Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Very interesting photos. The goods shed is most unusual. I have to build a round topped motor vehicle shed for Helston a bit similar in size and shape so these photos will help. The only similar shed I can find photos of is the bus garage that started life at Bridgnorth in 1904 https://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_Bus_Garage_(Ex_Bridgnorth) . the Helston one was I think wider with doors in the side and not the end but I am very much guessing based on the earlier 3mm model of Helston.

Have you tried the GW architecture book from OPC a few years ago Andy. I am sure its got something similar....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

SWMBO was highly impressed with your entire station setting, the station building in particular, and I can assure you she doesn't impress easily!

She's already muttering, "we must try and visit"; I've alluded to our plans previously if you recall.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin.  Do let me know when you're going to be in Vienna, I'd be delighted to have you and the boss around for a visit.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That shot is a great little period piece and thanks again for the 2251 upgrade  inspiration. If it wasn't stupid o'clock I'd be tempted to get 2291 out of it's box for some photos.

Thanks Rob.  I was pleased with how 3205 scrubbed up, although she's a little quiet, so at some point I will have to strip down the tender and see if I can give her speaker a bit more "oomph".  I'll probably need woofers and tweeters with it...

Also, although I'm quite pleased with how that scene looks, I can of course see (many) things I should have done better.  The drain for the water crane bag isn't actually under the bag!  I should have used masking tape for the bag itself; and the chain isn't hanging properly.  I have some nice fine chain in a box somewhere, but I bet I can't find it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe this will help Graham with his loading dock fence

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsh1117a.htm

Andy

I don't think the fencing would extend along the platform at Chuffnell R though, as it does in that photo, as my end loading dock is at the end of the bay platform.

I know what I mean anyway!  Pics to follow in due course, which will hopefully make more sense...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been painting some more figures today, which I have to say is not something I particularly enjoy...  These are still a work in progress.  Mostly from Modelu, except for the heavily laden porter, who is from Monty's Models if I remember rightly.  He's a very nicely crafted whitemetal figure, but really doesn't like having paint on him!  If I even look at him it seems some of the paint wears off and the metal shows through again.

IMG_0694.jpeg.b93864a2e37386dd4ffc5ccc650a81a6.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Jonathan.  I do wonder if I should make them a bit more drab though; not very well versed in 30s fashion!

Or indeed 21st century fashion, for that matter…

Personally I would tone down the outfits a bit Graham…. More browns and greys rather than our modern colours.

That Pagoda looks very good.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a brush down with some black and brown weathering powders (Humbrol?) should tone the colours down a bit and add some shadow to the folds and creases. Which reminds me I have a fair few ModelU figures which need painting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Jonathan.  I do wonder if I should make them a bit more drab though; not very well versed in 30s fashion!

Or indeed 21st century fashion, for that matter…

I'm told plenty of colours, but earthier tones of those colours for outerwear except some high fashion or lightweight ladies dresses. Much of what we see in films is American fashion or influenced apparently.

You should come around here if you need to know about 20th century women's fashions, particularly when memsahib mother or memsahib sister here or both. 

Now I know how they feel when we saw on about trains, railings and corrugated iron...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's a good question...  But in my parallel world Ms. Miggins (she has given me a stern ticking off for assuming she was married) is something of a rebellious and independently-minded soul.  Apart from living in a three-bed semi, that is.  Being a keen gardener and apiarist, she is also often dismayed by the state of the garden next door...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Am I channelling Einstein this morning?  “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”

IMG_0701.jpeg.5ef619b2e18ae4dbce682f580d99709e.jpeg

Most likely not.  In any case, I'd better clear the decks a bit before I carry on with the latest project(s).

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

One of the projects you might have spotted half-buried in all that chaos is the Parkside NE cattle truck.  The kit has a vacuum cylinder, but no pipes.  I assume that pipes should be added?  Can anyone here confirm or deny please?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

One of the projects you might have spotted half-buried in all that chaos is the Parkside NE cattle truck.  The kit has a vacuum cylinder, but no pipes.  I assume that pipes should be added?  Can anyone here confirm or deny please?

Without reading the whole article, I would say yes....

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/256-lner-cattle-wagon

edit: depending which model it is!

Edited by Neal Ball
checked the photos
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal.  I'd also seen that article, but was a bit daunted by the length and just skimmed it!  Noting that Chuffnell Regis isn't exactly renowned for accuracy (well for a start it wouldn't be OO gauge in that case), I will probably go for fitting vac pipes, but with three link rather than screw link couplings.  The latter is mainly driven by economics!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal.  I'd also seen that article, but was a bit daunted by the length and just skimmed it!  Noting that Chuffnell Regis isn't exactly renowned for accuracy (well for a start it wouldn't be OO gauge in that case), I will probably go for fitting vac pipes, but with three link rather than screw link couplings.  The latter is mainly driven by economics!

I too skimmed it 🤣 Three times now (I cant always be doing with the detail!)

One photo struck me though... Its a 1930's image of Banbury (GWR) with a set of cattle wagons on the sidings.

He states that the train is made up of 3 x GWR; 3 x SR; 2 x LMS and 1 x LNER, going on to say that LNER vehicles are (seemingly) very rare across the UK network, with the majority being GWR and LMS.

I think out of my stock of cattle wagons, all are GWR, with only 1 "foreign" being LMS. I think I need to address the balance, but clearly do not need any LNER 😎

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I too skimmed it 🤣 Three times now (I cant always be doing with the detail!)

One photo struck me though... Its a 1930's image of Banbury (GWR) with a set of cattle wagons on the sidings.

He states that the train is made up of 3 x GWR; 3 x SR; 2 x LMS and 1 x LNER, going on to say that LNER vehicles are (seemingly) very rare across the UK network, with the majority being GWR and LMS.

I think out of my stock of cattle wagons, all are GWR, with only 1 "foreign" being LMS. I think I need to address the balance, but clearly do not need any LNER 😎

That photo caught my eye as well.  I only have one NE cattle wagon, the one that I'm nailing together now.  Five GW ones, plus a couple of old Cooper Craft kits to build, and just two LMS wagons.  So I think I need to add a few more of the latter as well; perhaps a few Parkside kits?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Yes indeed. The vacuum -fitted vehicle should have pipes, and should be painted in bauxite.

The problem with the Parkside kit is that it represents a 9' wheelbase vehicle, and by 1938 the majority of the surviving LNER- built cattle wagons would be 10' wb.

If you are prepared for a little work it is a fairly easy conversion as in ...... here.....

I haven't double checked but I think that by 1938 fitted cattle wagons (even those of the GW) were common user.

Edited by drmditch
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the confirmation.  I do actually have some bauxite paint!  Thanks also for the link to the conversion, but I think I'll stick with building "out of the box" until I'm a little more expert...