Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

That's enough for this evening, I think.  Not sure how long the various steps will survive contact with the real world...

The roof is just lying in place at the moment.  I'm planning to paint everything before I put the glazing in, then glue the roof on.  I've added a partition as suggested by @Barclay to stiffen the bodywork, and also popped a couple of weights inside.  The only other additions have been couplings and vacuum pipes.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some primer on it tomorrow.  It's a long way from a perfect build, but has been a learning process and is just about good enough for government work!  As my grandmother would have said, a blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it 🥸

IMG20221101210557.jpg.68d71096c1a418de2eeedffbfef0d427.jpg

IMG20221101210535.jpg.72c30003ddba98eef7ddbd25d646c97a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Beetle was my first kit build as well; we travel many similar paths it seems!  One thing I found was that the tiny PS steps at the corners are fragile beyond all belief and I ended up replacing them all with home build items fabricated out of very thin aluminium (old soft drink can I recall). Then in my situation at the time I was always taking stock on and off, not the best. Park it at the end of a little used siding and it'll be fine. 

• Like 1

PS in case you don't know the topic, I find it an excellent resource and inspiration regarding Kit builds.

@jwealleansWest End Workbench - most helpfully it has an index and from a quick check, Jonathan has replaced the lost photos.

There are others but sadly without photos reinstated much of the topic value has been lost if you can't see the outcome.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Beetle has now been primed, and had a couple of coats of Vallejo chocolate brown splashed on, with dark grey for the chassis.  The roof was sprayed with Tamiya German grey (and is still just plonked on until I do the glazing).  Once the roof is on I'll leave the paint to cure for a few days, and then make a start on the varnish and transfers.  I have another one of these to build, which hopefully will come out better...

IMG20221102215149.jpg.19b28387054e82e7240a17f931f411c1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The Beetle has now been primed, and had a couple of coats of Vallejo chocolate brown splashed on.......

If "splashed on" = brushed, have you discovered the Vallejo Retarder medium?

You pre-wet the surface with the diluted medium and it retards the drying of the hand painted acrylic, allowing for a very fine finish to be achieved. As I can't use sprays here (domestic reasons) I've had to make do with hand painting my kits and am very happy with the results when using the medium as a preparation step

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BWsTrains said:

If "splashed on" = brushed, have you discovered the Vallejo Retarder medium?

You pre-wet the surface with the diluted medium and it retards the drying of the hand painted acrylic, allowing for a very fine finish to be achieved. As I can't use sprays here (domestic reasons) I've had to make do with hand painting my kits and am very happy with the results when using the medium as a preparation step

I hadn't heard of the retarder Colin, thanks for the tip.  I'll have to see if I can get some, as I do like Vallejo paints.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Beep Beep.

Did you know that the coyote can, in real life, run faster than a roadrunner?

Interesting fact of the day, brought to you by the bluffers at Chuffnell R 🙂

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I was thinking of the daft horn on Herbie.

A coyote is about 5mph faster than a wolf, but we can shoot straighter...

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Graham T said:

Until it reaches a precariously positioned ACME 10T weight, or a cliff face with a painted-on tunnel...

• Funny 3