Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I am certain the strips go the whole way - when laying lead roofs you have to have them to join the strips of lead together (which as mentioned above were between 18 inches and 36 inches wide) and the strips of course run right to the edge of the drainage channel - we have some on our house and I spent a while with the guy who laid the lead who was very interesting (but had awful skin colour). In fact if you look very carefully you will see the rolls end with a chamfer with the lead wrapped over the roll and also over into the drainage channel. The strip at right angles on your canopies means you have a drainage channel all around the edge and with your roofs that seems correct - on Helston they would have been just front to back as the drainage was from the front gutter only.

What are your strips made from - are they circular strip? For ultimate realism the cross section of the strip should be P shaped - there would be a visible seam on one side only where one lead overlaps the next but I think that is going too far in 4mm!

regards

Andy

regards

Andy

Andy, I used plastic rod.  Don't think I will go looking for p-section styrene strip, if you don't mind!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Andy, I used plastic rod.  Don't think I will go looking for p-section styrene strip, if you don't mind!!!

Indeed! - what diameter did you use in the end. I see it is possible to get grey ABS in 1mm and that may save a deal of painting.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Indeed! - what diameter did you use in the end. I see it is possible to get grey ABS in 1mm and that may save a deal of painting.

I think it was about .6mm Andy.  I'm probably going to cover it in masking tape anyway so the colour doesn't really matter so much.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Your station building is looking amazing, great stuff 👍

Thanks Chris, I've enjoyed making this, even though I seem to keep finding more bits that I need to do!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been catching up. I can only agree, the station building looks excellent.

It's striking just how big a difference a canopy makes to the appearance of a building. It greatly enhances the appearance of what in many cases was really just a simple square structure.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hat's off to you Graham. 

What a lovely job you are making of this building. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2023 at 20:50, Andy Keane said:

Masking tape? Now you have me totally baffled.

I'm using masking tape to simulate the lead sheet.  Easy to cut to size (in theory, anyway), and I'm hoping I can lap it up to the plastic rods...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.  And as John says, another case of RMWeb members providing some much needed help!

I've been away for a few days, and am off again tomorrow night, so that's why it's been rather quiet at Chuffnell R.  With luck I might have time to do some roofing before I head off again...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Aaaaaand...  I'm back.  The mad penny has returned.  Just spent two days in Bangkok, as one does, delivering a workshop to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.  Unusually for me, I managed to remain sufficiently diplomatic to not mention one of my favourite punk tracks...

A twelve hour trip back in economy has left one feeling a touch jaded, it has to be said.  So a brief snooze (or two) may be in order before I re-attack the station building.  If the Dead Kennedys don't keep you awake then you're probably a bit tired!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Aaaaaand...  I'm back.  The mad penny has returned.  Just spent two days in Bangkok, as one does, delivering a workshop to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.  Unusually for me, I managed to remain sufficiently diplomatic to not mention one of my favourite punk tracks...

A twelve hour trip back in economy has left one feeling a touch jaded, it has to be said.  So a brief snooze (or two) may be in order before I re-attack the station building.  If the Dead Kennedys don't keep you awake then you're probably a bit tired!

Welcome back Graham, trust it was a fruitful trip.

As for the Dead Kennedys.... The only ones I now of are former American Politicians :-)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Welcome back Graham, trust it was a fruitful trip.

It was thanks, and no durians...

(An acquired taste, some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance, whereas others find the aroma overpowering and unpleasant. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour, which may linger for several days, has led certain hotels and public transportation services in Southeast Asia to ban the fruit.)

13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

As for the Dead Kennedys.... The only ones I now of are former American Politicians :-)

Much like the durian, they're probably an acquired taste!

• RMweb Premium

Lesson No2 .... Durian - as they say, every day is a school day.

I was never a fan of punk and having played Dead Kennedys track, I was thinking.... yes the guitar track is good.... then he sang and I sounded like my Parents moaning about Slade or The Sweet in the 1970's. :-)

Have a good day.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

My band was support for DK about 20 years ago. Nice guys, especially East Bay Ray, and great band. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

My band was support for DK about 20 years ago. Nice guys, especially East Bay Ray, and great band. 

Jay

I think you just qualified for some sort of ultra-cool award Jay (in my book at least).  Is any of your band's stuff online?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think you just qualified for some sort of ultra-cool award Jay (in my book at least).  Is any of your band's stuff online?

Loads online - it’s utterly horrible hahaha. We also did a couple of Peel Sessions which had been a massive ambition. 
That particular band was called Fixitkid. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

So this is where the masking tape comes into play!  I've now added the "lead rolls" to the toilet block roof.  Individual pieces cut to size and then placed with tweezers, smoothed down with a cotton bud, and finally pressed into the joints around the formers using a blunted cocktail stick.  I think (hope!) that this roof will be the more difficult of the two, as the sections on the canopy are larger and more regular.  We'll see...

IMG_0648.jpeg.0fba41a733d58fa09599f6da9be80524.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So this is where the masking tape comes into play!  I've now added the "lead rolls" to the toilet block roof.  Individual pieces cut to size and then placed with tweezers, smoothed down with a cotton bud, and finally pressed into the joints around the formers using a blunted cocktail stick.  I think (hope!) that this roof will be the more difficult of the two, as the sections on the canopy are larger and more regular.  We'll see...

IMG_0648.jpeg.0fba41a733d58fa09599f6da9be80524.jpeg

Blimey - that really is attention to detail. Will you paint it as well? I do hope it stays stuck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2023 at 17:59, JustinDean said:

Loads online - it’s utterly horrible hahaha. We also did a couple of Peel Sessions which had been a massive ambition. 
That particular band was called Fixitkid. 

Jay

were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

• Round of applause 2