Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

It also puts in scale the water tower - they were big things and this view shows it really well. Also the weathering on the tower is looking particularly fine. Do you plan to weather the station building at all (and the corrugated hut)?

The water towers were big beasts - and I've shortened the height of this one!  The pagoda hut will be replaced by a modified version I think.  And it will get some weathering, yes!

20 minutes ago, longchap said:

Those very smart ridge tiles are a lovely touch and the soon to be added canopy will help give the station a more permanent look and balance the scale with the other buildings. 

I hope you add at least some gentle weathering to the roof, canopy and coping stones.

A very fine station building indeed, is emerging from your well planned and executed build. Well done Graham, you should be rightly pleased.

There will be some weathering Bill, but only fairly gentle as you say.  The brick sheets haven't been painted yet, but are actually quite a nice base colour to start with.  I think I'll also tone down the colour of the quoins, but am holding off on that decision until the bricks are done, as the colour might appear differently then.

I'm now trying some fancy tricks with plastic sheet and tube to see if I can make something that looks even vaguely like these carved capstones (if that's what they're called...)

758646990_Screenshot2022-12-16at10_21_27.png.8484fa2050f22f68fdcecd7c52e53b22.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Probably the easiest way to do those "things" (Are they Corbels?) is to laminate several sheets of Plasticard together, cut and the sand into shape.

Good luck, 

I cut a length of plastic tube lengthwise and then quartered it, before laminating up with some 1mm strips (i.e. one brick course per strip).

I made this long enough that I could then cut four identical corbels from it with a razor saw.  So far so good!

Pics to follow when I'm back at home.  Right now am supposed to be meeting a group of diplomats for lunch.  Being ex-military I arrived 5 minutes early of course.  Being diplomats, none of them are here...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I had a similar experience the other week. I had an appointment at 09:15. So if the meeting was to start then, like you I turned up at 09:10, which is the professional and polite thing to do.

I was asked if I could leave and come back at the appointed time for "reasons of confidentiality"?

It was of course, nearly 09:30 when the other parties turned up. Typical bureaucrats, no wonder the country is stuffed.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I cut a length of plastic tube lengthwise and then quartered it, before laminating up with some 1mm strips (i.e. one brick course per strip).

I made this long enough that I could then cut four identical corbels from it with a razor saw.  So far so good!

Pics to follow when I'm back at home.  Right now am supposed to be meeting a group of diplomats for lunch.  Being ex-military I arrived 5 minutes early of course.  Being diplomats, none of them are here...

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I had a similar experience the other week. I had an appointment at 09:15. So if the meeting was to start then, like you I turned up at 09:10, which is the professional and polite thing to do.

I was asked if I could leave and come back at the appointed time for "reasons of confidentiality"?

It was of course, nearly 09:30 when the other parties turned up. Typical bureaucrats, no wonder the country is stuffed.

You both have my sympathies….. Compare that to Spain…. Where anything up to an hour after the appointed time is still considered to be “on time” and certainly would not get an apology!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

You both have my sympathies….. Compare that to Spain…. Where anything up to an hour after the appointed time is still considered to be “on time” and certainly would not get an apology!

Working in east Africa was even worse!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

We have ‘Wirksworth Time’ in my part of the world. Some thing may happen around the date you arranged if you’re lucky here!

Tomorrow I’m being picked up at 9am Wigan Time.

I gather it has the same feeling as a Glasgow ‘back ‘o 9’.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The ridge tiles are now fixed, and I've also got the first of the corbels finished, along with the cap stones for the end wall.

IMG20221216190617.jpeg.1f9f70e01ba094edaa120f1f37c80cad.jpeg

Here's a "raw" corbel...

IMG20221216172522.jpeg.42449c5d0a6fa33f133df1d932b2d1b7.jpeg

And a not very well focussed pic of a finished one.

IMG20221216172624.jpeg.29da18d8dbda24a1c489ae015caad502.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Graham T said:

That's quite enough of that corbelling malarkey, thank you very much.  As you can see they're not nearly as intricate as the originals at Rowden Mill, but they'll have to do as I've reached the limits of my ability here!

Next step will be to add the guttering at the back of the building.  It won't be visible once the model is in situ, but you know how it is...  Then the skylight over the gents, and the canopy.  And then all the little details and painting.  Not forgetting the chimney caps, of course!  So still rather a long way to go.

IMG20221216234014.jpeg.72495ea0902698a5b6146bb477aeadb1.jpeg

That’s terrific Graham.

6 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

I'll be satisfied if I can get remotely near to your build quality when my turn comes, it is coming on superbly.

Colin

You aren’t alone…. I keep looking at the standard @Graham T is setting and thinking I need to rebuild elements of Henley-on-Thames.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had much time for Chuffnell R this weekend, but did manage to bodge together a skylight for the gents toilet...  I think I'll probably add another thin plastic strip around the bottom edges of the glazing - it doesn't look quite finished somehow.

IMG20221218210951.jpeg.23ce49cc9abbed446dc274fbd81eb079.jpeg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, russell price said:

Just reading through this thread, vey impressive modelling, as for the bus livery, Chuffnell Regis must be served by Yeomans!

Gosh, that's a bit of a blast from the past!  Yeoman's Canyon Travel if I remember rightly!

And thanks for the kind words Russell 🙂