Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Here's a close-up photo:

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

From left to right: Roof, Bogie, Body

The texture feels like sandpaper.

That’s awful. If I’d done it myself and that was my first go, I would hopefully learn from it.

But to buy something of that low quality and at those prices, that’s just awful.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I've just received three sets of Pressfix transfers from the UK - impressively fast delivery!  I haven't used these before, and it appears to me that they aren't quite the same as the traditional waterslide transfers that I've used in the past.  My question for anyone who has used them before is, do I need a coat of gloss varnish underneath them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2022 at 12:25, Harlequin said:

Here's a close-up photo:

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

From left to right: Roof, Bogie, Body

The texture feels like sandpaper.

All the stuff I have seen from Shapeways looks like it's sat at the bottom of the Atlantic for 100 years. fine if you're modelling a wreck of the Titanic, but for models railways? No thanks. Especially at the prices they charge.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Graham, they don't need gloss underneath ordinarily. If the paintwork is very matt then a coat of gloss or satin varnish will help them stick.

I tend to do a small patch of Klear for Pressfix but have been lazy on some wagons and gone straight onto matt paint with no issues.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I tend to do a small patch of Klear for Pressfix but have been lazy on some wagons and gone straight onto matt paint with no issues.

I'm going to try them on the Ratio LMS 3-planker first, without any varnish.  The kit came with waterslide transfers - now I haven't actually lost them - but I don't know their exact location at the moment!  No doubt they will re-appear once I've applied the Pressfix...

Ric, what do you use to seal the Pressfix transfers?  I'll be weathering the wagons and have no idea how durable (or not) Pressfix are.

Edited by Graham T

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Graham T said:

I'm going to try them on the Ratio LMS 3-planker first, without any varnish first.  The kit came with waterslide transfers - now I haven't actually lost them - but I don't know their exact location at the moment!  No doubt they will re-appear once I've applied the Pressfix...

Ric, what do you use to seal the Pressfix transfers?  I'll be weathering the wagons and have no idea how durable (or not) Pressfix are.

I do another coat of Klear over the top of the whole wagon prior to weathering.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And the wagon painting saga continues.  They have taken far longer to get painted than I thought they would!  The Cordon is Vallejo black, and the loco coal wagon Vallejo black/grey.  The D1666 (of which I plan to get a few more) is Tamiya neutral grey, and the 3-plank wagon is rust red, I think.  Getting Precision Paints or anything like that sent from the UK is a pain, and so I think for wagons an approximation is probably ok.  They'll be getting weathered anyway.  If it looks right...

IMG20221126144005.jpg.15decd867c79ff631110db34a9b22ca8.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

And the wagon painting saga continues.  They have taken far longer to get painted than I thought they would!  The Cordon is Vallejo black, and the loco coal wagon Vallejo black/grey.  The D1666 (of which I plan to get a few more) is Tamiya neutral grey, and the 3-plank wagon is rust red, I think.  Getting Precision Paints or anything like that sent from the UK is a pain, and so I think for wagons an approximation is probably ok.  They'll be getting weathered anyway.  If it looks right...

IMG20221126144005.jpg.15decd867c79ff631110db34a9b22ca8.jpg

The wagons look very good Graham.

I am surprised that you can get paint sent from the UK to Austria... I wouldn't be able to get any sent to me here in Spain. However, for such things as Light and dark stone I have the recipe for Vallejo paints which gives a very pleasing rendition.

Are you tempted by any of the Rapido offerings today? A 45xx or B set perhaps?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The wagons look very good Graham.

Thanks Neal, they're getting there slowly!

I am surprised that you can get paint sent from the UK to Austria... I wouldn't be able to get any sent to me here in Spain. However, for such things as Light and dark stone I have the recipe for Vallejo paints which gives a very pleasing rendition.

I managed to get some Railmatch acrylics sent to me a while ago from dear old Blighty, but generally it's a non-starter.  Don't even think about trying to get enamels, as you know!  I too am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Vallejo paints.  Great range of colours, very easy to apply, and cover well.

Are you tempted by any of the Rapido offerings today? A 45xx or B set perhaps?

Very!  But I already have a reinforced B-set, and a brace of Bachmann small prairies (a 4500 and a 4575), so I think I will stick with those, for now at least.  Can't really afford the money or the space to be honest...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I managed to get some Railmatch acrylics sent to me a while ago from dear old Blighty, but generally it's a non-starter.  Don't even think about trying to get enamels, as you know!  I too am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Vallejo paints.  Great range of colours, very easy to apply, and cover well.

Try looking on ebay. I got a few tins of enamel without stupid courier costs from some small suppliers who must have forgotten to read the ridiculous stipulations of Royal Fail. ;)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Not remotely related to model railways (although I know of one visitor here who might like it), but I just finished a painting that I promised to do for my 11 year old daughter, who is wildlife crazy.

This is the first one I've done for over a year, as the muse decided to depart for points west, and the rustiness shows!  Also, I find painting animals very difficult.  Give me a landscape or a grotty and grimy industrial scene any day.  But hopefully she will be pleased with it.  Also, much like model railways, close-up pics of paintings are cruel (or at least pics of my paintings are); it looks a bit better from a reasonable viewing distance*.

Now I need to paint an octopus for my 9 year old!  Oh tentacles!!!

IMG20221126161730.jpg.09491190abf2fd74a0289cfae0f01b57.jpg

*  Of about a mile.  With a following wind.  If you squint...

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Try looking on ebay. I got a few tins of enamel without stupid courier costs from some small suppliers who must have forgotten to read the ridiculous stipulations of Royal Fail. ;)

Interesting.  Were you able to get stuff like Precision Paints though?  If so, perhaps you could PM me a link?  I can get regular enamels here from local model shops.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 57xx said:

3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Interesting.  Were you able to get stuff like Precision Paints though?  If so, perhaps you could PM me a link?  I can get regular enamels here from local model shops.

I don't think I would get it through the Spanish customs....

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Unfortunately not, it was for a couples of tins of Humbrol. I had to succumb to shite postage prices on Precision paints (and waited till I had enough colours to warrant an order rather than shipping costing more than 1 tinlet!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Nice job Graham. Last time I saw this it was just an underpainting. Your daughter should be thrilled with this.

Thank you George, much appreciated coming from you!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I don't think I would get it through the Spanish customs....

Class A drugs, weapons, people - yes.

Tiny tins of enamel paint - no! Far too dangerous!

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Not remotely related to model railways (although I know of one visitor here who might like it), but I just finished a painting that I promised to do for my 11 year old daughter, who is wildlife crazy.

This is the first one I've done for over a year, as the muse decided to depart for points west, and the rustiness shows!  Also, I find painting animals very difficult.  Give me a landscape or a grotty and grimy industrial scene any day.  But hopefully she will be pleased with it.  Also, much like model railways, close-up pics of paintings are cruel (or at least pics of my paintings are); it looks a bit better from a reasonable viewing distance*.

Now I need to paint an octopus for my 9 year old!  Oh tentacles!!!

IMG20221126161730.jpg.09491190abf2fd74a0289cfae0f01b57.jpg

*  Of about a mile.  With a following wind.  If you squint...

Impressive. An interesting choice of animal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1