Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Bill.  Unfortunately, next on the agenda is a trip to sunny (?) Germany with work for a few days...

I will try not to mention Leopards - too often.

You'll be OK  because they started it..

• Funny 6

6 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Excellent job on the station Graham. Looks like it's always been there now.

I'll second that, I'm already considering a lighter coat of grey on my canopy and leaving the darker colour in the recesses.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll second that, I'm already considering a lighter coat of grey on my canopy and leaving the darker colour in the recesses.

From what I’ve seen the lead ages to quite a light shade.  I could probably make mine lighter still, but am resisting the temptation to mess about with it any more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Feel free!

Nope, we'll "get done" and be made to sit on the naughty step and "think about what we've done"...

Besides, I've only just managed to distance myself from the type of middle class public sector guilt of empire types who are convinced that anyone who isn't at least as far left as they are, (It's in the employment contract I'm sure,) must be some "far right knuckledragger". It's the default position when running out of rational argument, although I do enjoy winding them up and watching them go like a clockwork Snoopy.

Sometimes all you have to do is mention that you've been in the armed forces.

Other times you have to be blatant and say something like: "I'm your worst nightmare, a redneck with a degree..."

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2022 at 16:28, Graham T said:

I'm back in the thick of it with work again today, but here's a couple of snaps of stuff I got done last night (in between cursing 1303, the blasted 1P 0-4-4!)

Not much to see really, some coal added to the store at the end of the goods shed, and to the supply for the fire devil.  I blackened the ladder and fixed it to the water tower as well.

IMG20221018161913.jpg.f49e73c9684685c0a75d998a09e99383.jpg

IMG20221018161925.jpg.eda1deabb851b4860bcb05ce608fd368.jpg

The more I look at your tower the more impressed I am. What did you model the bag with? Where did you get the little wheel for the level read out? The weathering is just brilliant. I am frustratedly trying to do something similar.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

57 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

The weathering is just brilliant. I am frustratedly trying to do something similar.

I'd agree on the first part, no doubt the second will follow in due course.

BTW while you were away, the station seems to have suffered a setback of some sort.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

The more I look at your tower the more impressed I am. What did you model the bag with? Where did you get the little wheel for the level read out? The weathering is just brilliant. I am frustratedly trying to do something similar.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy; the tower is from the Ratio kit.  I used my old favourite material, masking tape, for the bag.  Rolled a small piece into a tube and then painted it.  I'm pretty sure that the wheel was included in the brass fret that came with the kit.

As for the weathering, that was mainly done with washes, most of them wiped away in a downward motion while still wet.  Then the rust spots and streaks were added with varying shades of paint.  I think it was @Harlequin who mentioned to me that the level indicator would blow in the wind, and so leave scrape marks on the tank following an arc, so I also tried to represent that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much Andy; the tower is from the Ratio kit.  I used my old favourite material, masking tape, for the bag.  Rolled a small piece into a tube and then painted it.  I'm pretty sure that the wheel was included in the brass fret that came with the kit.

As for the weathering, that was mainly done with washes, most of them wiped away in a downward motion while still wet.  Then the rust spots and streaks were added with varying shades of paint.  I think it was @Harlequin who mentioned to me that the level indicator would blow in the wind, and so leave scrape marks on the tank following an arc, so I also tried to represent that.

Ah - masking tape - great idea. And yes I had noticed the arc in the rust by the level indicator and assumed it must have been deliberate - I will see what I can manage. My Dapol model does not have the level indicator so I need to add that. But on the up side it does make whooshing noise when in use and even has the driver talking - I am afraid I am rather too fond of sound systems.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have a little Gaugemaster scenic sound module under the baseboard - has sounds of cows, tractors, bird song and so on.  I know those things are a bit "Marmite", but I like it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Ah - masking tape - great idea. And yes I had noticed the arc in the rust by the level indicator and assumed it must have been deliberate - I will see what I can manage. My Dapol model does not have the level indicator so I need to add that. But on the up side it does make whooshing noise when in use and even has the driver talking - I am afraid I am rather too fond of sound systems.

Me too...

Because the arm moves out over the loco my thought was to find a very flimsy fabric for the bag that would flex and slide over the tank filler without knocking the loco over. I've tried a few things but haven't found one that works yet - even what appears to be very fine material at our scale is rigid and rubbery at 4mm scale.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Sounds to me as if you need some slinky little silk number Phil!

The people who make the Mars rover parachutes for Nasa are only a few miles away. Maybe I should see if they've got any offcuts!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Me too...

Because the arm moves out over the loco my thought was to find a very flimsy fabric for the bag that would flex and slide over the tank filler without knocking the loco over. I've tried a few things but haven't found one that works yet - even what appears to be very fine material at our scale is rigid and rubbery at 4mm scale.

Ps are you using DCC on your water tower. Dapol say it’s possible but I cannot find out how.