Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Graham T said:

This is fitting my mood at the moment, for some reason.  Love the guitar.

I remember this being regularly blasted out at the Full Tilt club on Fridays at the Electric Ballroom in the 90s. Ah those days...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

a horrendous gap between the solebar and the tank mounting at the right hand end!  I don't think I can fix that now

Ah, the gift of close up photography! A useful tool however to check progress during a build or bash. I would be tempted to carefully place some filler in the gap by disposable syringe or cut down coffee stir / cocktail sticks, then file and touch up. Where's there's a will, you'll find a way.

Bon courage.

Edited by longchap
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, longchap said:

Ah, the gift of close up photography! A useful tool however to check progress during a build or bash. I would be tempted to carefully place some filler in the gap by disposable syringe or cut down coffee stir / cocktail sticks, then file and touch up. Where's there's a will, you'll find a way.

Bon courage.

Yes, now I know it's there I'll have to fix it or it will drive me slowly mad(der).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I remember this being regularly blasted out at the Full Tilt club on Fridays at the Electric Ballroom in the 90s. Ah those days...

I was lucky enough to see the Stones here in Austria a few years ago.  They were awesomely good live, as you'd imagine.  And a quick google shows that somebody filmed the whole gig, and has put it up on youtube.  I think that will be the background accompaniment to my work tomorrow 

• Like 3

Gap or no gap, that Cordon wagon is looking really good, I think that the shade of black is spot on. It's certainly spurred me on to not give up with the single sided brake van!

The pictures on the bridge always inspire. I think that scene captures so much of what railway photographers were trying to preserve 60, 70, 80 or more years ago.

KBO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Graham, apologies to getting to the cordon party late…. It was a warm sunny day on the Costa yesterday, so we were out catching up with friends and their new puppy!

The Cordon looks great, as has been said, fill the little gap with a bit of plasticard or coffee stirrer etc.

The freight train also looks good, particularly the two GWR containers. Did you rebrand them with different liveries? Again POW sides do transfers for them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Gap or no gap, that Cordon wagon is looking really good, I think that the shade of black is spot on. It's certainly spurred me on to not give up with the single sided brake van!

The pictures on the bridge always inspire. I think that scene captures so much of what railway photographers were trying to preserve 60, 70, 80 or more years ago.

KBO.

Thanks Rob.  I used Vallejo black; thought about using black/grey, but I think this was the right choice.

The views around the bridge are still really the only part of the layout that looks more or less complete, which is why you always tend to see the same thing!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Keeping with the subject in hand, I had to listen to this this afternoon. Something to do with the fumes from curing chemical metal.

Possibly.

https://youtu.be/zAkhQOfRxpI

That led me, as youtube tends to do, to a clip of a classical musician listening to and critiquing "Brothers in Arms" for the first time.  Very interesting to see her reactions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Graham, apologies to getting to the cordon party late…. It was a warm sunny day on the Costa yesterday, so we were out catching up with friends and their new puppy!

The Cordon looks great, as has been said, fill the little gap with a bit of plasticard or coffee stirrer etc.

The freight train also looks good, particularly the two GWR containers. Did you rebrand them with different liveries? Again POW sides do transfers for them.

Thanks Neal, patching up the Cordon is near the top of my (long) to-do list!  I'm pleased with the result so far; the 3D printed one looks very nice, but is too expensive for me.  And I don't need two of these anyway.  (Yes I know that's never stopped me before...)

The containers are as they were delivered.  The one-planker is an old Airfix model, the other is from Bachmann.  They've just had a bit of weathering and three link couplings added.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal, patching up the Cordon is near the top of my (long) to-do list!  I'm pleased with the result so far; the 3D printed one looks very nice, but is too expensive for me.  And I don't need two of these anyway.  (Yes I know that's never stopped me before...)

The containers are as they were delivered.  The one-planker is an old Airfix model, the other is from Bachmann.  They've just had a bit of weathering and three link couplings added.

I looked at those 3D models and was interested in the Siphon models.... €30 odd for the body, plus a roof and underframe etc. and it worked out somewhere North of €60....

Which when I looked critically at the quality, I didnt think it was worth it. It would take too much effort to get to the right standard.

Interesting stuff though... But NO! I am still resisting getting a printer myself!

Have a good day, I am off to do some Chocolate 😎

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I looked at those 3D models and was interested in the Siphon models.... €30 odd for the body, plus a roof and underframe etc. and it worked out somewhere North of €60....

Which when I looked critically at the quality, I didnt think it was worth it. It would take too much effort to get to the right standard.

Interesting stuff though... But NO! I am still resisting getting a printer myself!

His stuff is pretty expensive but I'm tempted by the 517...  Don't think I will get a printer myself though either.

Have fun with the painting!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

20 minutes ago, Graham T said:

His stuff is pretty expensive but I'm tempted by the 517...  Don't think I will get a printer myself thought either.

Have fun with the painting!

Sorry Guys, I lost track. Who's 3D prints are you referring to?

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Those signal pulleys on the bridge look excellent.

Paul.

Thanks very much Paul, nice to hear that from an expert!  The pulleys are from Wizard if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's Stafford Road Model Works Phil.

2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Ah, thanks. I have one of their Bullion vans in my stash. It was very expensive from Shapeways and the print quality is not good - a huge amount of filler will be needed to get smooth surfaces. My  own 3D printer would do a better job. 😞

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

Ah, thanks. I have one of their Bullion vans in my stash. It was very expensive from Shapeways and the print quality is not good - a huge amount of filler will be needed to get smooth surfaces. My  own 3D printer would do a better job. 😞

That's useful to know, thanks Phil.  Saved the wallet from some more grief!

Mind you, the wallet has just taken a bit of a battering on Modelu's site.  You probably know, but they're doing a 15% discount this weekend (use the code FRIDAY15).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's useful to know, thanks Phil.  Saved the wallet from some more grief!

Mind you, the wallet has just taken a bit of a battering on Modelu's site.  You probably know, but they're doing a 15% discount this weekend (use the code FRIDAY15).

Here's a close-up photo:

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

From left to right: Roof, Bogie, Body

The texture feels like sandpaper.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Here's a close-up photo:

IMG_20221125_122102.jpg.8174638903f40a66958d9a66effc8ad7.jpg

From left to right: Roof, Bogie, Body

The texture feels like sandpaper.

Ugh.  Think I'll give that a miss, thanks!

And I'll have to look elsewhere for new bogies to fit the Siphons and clerestories.

Edited by Graham T
  • Agree 2

For comparison, this one is a home printed effort which will be familiar to those who follow my thread. It of course was created by @chuffinghell of this parish and has had no filler, only two light coats of primer and three of GWR green.

It just shows what can be done.

IMG_20220710_023724_1.jpg.1fe5305c81b5c63566ba186c0cf43b80.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1