Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A ripple of excitement here at Chuffnell Regis just now.  An email flooded in with an invoice for an Accurascale Manor, so hopefully that means one might be arriving here in the not too distant future...

Due at the end of March, so not too long a wait now 🙂

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

A ripple of excitement here at Chuffnell Regis just now.  An email flooded in with an invoice for an Accurascale Manor, so hopefully that means one might be arriving here in the not too distant future...

Ah!

1 hour ago, longchap said:

Due at the end of March, so not too long a wait now 🙂

I thought it was earlier? I thought sort of February????

Oh no! Late Q1 - March now 🙁 https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/all-manors-of-updates-production-of-our-manor-well-underway

Oh, that seems an awfully long way off when you are as impatient as me!

I know, its seems like an age - made worse by (I think) it was Hattons sent out an email for a Dapol on for £281 - I tell myself, I don't need a Dapol one 😃

Presumably you have both ordered it from the European Accurascale site? I hope that doesn't delay it 😎

I am sure it will be worth the wait

Edited by Neal Ball
Date details changed
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Ah!

I thought it was earlier? I thought sort of February????

Oh no! Late Q1 - March now 🙁 https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/all-manors-of-updates-production-of-our-manor-well-underway

I know, its seems like an age - made worse by (I think) it was Hattons sent out an email for a Dapol on for £281 - I tell myself, I don't need a Dapol one 😃

Presumably you have both ordered it from the European Accurascale site? I hope that doesn't delay it 😎

I am sure it will be worth the wait

Yes I did order mine from the EU site, hopefully that will help.  I'm successfully managing to resist the Dapol Manor at the moment, although I do have one of their Moguls (in fact it was one of the first locos I bought, I think), and I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yes I did order mine from the EU site, hopefully that will help.  I'm successfully managing to resist the Dapol Manor at the moment, although I do have one of their Moguls (in fact it was one of the first locos I bought, I think), and I'm very happy with it.

The Dapol Mogul is a good model and I'm sure the 43XX versions will be too when they come along but the Manor is flawed, IMHO.

BTW: Notice the increased supply and falling prices of Bachmann Manors on your favourite online auction and used retailers websites!...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Presumably you have both ordered it from the European Accurascale site? I hope that doesn't delay it 

It seemed the obvious thing to do to avoid the Brexit tax, plus I seem to remember, but quite possibly wrong, something about free delivery?

The Dapol generally looks to be a good loco, but besides the missing fold-down cab seats, I could not live with the ski-jump firebox.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Me too - I have no good reason for running a manor into Helston but they are irresistible. I have Cookham on order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little more glacial progress at Chuffnell R today.  A bit of Tamiya gunship grey has been wafted about.  The loco coal wagon perhaps needs to be a bit darker, I'm not sure to be honest.  But I'm pleased that the Cordon now looks a bit more satisfactory with some paint on it.  That will now get covered in black, and both are waiting for some transfers from HRMS.  Goodness knows how long those will take to arrive, post from the Uk seems to be pretty awful over the last few weeks.  A new winter of discontent coming perhaps?  Glad I opted to stay in Austria - even though the local bureaucracy does drive me mad on a fairly regular basis!

IMG20221122203654.jpg.8eee130f7f41c17a1797b060123893d8.jpg

IMG20221122203601.jpg.3cd14503704918b1b9c02a14e333d550.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The real world has prevented much activity at Chuffnell R today, but I did get to play trains a little this evening.  Just for @MrWolf, here's a view of the station through the Norden bombsight (I know Stukas wouldn't have had the Norden, but bear with me!)

IMG20221123183931.jpg.c59886830b4ac221febf5abd461ffac3.jpg

And here's one of that train arriving.  I'm now wondering if this is the pannier that should have its topfeed removed...  I should also really replace those handrail knobs, especially as I have some that are closer to scale.

IMG20221123183126.jpg.75f53c030ef96bf0a82ce214eeb48c6b.jpg

And finally Bodgeit and Scarper, ably assisted by Heath Robinson, have been tweaking what I call the fiddle yards (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek).  I have two of these, so can store up to six short trains now.  A loco and up to a dozen wagons, which is more than enough for Chuffnell Regis, or loco and a pair of coaches.  The tweaking has involved adding a removable gate at the entry end of the plank, so that now I can lift the filled article up onto a shelf without worrying about runaways escaping off the open end.  It's had a test, and works!

IMG20221123212910.jpg.efbf32ab50e61311eff973b846f9a49d.jpg

Edited by Graham T
A before R in Scarper, you fool!
  • Like 13

Progress is progress, no matter how small. I've still got to construct some fiddle yards that will fit the layouts new home. At least this time they are of a design that can't become a dumping ground.

As for your comments about bomb sights, the rules are simple:

No buses on bridges = No dive bomber attacks.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you're having a fiddle yard at each end aren't you Rob?  I quite like that idea, but won't be using it on CR Mk II.  It will basically be just a slightly larger version of Mk I (provided that I can secure permission from the authorities...)

CR Mk II will also feature a road bridge though, and I already have a bus kit to build, so perhaps I should buy some Bofors guns as well 🥸

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Yes, Aston is a through station and first block post on the line, so has the dubious honour of two fiddle yards.

I do have some future plans for a small terminus, already approved by the department of internal affairs.

Of course with the condition that I get this one built first!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, Aston is a through station and first block post on the line, so has the dubious honour of two fiddle yards.

I do have some future plans for a small terminus, already approved by the department of internal affairs.

Of course with the condition that I get this one built first!

Will you set things up so that you can put either the fiddle yard or the terminus at one end of the layout you're building now?  (Hopefully that makes sense - I can see it in my mind's eye!)

As in:

FIDDLE YARD -- ASTON ON CLUN -- FIDDLE YARD

Or:

FIDDLE YARD -- ASTON ON CLUN -- TERMINUS

That could be an interesting set-up, I think.

• RMweb Gold

It's been "paint your wagon" day here today.  Well, mostly it's been "have an incredibly frustrating day at work day", but I digress.

Anyway, the Cordon has had a coat of Vallejo black.  Still need to paint in the tank gauges and touch up the vac pipes a little.  Weathering will have to wait for transfers to arrive from the UK.  The way the post is moving at the moment, the wagon may well have weathered itself by the time they get here...

IMG20221124211034.jpg.362d204957e38e66781bd42da834d3d9.jpg

The second photo shows up a horrendous gap between the solebar and the tank mounting at the right hand end!  I don't think I can fix that now, as trying to bend that whitemetal casting is likely to send a host of other parts pinging off into oblivion.  Of course, when I'd almost finished "building" this monstrosity I found that there's a 3D printed one available from Stafford Road Model Works (rather expensive mind...)

IMG20221124211105.jpg.6802a015ec7c2399c6a9166df6b136e4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

It's been "paint your wagon" day here today.  Well, mostly it's been "have an incredibly frustrating day at work day", but I digress.

Anyway, the Cordon has had a coat of Vallejo black.  Still need to paint in the tank gauges and touch up the vac pipes a little.  Weathering will have to wait for transfers to arrive from the UK.  The way the post is moving at the moment, the wagon may well have weathered itself by the time they get here...

IMG20221124211034.jpg.362d204957e38e66781bd42da834d3d9.jpg

The second photo shows up a horrendous gap between the solebar and the tank mounting at the right hand end!  I don't think I can fix that now, as trying to bend that whitemetal casting is likely to send a host of other parts pinging off into oblivion.  Of course, when I'd almost finished "building" this monstrosity I found that there's a 3D printed one available from Stafford Road Model Works (rather expensive mind...)

IMG20221124211105.jpg.6802a015ec7c2399c6a9166df6b136e4.jpg

A little bit of liquid plastic filler followed by paint perhaps? But even without it’s rather impressive.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

A little bit of liquid plastic filler followed by paint perhaps? But even without it’s rather impressive.

That might work, or even perhaps a thin slice of plasticard...  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a little play with putting some mixed goods trains together just now (good practice with the three links...) 

I know it's an antique, but this Collett Goods might be one of my favourite locos.  Here she is "charging" over the bridge into Chuffnell R, and then at rest in the loop before shunting the (probably wildly non-prototypical) train.

IMG20221124223140.jpg.f14a5dbb5dbac844a32e9dde45c38edc.jpg

IMG20221124223117.jpg.e32d7e18691071e4d40474d3d67a6161.jpg

IMG20221124223330.jpg.19b5422cb3143f2c4133d600532f2cb7.jpg

IMG20221124223355.jpg.32ecf54b66fc61c36807076fa9999ca8.jpg

• Like 15