Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

Tree shaping up nicely, what about adding some sprigs of seamoss with scatter on and then giving a spray of extra hold non scented hairspray over the hole tree.

I do spray my trees every year to freshen them up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Tree shaping up nicely, what about adding some sprigs of seamoss with scatter on and then giving a spray of extra hold non scented hairspray over the hole tree.

I do spray my trees every year to freshen them up.

Thanks Kevin.  I could add some more foliage, but think I'll probably leave it as is for now and switch targets to something else.  Maybe come back to it later...

In fact, the next project may well be to build a derelict barn on the site where the tree will go.  I hope you don't mind, but I'm planning to crib a bit from yours!  I don't suppose you have any photos of it easily to hand?  I found a few on your thread of course, but some still seem to be missing from "The Great Crash" - and theres rather a lot of pages to search through!

• Like 1

That foliage really does look the part in form and colour. What did you end up using?

The tree has been well worth the effort and I'm having to remind myself that I have a loco to finish before I start making trees!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That foliage really does look the part in form and colour. What did you end up using?

The tree has been well worth the effort and I'm having to remind myself that I have a loco to finish before I start making trees!

Thanks Rob.  I used a mix of two different scatters, one is spring green I think, and the other quite a dark (and not very natural looking) green.  I only used a little bit of the second one in the mix, just to give it a bit of variety.  Fixed using hairspray, I kept adding more until I was happy with the look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's one of the (many) things I like about this place - always plenty of helpful suggestions and advice to be had.  Not that I always listen to it, of course...

Speaking of which, I need some more advice and/or opinions please!  I'm starting to plan how the derelict barn will look, and have put together a quick card mock-up.

IMG_1204.jpeg.f12bb270423e28d97afc22637f6f7d5b.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg.911b00ca6d8814c5a18f7adde2f2c844.jpeg

That isn't necessarily exactly where it will end up, but somewhere in that "vast tract of land".  Bod included for scale, but the barn measures 40 x 12 x 12 feet (length x height x width).  My initial thoughts are:

a.  Make it a bit shorter, and then put a lean-to on one end, that was a later addition

b.  Lower the roofline by a couple of feet

c.  Add a couple of feet or so to the width

Any thoughts please?

As for materials, I'm tempted to try something like this...

486582953_Screenshot2023-03-12at16_56_29.png.7bb4574332248ffd0e3177bf0435decc.png

But with wooden doors on the main barn, and a wriggly tin roof on the end extension.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The mock up looks quite large as a plain shell but if you’re going to build it as a timber frame structure as in the photo, with a wooden clad lean to that should look pretty good with the surfaces broken up by varying materials. Also an opportunity to add some interest with term machinery and other details. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The mock up looks quite large as a plain shell but if you’re going to build it as a timber frame structure as in the photo, with a wooden clad lean to that should look pretty good with the surfaces broken up by varying materials. Also an opportunity to add some interest with term machinery and other details. 

Jay

Thanks for the input Jay.  I'm already picturing it with loads of overgrown junk scattered about!  What do you think about changing the dimensions a bit?  Overall footprint would still be roughly the same I imagine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve had a ponder….  I think the question I’d ask is, would you have a large barn sat on its own in a field or would it be part of a collection of buildings? 

Jay

Either. It could be a winter feed store, or a store for seeds and the machinery to plant it if it's an outlying building.

Or you can have a few sheds and a yard going off the edge of the layout

Or a barn on the opposite side of the road to a farmyard.

Or...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

I think I'm going to stop trying to do any more to the tree*.  It did indeed still look glossy this morning, so I've given the trunk and major branches some thinned mid-grey paint.  It looks better, but still has a bit of a shine here and there.

IMG_1191.jpeg.3ba4a8fc3262fb0d3dba231a4132b168.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg.4435d35cc97be6d523dc0fd1236494c4.jpeg

*  Well, probably.  I might try a spray of matt acrylic varnish, but am worried that could b*gger up the leaves.

Excellent result. Very effective.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Kevin.  I could add some more foliage, but think I'll probably leave it as is for now and switch targets to something else.  Maybe come back to it later...

In fact, the next project may well be to build a derelict barn on the site where the tree will go.  I hope you don't mind, but I'm planning to crib a bit from yours!  I don't suppose you have any photos of it easily to hand?  I found a few on your thread of course, but some still seem to be missing from "The Great Crash" - and theres rather a lot of pages to search through!

A lot of good stuff disappeared due to that but I have sent you a PM with info.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

That's one of the (many) things I like about this place - always plenty of helpful suggestions and advice to be had.  Not that I always listen to it, of course...

Speaking of which, I need some more advice and/or opinions please!  I'm starting to plan how the derelict barn will look, and have put together a quick card mock-up.

IMG_1204.jpeg.f12bb270423e28d97afc22637f6f7d5b.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg.911b00ca6d8814c5a18f7adde2f2c844.jpeg

That isn't necessarily exactly where it will end up, but somewhere in that "vast tract of land".  Bod included for scale, but the barn measures 40 x 12 x 12 feet (length x height x width).  My initial thoughts are:

a.  Make it a bit shorter, and then put a lean-to on one end, that was a later addition

b.  Lower the roofline by a couple of feet

c.  Add a couple of feet or so to the width

Any thoughts please?

As for materials, I'm tempted to try something like this...

486582953_Screenshot2023-03-12at16_56_29.png.7bb4574332248ffd0e3177bf0435decc.png

But with wooden doors on the main barn, and a wriggly tin roof on the end extension.

Ask yourself the question do you want it as a scene blocker that you can’t look round, or as part of a scene where you can look through.

Maybe make it smaller, with a selection of other buildings, closer to the Oak and maybe arranged at differing angles to the track…

Then, just how derelict would it have been in the 1930’s?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

There were plenty of derelict farms and buildings around in the thirties, farming had changed, the depression and world war one had brought down many of the country estates as well as some of the bigger farms which had expanded in Victorian times but were now struggling to find workers. There was a lot of rural dereliction which lasted well into the property boom that began in the 1980s

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve had a ponder….  I think the question I’d ask is, would you have a large barn sat on its own in a field or would it be part of a collection of buildings? 

Jay

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Either. It could be a winter feed store, or a store for seeds and the machinery to plant it if it's an outlying building.

Or you can have a few sheds and a yard going off the edge of the layout

Or a barn on the opposite side of the road to a farmyard.

Or...

I'm picturing it in my (warped) mind as part of a larger set-up, that rather conveniently is located somewhere above and beyond my control panel!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

This one’s lovely in Aylton. Look at all that rusty tin!

Jay

4BFFC293-BCF3-4052-9D1A-7D81A1620317.jpeg

Ooh, now that's a beauty!  Expect to see some features of that in my model (albeit a touch smaller).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Graham

Did the PM come through as it has not appeared on my list??

If not let me know and I will send it again.

Thanks very much Kevin, PM and attachment both received.  That article will be really useful!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Ask yourself the question do you want it as a scene blocker that you can’t look round, or as part of a scene where you can look through.

Thanks Neal, I’ll have to play around with the positioning before I fix it in place.  Have to build it first of course!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There were plenty of derelict farms and buildings around in the thirties, farming had changed, the depression and world war one had brought down many of the country estates as well as some of the bigger farms which had expanded in Victorian times but were now struggling to find workers. There was a lot of rural dereliction which lasted well into the property boom that began in the 1980s

And that’s the excuse I’ll be using 🙂

Thanks Rob.

• Like 3