Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks chaps.  I've made a start on the drawings, and have more or less got the front and rear elevations cracked.  Although I do have some scale drawings, they're not very good reproductions, and so not all of the measurements are legible.  So I'm resorting to the photos mainly, and counting bricks!  I've also been putting a 4mm scale figure up against the drawings to see if things look more or less feasible.  So far, so good.

IMG20221204162857.jpeg.c0203b9c3a38079abb5c144ed95ade5b.jpeg

The glass is full of gin, which is helping no end 🥸

Wow, I'd love a desktop set up like that but it's a tad too big to fit in my Christmas Stocking🤔

Regarding " Although I do have some scale drawings, they're not very good reproductions, and so not all of the measurements are legible.", I spent some time photo enhancing / measuring up the various Portesham plans so if you'd like a copy of my work I'm happy to share that with you off-line. I've also done similar with the much larger Kingsbridge terminus.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nothing worse than a stark white canvas. I like to slosh on a brown wash coat asap, I find it takes the glare off it and you pick up the brush while it's still wet and put in some guide lines.

Likewise starting with a sheet of your chosen material, draw on the outside dimensions of the largest part of your building. Once you have that rectangle, you're just filling in the details from your plans. I had the same thoughts setting out the parts for my crossing house, as I hadn't made anything for twenty years.

I almost always start with a pencil outline, and then fill in the basic shapes and the main tones with burnt umber.  That doesn't mean that the painting will actually take off, though - sometimes they'll sit for weeks, or even months, in that state!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Wow, I'd love a desktop set up like that but it's a tad too big to fit in my Christmas Stocking🤔

Regarding " Although I do have some scale drawings, they're not very good reproductions, and so not all of the measurements are legible.", I spent some time photo enhancing / measuring up the various Portesham plans so if you'd like a copy of my work I'm happy to share that with you off-line. I've also done similar with the much larger Kingsbridge terminus.

Colin

It's not as grand as it might appear Colin - just the dining table cleared off so that I have yet another flat surface to clutter up!

If you could share the Portesham and Kingsbridge drawings with me that would be really helpful, thanks for the offer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's not as grand as it might appear Colin - just the dining table cleared off so that I have yet another flat surface to clutter up!

If you could share the Portesham and Kingsbridge drawings with me that would be really helpful, thanks for the offer.

I was focused on the draughtsman's board as noted already by Bill (Longchap)

No problem re sharing, I just need a little time to dig them out + do a couples of scans.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gedward said:

This was how I created Crowcombe Heathfield for Bovey Tor. I tried several methods and ended up using the Pendon method.

WB_01.jpg

IMG_4511_a.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

What a lovely model - there is no doubt painting bricks and blocks in one at a time gives brilliant results. I try and do this when I can but it does take a while!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

I was focused on the draughtsman's board as noted already by Bill (Longchap)

No problem re sharing, I just need a little time to dig them out + do a couples of scans.

Thanks Colin.  The board is just a fairly inexpensive one from Amazon; I can find a link if you want.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

What a lovely model - there is no doubt painting bricks and blocks in one at a time gives brilliant results. I try and do this when I can but it does take a while!

Must confess that I'm cheating with Chuffnell Regis and am going to use some laser cut brick sheets from Intentio.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Must confess that I'm cheating with Chuffnell Regis and am going to use some laser cut brick sheets from Intentio.

I refuse to hear your confession young man. There's no cheating in this hobby, just other ways of doing something.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst a pannier might never offend, I think this one is getting close by being too shiny!  Time for some more weathering soon, methinks.  I also now have some brass strip for the brake rods, so will see if my soldering "skills" are up to bodging something together there.  That could be a bit of a challenge due to the configuration of 27xx class brake rodding...

IMG20221204224131.jpeg.c0bad7efb7b905299bc89df98329c937.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I've made a bit more progress with the drawings for the station building as well.  Driver figure added to give an idea of proportions.  I think I might have got the overall building a couple of feet shorter than it actually should be, but I suspect that is down to my guesstimations of the door and window sizes.  I've made the plans using the actual laser cut doors, windows, and quoins, and then counted bricks in between.  So, although the overall dimensions might not be 100%a accurate, I think the proportions look about right, so that will be good enough for government work.

The next step is to make lots of copies of the drawings, then glue them onto some card and see how things look in three dimensions.  If that seems ok then I will make a start on the brick cladding.

IMG20221205174538.jpeg.fa521913754a6b957e29ace02614a880.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

As so often seems to happen, I just had a brainwave after hitting "Reply".  I have some GWR posters, so will dig those out and see if they fit in the gaps as shown on the reference photos.  If they do, great.  If they don't, then it will literally be back to the drawing board!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've made a bit more progress with the drawings for the station building as well.  Driver figure added to give an idea of proportions.  I think I might have got the overall building a couple of feet shorter than it actually should be, but I suspect that is down to my guesstimations of the door and window sizes.  I've made the plans using the actual laser cut doors, windows, and quoins, and then counted bricks in between.  So, although the overall dimensions might not be 100%a accurate, I think the proportions look about right, so that will be good enough for government work.

The next step is to make lots of copies of the drawings, then glue them onto some card and see how things look in three dimensions.  If that seems ok then I will make a start on the brick cladding.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect and even made myself a full size drawing board.... for whoever reason, I never picked it up from the TD class 🙁

That set up and drawings look very good.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Do you plan any interior walls? I and my good lady spent some time on this for Helston and she had to go on surveys to some unreachable parts of station buildings to gather info! She is a very patient soul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect and even made myself a full size drawing board.... for whoever reason, I never picked it up from the TD class 🙁

That set up and drawings look very good.

Funnily enough, architecture was the only career that interested me as a teenager.  But I joined the Navy instead!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Do you plan any interior walls? I and my good lady spent some time on this for Helston and she had to go on surveys to some unreachable parts of station buildings to gather info! She is a very patient soul.

I'll be putting some walls in, yes, but more for rigidity than anything else.  I'm not planning on making interiors as they won't be visible.

• Like 2

I'll be putting some walls in, yes, but more for rigidity than anything else.  I'm not planning on making interiors as they won't be visible.

I had similar thoughts with my station building, at least putting in the booking office but even with lighting it's nearly impossible to see inside, so it got simple dividing walls for the three rooms.

Funnily enough, architecture was the only career that interested me as a teenager.  But I joined the Navy instead!

I've always been interested in architecture, but I think that I was born about a hundred years too late. When I was very young, I thought I would like to get into car design, but I realised, looking at the Ford Fiestas and Nissan Bluebirds that again I was born too late to be allowed to design anything remotely interesting.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Funnily enough, architecture was the only career that interested me as a teenager.  But I joined the Navy instead

Naval Architect?

Edited by aardvark
I only had two words to type ...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

I have wallpaper, fireplaces and rudimentary furniture inside some of the offices at Henley-on-Thames….. oh! And the Gents has the right number of stalls etc - no China ware though 😎

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Graham T said:

There is of course such a beast - but I wasn't one!  This was my office:

2127475370_Screenshot2022-12-06at09_32_49.png.6ba7ed31b258de524a3e9f91e839e0e3.png

Photo:  IWM

That tele looks a bit small, so many buttons, I bet the remote control was huge 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 3