels on the sides. Yes it would be a challenge but that’s the fun part right. 

Jay 

The challenges are fun when you manage to overcome them.  Otherwise...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Proportions look good Graham. My only gripe would be putting the cladding between the framework on that end wall. Pretty sure the cladding would go across the width of the building; nailed onto those frames. 

Just read you copied a prototype for that!
Weird. As someone that builds garden studios for folk as a sideline that doesn’t make any sense . 
As they say, there’s a prototype for everything!

Jay

Looks like they were emulating the Tudor look.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

Here's the prototype Jay.  Would be very nice (although also very testing...) to model this actual barn.

4BFFC293-BCF3-4052-9D1A-7D81A1620317.jpeg.bf0d1bbc4da737b1b5d34ca74fe6dd98.jpeg.1a2b87774aa81f466a9d5cdb55c55aa2.jpeg

I bet that would have been a fine looking barn in the 1930’s…. With the pitch, it might have been thatched.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So, the brick sections are now all in place, and looking suitably wiggly.  Which was deliberate, I might add!  Next I'm going to use some of my trusty Mr Surfacer to fill some gaps between the brickwork and the beams.  That will get painted to look like rough mortar, and I'll rework some of the paint on the brickwork at the same time to make it look less regular, and a lot more worn.

IMG_1262.jpeg.74ed6bf5847aa8764128f793a14353ac.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So, the brick sections are now all in place, and looking suitably wiggly.  Which was deliberate, I might add!  Next I'm going to use some of my trusty Mr Surfacer to fill some gaps between the brickwork and the beams.  That will get painted to look like rough mortar, and I'll rework some of the paint on the brickwork at the same time to make it look less regular, and a lot more worn.

IMG_1262.jpeg.74ed6bf5847aa8764128f793a14353ac.jpeg

Graham, Its looking very fine - I notice on your photo of the barn that one or two bits of the brickwork had ratty rendering on them - while you have the filler out maybe that might add some variation?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham, Its looking very fine - I notice on your photo of the barn that one or two bits of the brickwork had ratty rendering on them - while you have the filler out maybe that might add some variation?

Yes Andy, I might give that a try here and there.

• RMweb Gold

A bit of "ratty rendering" has been added using polyfilla smeared on with a coffee stirrer.  I may sand off the biggest lumps after it's dried!  And then paint it a murky grey.  I'm still struggling to get the variety of colours I want into the brickwork, I think I'll have to resort to picking out individual bricks in some different shades...

IMG_1282.jpeg.23524ba6b7c607d3f35d3d3f041176dd.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A bit of "ratty rendering" has been added using polyfilla smeared on with a coffee stirrer.  I may sand off the biggest lumps after it's dried!  And then paint it a murky grey.  I'm still struggling to get the variety of colours I want into the brickwork, I think I'll have to resort to picking out individual bricks in some different shades...

IMG_1282.jpeg.23524ba6b7c607d3f35d3d3f041176dd.jpeg

I found once I started on individual bricks I ended painting them all!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the current state of play with the "ratty rendering", along with a few more equally ratty planks.  Adding those individually is quickly getting to feel as painful as the idea of painting individual bricks...  

The end door of the loft area has been sealed up with some wriggly tin, which will get the rust treatment at some point.  I might put a wooden door at the other end, or the remains of one, I'm not sure yet.

IMG_1287.jpeg.05c03277b1262fcfe5785871ae1f1cf7.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

My daughters are visiting from the US this week, so Chuffnell Regis has taken a back seat, but I have done a little more to the "ratty planking" on the back of the barn.

IMG_1447.jpeg.87eda43e68d196f65c7069871d70dd13.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm waiting for some more "planks" to dry, so have made a start on the roof tiles instead.  I might add some more holes at the right hand end too, what do you think?

IMG_1545.jpeg.a34d128cf57e1441e251af3ed35e19f2.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg.62c2b220924c2f1b805c25fb0c990a68.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6