Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

More LMS stuff creeping in I see. It'll be LNER next and then where will you be?

He'll have a layout with a good representation of wagons from the across the system (although not sure how far, it at all, brake vans wandered). :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Graham T said:

More weathering today - i think I've had just about enough of it for now though!  All the usual methods used here:  frame dirt sprayed on the chassis and lower body, dark wash on the woodwork, black powder applied sparingly to the roof with a large soft brush, then sealed with matt varnish, and finally a little touch of rust powder here and there on the bogies.

IMG20221029183552.jpg.9122ab28eb35d0dc0b96047cf1cd7020.jpg

That looks convincingly dried out and dusty. You've made a really good job of that, I've got one of those and three low siphons to improve and that's the level of weathering I am going to aim for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

More weathering today - i think I've had just about enough of it for now though!  All the usual methods used here:  frame dirt sprayed on the chassis and lower body, dark wash on the woodwork, black powder applied sparingly to the roof with a large soft brush, then sealed with matt varnish, and finally a little touch of rust powder here and there on the bogies.

IMG20221029183552.jpg.9122ab28eb35d0dc0b96047cf1cd7020.jpg

That's simply splendid - a superb "hard-working but cared-for" look.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, longchap said:

Your weathering skills with airbrush assistance are progressing nicely, I'll do some more note typing ce soir, as have been finishing the surgery on my Pannier top feed this afternoon.

Thanks Bill.  Getting the right consistency of paint seems to be one of the trickiest parts, to be honest...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That looks convincingly dried out and dusty. You've made a really good job of that, I've got one of those and three low siphons to improve and that's the level of weathering I am going to aim for.

47 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

That's simply splendid - a superb "hard-working but cared-for" look.

Thanks very much chaps.  I have a couple of other Siphons to spruce up, one of which will need a complete repaint from BR blue.  But as mentioned I think I've almost had my fill of weathering for the time being, so perhaps I will shift targets.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 23/10/2022 at 21:18, Harlequin said:

Preservation. They have done some research and made a judgement that may or may not be right. Take with a large pinch of salt.

Umm, have to agree. I was told about one railway that sent paint for analysis so they could get a matching shade for restoration. One of the early volunteers found out and came out with the gem that they had "mixed that colour from various tins they had at home until it looked about right, then whacked it on one weekend sometime in early 1970's". . . . .

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2022 at 20:53, Graham T said:

Thanks Bill.  Getting the right consistency of paint seems to be one of the trickiest parts, to be honest...

Almost finished my notes Graham, which will probably be with you after tomorrow's visitors depart.

You'll soon get the right combination and are probably pretty close right now, although shuffling with more than one variable would be tricky, so stick to a mid point pressure, then get the paint consistency right. Rule of thumb is 15 to 20psi with acrylics and 20 to 25 with enamel. I only spray with enamels, but 18psi should be a good starting point for well mixed acrylic with a milk like flow. Push it up the side of the colour cup with a paintbrush and if it rushes back down quickly, add a couple more drops of paint until it's a bit more relaxed. Also spray from a consistent distance and steady speed. For weathering, I start my mist coats from 4" away at an inch a second.

More soon.

Edited by longchap
Spilling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Yes and linked to appropriate air pressure from your compressor.   

My compressor is a very basic one that came with the airbrush.  I'm not at home right now, but I'm pretty sure the air pressure isn't adjustable.  If I remember rightly it produces about 25 psi.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, longchap said:

Almost finished my notes Graham, which will probably be with you after tomorrow's visitors depart.

You'll soon get the right combination and are probably pretty close right now, although shuffling with more than one variable would be tricky, so stick to a mid point pressure, then get the paint consistency right. Rule of thumb is 15 to 20psi with acrylics and 20 to 25 with enamel. I only spray with enamels, but 18psi should be a good starting point for well mixed acrylic with a milk like flow. Push it up the side of the colour cup with a paintbrush and if it rushes back down quickly, add a couple more drops of paint until it's a bit more relaxed. Also spray from a consistent distance and steady speed. For weathering, I start my most costs from 4" away at an inch a second.

More soon.

Thanks again Bill.  I've got some small glass bottles on the way which I think will make paint mixing a bit simpler.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

But perhaps not so much for Herefordshire!

Very much so for Herefordshire. Ordinary open wagons and vans were pooled from the Great War onwards. There has been much discussion of the proportions of wagons by company one should expect to see but it is evident that since the LNER's wagon fleet was second only in size to that of the LMS, and both considerably larger than that of the GWR, one should expect to see the wagons and vans of both companies to at least some extent and quite probably outnumbering the indigenous vehicles. It's the SR wagons that should be the real rarity as the Southern wagon fleet was piddlingly small by comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

My compressor is a very basic one that came with the airbrush.  I'm not at home right now, but I'm pretty sure the air pressure isn't adjustable.  If I remember rightly it produces about 25 psi.

Well you get good results Graham.   I only use diluted acrylic paint for weathering and set the pressure for between 18 and 20 psi.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Very much so for Herefordshire. Ordinary open wagons and vans were pooled from the Great War onwards. There has been much discussion of the proportions of wagons by company one should expect to see but it is evident that since the LNER's wagon fleet was second only in size to that of the LMS, and both considerably larger than that of the GWR, one should expect to see the wagons and vans of both companies to at least some extent and quite probably outnumbering the indigenous vehicles. It's the SR wagons that should be the real rarity as the Southern wagon fleet was piddlingly small by comparison. 

Ah yes, now there I agree with you.  Sorry, I thought you meant locos.  I do have a few NE wagons but need to get some more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Well you get good results Graham.   I only use diluted acrylic paint for weathering and set the pressure for between 18 and 20 psi.  

Thanks Clive.  I'll keep practicing!

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I remember a similar conversation on my thread where you offered such prototype advice and I have since used that as a justification for the enormous wagon kit stash.

Don't worry, I didn't tell Miss R it was your idea, I blamed reality. 😎

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

For a change of pace I've decided to make a start on my small stash of wagon kits.  This is the Parkside (Ratio) GWR Beetle.  However, the sides are distinctly more reminiscent of bananas than beetles, with a distinct curve to them.  Leaving them under some weights overnight had no effect, so a bit of lateral thinking was called for...

IMG20221031131053.jpg.77ac3a6bb78d69d419c9a08407571d9c.jpg

Having removed the clamps. it appears to be square - so far!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Having removed the clamps. it appears to be square - so far!

Well done Graham, it's horrible when you find something like that. If a similar event looks even bendier, try dunking in almost boiling water for a minute before putting under pressure from clamps, or preferably a heavy book or two which will distribute the weight more evenly. I have the same kit in my stash.

Don't ask how I know this!

Oh, I've finished the airbrushing notes, so just need to give it a final sanity check and insert some links.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, longchap said:

Well done Graham, it's horrible when you find something like that. If a similar event looks even bendier, try dunking in almost boiling water for a minute before putting under pressure from clamps, or preferably a heavy book or two which will distribute the weight more evenly. I have the same kit in my stash.

Don't ask how I know this!

Oh, I've finished the airbrushing notes, so just need to give it a final sanity check and insert some links.

I've used the hot water technique before actually Bill, to bend plastic rod for downpipes.  But the clamps did the trick with this, so it wasn't required.  I've actually ended up with two of these kits somehow!

• Like 1