Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I bought some heavy duty magnets for my girls a while ago, to teach them about science.  The things are lethal!  (The magnets, I mean...)

Turning your children into fridge decorations may keep them out of trouble, but I suspect that social services would take a dim view.

Or they might get smart and teach you a lesson by sticking themselves to a bus.

Then you will have to explain to their mother why they were brought back from Innsbruck in a police car....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine's finished 🙂  Even managed to catch a window in the weather earlier today and get a squirt of primer onto it.  Will post some pics tomorrow, just putting the final touches to a Cambrian LMS 6 ton fish van at the moment (I've no idea why I bought that, maybe the local river is stuffed full of trout or something...)

Edited by Graham T
The LSWR van is finished, is what I meant!
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, Graham T said:

Roof still needs to be fixed on the NE cattle wagon, once I've painted the inside.  

I think (subject to correction by those who know more) that the insides of cattle wagons were left as bare wood; given the propensity of cattle to lick everything and the ingredients of 1930/40s paint not being that good for them.

One of those times when one has to mix paints to hide the use of paint!

I never manage to do this very well!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

There are some interesting photos of the effect of the lime used to deal with cattle wagons - basically the lower half of the wagons is almost white.

958030797_DY9165DerbyCattleDocks17902Cat

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

The use of lime as a disinfectant of cattle wagons and cattle docks was abandoned sometime between 1924 and 1927. I'm trying to find a reference.

Thanks for those.  I was aware of lime being phased out, so won't be showing any on my wagons.  My timeframe is a bit flexible, but let's say from the 1930s onwards!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The use of lime as a disinfectant of cattle wagons and cattle docks was abandoned sometime between 1924 and 1927. I'm trying to find a reference.

Well, would you like to stand around with your third and fourth toes/fingers in a caustic substance?

(Cattle being even-toed-ungulates)

The Steve Banks link mentioned above is very useful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2023 at 15:50, MrWolf said:

Buffers on plastic kits are a pet hate of mine. I think that the plastic kit companies are in cahoots with the people who make expensive metal buffers and some of those need as much fettling as the plastic ones.

Ratio managed it on some models, Slater's also have nice metal buffer heads, it's not going to cost the earth to upgrade or to offer metal buffers as a sideline - are you listening?

I hate the buffers on certain makes of kit where there's a tiny housing collar to clip off the sprue and glue onto the buffer shank / feed to the carpet monster.

That's why 90% of my kit uses the Lanarkshire Models cast buffers. There are very few I will use the ones included. If it's not that silly little collar being a to cut off the sprue, then the heads are not true (usually due the mould not being aligned properly) or the detail on the buffer housing is poor/totally wrong.

I went to make a start on my O30 kit at Christmas and then realised the buffers guides included are all wrong and not the "short rib RCH" ones as per the illustrations in Atkins et al, so it got parked until my next order goes in the LMS.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2023 at 16:30, Graham T said:

Strangely enough, it's now stopped.  But still not especially pleasant.  I think an evening at home sniffing glue is called for!

On 01/02/2023 at 17:01, MrWolf said:

Careful what you wish for....

https://youtu.be/rf6Yv4lMhhs

Spooky, I didn't even need to click the link to know what tune was behind there. I clicked anyway because I then couldn't resist.

• Funny 1

14 minutes ago, 57xx said:

That's why 90% of my kit uses the Lanarkshire Models cast buffers. There are very few I will use the ones included. If it's not that silly little collar being a to cut off the sprue, then the heads are not true (usually due the mould not being aligned properly) or the detail on the buffer housing is poor/totally wrong.

I went to make a start on my O30 kit at Christmas and then realised the buffers guides included are all wrong and not the "short rib RCH" ones as per the illustrations in Atkins et al, so it got parked until my next order goes in the LMS.

I've not used their cast buffers, no GWR specific ones although I believe they do RCH?

I've dismissed cast buffers in the past except the heavyweights such as on flat wagons because they were a bit lumpy, head too small and shank too hefty because of the weakness of white metal. More recent items are a big improvement, must be using a harder mix that is more like zamak and getting better definition.

I always found the best compromise was the Ratio / Slater's brass buffer, shank and collar all in one that fits a plastic stock, rather like the better fixed RTR loco buffers.

Oddly I'm not all that fussy about unmodified locos, but if I build, upgrade or modify (bodge) a loco, it gets fancy sprung buffers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Spooky, I didn't even need to click the link to know what tune was behind there. I clicked anyway because I then couldn't resist.

I remember glue sniffers, what class acts they were.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've not used their cast buffers, no GWR specific ones although I believe they do RCH?

On the contrary, they do a lot of GWR style buffers. Long, short, self contained, large/small heads, early, late. The detail is extremely crisp, the only clean up I do is putting them in a mini drill and polishing the buffer face on some high grade wet'n'dry.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, 57xx said:

On the contrary, they do a lot of GWR style buffers. Long, short, self contained, large/small heads, early, late. The detail is extremely crisp, the only clean up I do is putting them in a mini drill and polishing the buffer face on some high grade wet'n'dry.

Perhaps you could do us inexperienced types a favour and list their buffer models  which will suit GWR wagons (please)

Colin

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Perhaps you could do us inexperienced types a favour and list their buffer models  which will suit GWR wagons (please)

Sure, GWR types:

B006

B019

B020

B021

B022

B023

B030

B048

and if doing a diagram that used RCH buffers:

B002 or B003

• Like 1