Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Here it is with the static grass applied.  I used 4mm fibres with a puffer bottle and hairspray.  I wasn't bothered about the colour as it will get a spray of light-ish brown acrylic next.

These are supposed to represent twigs, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's a bit too twiggy now!  Perhaps I should thin them out a little ?

Anyway, hopefully it doesn't look quite so terrifying now 🙂

IMG_1153.jpeg.f0ae72a7cd1a66218ad57d5ec943d3c8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Here it is with the static grass applied.  I used 4mm fibres with a puffer bottle and hairspray.  I wasn't bothered about the colour as it will get a spray of light-ish brown acrylic next.

These are supposed to represent twigs, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's a bit too twiggy now!  Perhaps I should thin them out a little ?

Anyway, hopefully it doesn't look quite so terrifying now 🙂

IMG_1153.jpeg.f0ae72a7cd1a66218ad57d5ec943d3c8.jpeg

Have you seen the demo where the tree is connected to the static charge lead and then waved over the hot plate covered in static grass? Maybe that’s what you did?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Looking good, but if anything I might teeze a bit out?

Yes I think you're right.  Unfortunately it's all a bit of a solid mass now, so I think a bit of snippage might be in order!

24 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Have you seen the demo where the tree is connected to the static charge lead and then waved over the hot plate covered in static grass? Maybe that’s what you did?

No I hadnt seen that.  Sounds far too complicated!  I have a micro-applicator from WWS, but have never found it to be that good to be honest, so just blasted each area with hairspray then used a puffer bottle to apply the static grass, before sealing with more hairspray.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I attacked the foliage pads with a pair of nail scissors, and then hoovered (!) the tree to get rid of any scraps, before giving it a shot of Liquitex burnt umber 6 acrylic.  To be honest I think the twigs are still much too dense; a lesson identified for next time.  Less horsehair and less static grass!

Anyway, it's just an experiment 🙂  I'll paint the trunk with some greens and greys tomorrow, and then see how it looks with some scatter applied.  Might still be able to rescue it...

IMG_1155.jpeg.a19ab5f193355afdbdf1d33c17194f67.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg.3abeb4720885c859bddd019d408d1018.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I attacked the foliage pads with a pair of nail scissors, and then hoovered (!) the tree to get rid of any scraps, before giving it a shot of Liquitex burnt umber 6 acrylic.  To be honest I think the twigs are still much too dense; a lesson identified for next time.  Less horsehair and less static grass!

Anyway, it's just an experiment 🙂  I'll paint the trunk with some greens and greys tomorrow, and then see how it looks with some scatter applied.  Might still be able to rescue it...

IMG_1155.jpeg.a19ab5f193355afdbdf1d33c17194f67.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg.3abeb4720885c859bddd019d408d1018.jpeg

I think your trunk is way too good to scrap. I would strip the horsehair and try again. Is there any alternative to horsehair for the twigs?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a good idea.  I think horsehair is probably okay to use, I just didn't thin it out enough.  And then of course that gets compounded when you add the static grass "twigs".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I continued to struggle with the (oak) tree today.  I began by ripping out a lot of the horsehair and static grass with a pair of tweezers.  That got to the point where I was worrying that there weren't enough branches - so probably about right?!

IMG_1161.jpeg.8f3c6319b66dce30440e8dc83665d26f.jpeg

Next up was to sort out the colour of the trunk.  This was done with a mixture of dark grey washes, dry brushing with mid- to light-greys, and then dabbing on some greens here and there in an effort to show moss and so on.  Then another mid-brown and green wash to finish things off.  I think it could perhaps be made a bit lighter still, but maybe I will put some foliage on first to see how the colours look then...

IMG_1162.jpeg.dd344e87cdda01f5dc1f3a3286b5f8fa.jpeg

IMG_1171.jpeg.2003de9126024b1eafcdabfea4176304.jpeg

And here it is plonked roughly where it will live on the layout, with a bod for scale.

IMG_1174.jpeg.9c3081b4022250bbfa2eace1cf3e9071.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, this is where we are now.  Not sure if I like this or not.  I'm hoping that the hairspray doesn't dry glossy on the trunk; unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to spray the branches without it getting all over the tree trunk as well.  If it does stay glossy I'll try another wash or two, that might dull it down with luck...

IMG_1182.jpeg.45231a30d1b98bd2108a48c1dc334cce.jpeg

IMG_1180.jpeg.8e09422346e07e1b9454b6e1cf1074fb.jpeg

IMG_1181.jpeg.3138c338fec7d98db426aedef7ad1dbb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

More trimming as already said. Some of the straggly bits of horsehair look unnatural. 
overall it’s looking decent mate. I don’t think it needs much more in the way of foliage. 
Referencing prototype photos is your friend!

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

As Justin said, lose the few wispy bits and I think that you have it. A thin coat of matt acrylic varnish will take off the unnatural sheen.

This well known oak is deep in GWR territory and looks about as weird as they come.

article-1204312-05F38D55000005DC-825_468x463.jpg.db4ed2af1b298d7f183fdc4046ce0dd4.jpg

04114.jpg.45598314430a7f3d1c123820287bd6e9.jpg

Even in summer, it stands out from the taller and younger trees.behind it.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Damn, that makes even my tree look like an Adonis!

Stragglers have been liquidated, and a murky acrylic wash applied to the trunk and main branches.  Now to wait and see if it's worked...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This weekend's musical accompaniment has so far mostly been provided by the rather wonderful Siouxsie and the Banshees.  Peepshow has been on repeat for a while, and I really can't decide whether my favourite track is "Last beat of my heart", or the frankly amazing "Rhapsody"...

The latter is leading by a neck right now 🙂

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm going to stop trying to do any more to the tree*.  It did indeed still look glossy this morning, so I've given the trunk and major branches some thinned mid-grey paint.  It looks better, but still has a bit of a shine here and there.

IMG_1191.jpeg.3ba4a8fc3262fb0d3dba231a4132b168.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg.4435d35cc97be6d523dc0fd1236494c4.jpeg

*  Well, probably.  I might try a spray of matt acrylic varnish, but am worried that could b*gger up the leaves.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think I'm going to stop trying to do any more to the tree*.  It did indeed still look glossy this morning, so I've given the trunk and major branches some thinned mid-grey paint.  It looks better, but still has a bit of a shine here and there.

IMG_1191.jpeg.3ba4a8fc3262fb0d3dba231a4132b168.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg.4435d35cc97be6d523dc0fd1236494c4.jpeg

*  Well, probably.  I might try a spray of matt acrylic varnish, but am worried that could b*gger up the leaves.

I think that is much improved Graham.  Foliage is spot on in my humble opinion, and the trunk was always excellent.  Nice bit of modelling, well done for persevering.     

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1